Using Mobile Phones In The Caribbean

Waju

We're off to USA and the Caribbean  in January and I've just discovered my mobile phone provider '3' doesn't include the Caribbean or Mexico in their Go Roaming package.

Does anyone know of any other provider who might include these places?  I know I'm on holiday but I would like to be able to talk to family now and again!

5 minutes ago, Waju said:

We're off to USA and the Caribbean  in January and I've just discovered my mobile phone provider '3' doesn't include the Caribbean or Mexico in their Go Roaming package.

Does anyone know of any other provider who might include these places?  I know I'm on holiday but I would like to be able to talk to family now and again!

Install Whatsapp on your phone and look for wifi while in port. That way you can call or video call for free. The last time I was in Curacao the wifi was all over the town.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 2:34 PM, caber said:

Install Whatsapp on your phone and look for wifi while in port. That way you can call or video call for free. The last time I was in Curacao the wifi was all over the town.

Most Caribbean bars wi-fi is way too slow to provide a good video link, but no problems sending text e-mails.

We are with 3. when we did Caribbean transatlantic decided to go for package on board. mainly for the 5/6 days there and back with no ports. Wen on the islands , where ever there was free wifi, found it very very busy, to the extent would not have liked to tried having a private call, or getting any sort of speed on the wifi.

On 10/21/2019 at 6:26 PM, Waju said:

I just need to know that we're still 'get holdable of' in an emergency! 

If you look on P&O website there is a process for family to be able to ring your cabin direct in case of emergencies.   I think they need your ship and cabin number.  If you are not there then they can leave a message on the answerphone system.  Costs a bit but if needs must then its very useful. We used it when my father was taken poorly.    Or they can email the ship direct and I goes it goes to reception.  

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Most mobile networks give you access in the Caribbean, you just need to ascertain the phone and text tariffs, which certainly on Vodafone are not excessive  except when you are on the maritime system when at sea.

Thanks, when I looked '3' charge £2 to £3 a minute in the Caribbean countries!  I'll make do with WhatsApp.

1 hour ago, chrisg1uk said:

If you look on P&O website there is a process for family to be able to ring your cabin direct in case of emergencies.   I think they need your ship and cabin number.  If you are not there then they can leave a message on the answerphone system.  Costs a bit but if needs must then its very useful. We used it when my father was taken poorly.    Or they can email the ship direct and I goes it goes to reception.  

Thank you.  I do always leave the ship number and our cabin details with a couple of people - didn't know about the email though.  Do you think that's chargeable?  I know the calls cost £6 a minute.

1 hour ago, Waju said:

Thank you.  I do always leave the ship number and our cabin details with a couple of people - didn't know about the email though.  Do you think that's chargeable?  I know the calls cost £6 a minute.

Yes £6 a minute is steep but readily pay for an emergency.   The emails are free (we had both) but inevitably there will be a slight delay in getting the message to your cabin .... our experience was  sea day and we were paged over the tannoy (including into cabin) .  Brilliant in my mind. 

You can also purchase wifi on the ship if you need to. You can buy a connect package, or you can simply buy a days worth as and when you need to (24hrs counts down from when you activate it). On the basic 24hr package you can use what's app at sea to send messages, but you cannot video call. My mum and dad have used this if they've had alot of sea days and need to check in at home with family , and then in port they will use the port wifi. 

Have a wonderful cruise!

1 hour ago, CarlaMarie said:

You can also purchase wifi on the ship if you need to. You can buy a connect package, or you can simply buy a days worth as and when you need to (24hrs counts down from when you activate it). On the basic 24hr package you can use what's app at sea to send messages, but you cannot video call. My mum and dad have used this if they've had alot of sea days and need to check in at home with family , and then in port they will use the port wifi. 

Have a wonderful cruise!

Yes we did buy 1 days internet on our last cruise as we had a lot of sea days on the way back from Canada.  I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked but didn't much care for the extortionate price of £12 per 24 hours.  We went to reception to enquire about it and the receptionist actually advised us not to buy it that day as the weather was bad and it wasn't working too well.

I'm sure we'll have a great cruise, thank you!