A Great Deal that Almost Wasn't - Now, Can we Upgrade?

friendswithdave

I hope I can post my story without naming the travel website we used - and not get in any hot water. 

Friends and I have been looking at a Dec 15 Koningsdam cruise for awhile, waiting for the right deal to come along. I know from past experience that demand is soft and deals great as the cruise date approaches in December. After missing out on a great deal because we waited a day too long, I called the TA I have used in the past and asked what he could offer. This was early October His offer seemed too good to be true - an inside guarantee for a great pice plus a Signature Beverage Package - at no additional charge.

Now I've always been taught - if a deal seems to good to be true, it probably is. So I asked - "is the beverage package included"; yes. I asked again during the call; yes. At the end I confirmed, yes. After not seeing it on email confirmation I called customer service and asked. Yes, we see it on your reservation. So, all is good.

I knew we wanted a balcony so my plan all along was to check back with my TA to see when rates dropped enough to upgrade to a balcony. I called a few days ago and the rate was really high. And when he was on the phone to HAL - they said they could not see the SBP on my reservation. He wanted me to hold while he worked on it, I said no, I know you will take care of this.

The next day my friend who is travelling with us with the same deal said the SBP was gone. We didn't really have it like we thought we did; the TA just messed up. He likely didn't really understand the terms of the promotion. So I called customer service and shared the story, asking what they were going to do to make it right. After about 90 minutes spent mostly on hold, they made it right. They offered to purchase the SBP for me and add it to my reservation, OR upgrade me at no charge to an Oceanview room which automatically included the SBP. I took the upgrade, and my friend did as well.

Our updated invoice shows we "paid" an additional $300 per person more than we actually paid and of course our Oceanview room with the SBP. We still want to be in a balcony near our other friend who booked with a different TA and is on Deck 6. Any thoughts on whether or not we will be able to do this for a reasonable amount - say $100 to $200 per person? I thought I would wait a few days then call customer service to ask about the upgrade. This ever happen to you all?

By the way, the current promotion includes the SBP for Oceanview and higher cabins. Price is increased somewhat to cover this.

Because you booked through a TA, you have to make changes through them. Have you checked prices on the HAL website? Since the agent's error has already cost the agency $300 pp, they may not be willing/able to bargain for an upgrade price. 

Sorry to be blunt, but if you wanted a balcony, that's what you should have booked.

A rule of thumb we follow (and we've only booked a guarantee twice, so we may not be the best people to give advice) is to book the category with which we would be happy should it be assigned.  If we want a balcony, we book the guarantee balcony.  We've never booked a category lower than the one we truly desire because there's no assurance that we'll receive an upgrade.

It sounds as though the TA messed up or miscommunicated somehow.  Before we book, we ask for the details in writing or we print the offer from the website.  If someone questions parts of the deal, we have proof as to what we agreed to.  

As to whether you'll be able to get a balcony cabin for an additional price near your friend on Deck 6, it depends on inventory.  No one here can say how much that upgrade may cost you.  And certainly, the upgrade may not be on Deck 6.  What was the problem with booking on Deck 6 to begin with if this location was where you wanted?  Passengers who want a certain deck or cabin will normally pay more for the privilege; however, our wish has been fulfilled.  No worries afterwards. 

As for the original deal being too good to be true, it sounded like a standard incentive TAs and cruise lines themselves offer.  We've received the same deal from HAL several times, but we never had a mix-up with the incentive.  If you are dissatisfied with the TA, take your business elsewhere next time.  

Thanks for your thoughts. We are satisfied with a guarantee inside or oceanview, but would prefer a balcony. If we don't get it, there will be no tears. We'll still be on a cruise with friends!

Since they eventually made it right - even better than right - I may give them another chance. I'm not happy the entire process (including initial booking) took over 3 hours on the phone. Clearly it should not take that long to book a cruise.

No booking should take over three hours to complete.  Usually booking a guarantee gets you an upgrade to a better location in the same category if available -- not an upgrade to a different class cabin.  To change cabin classes try to get an upsell about a months or less prior to embarkation.  You can keep trying for a upsell and will usually get a response sometimes at a terrific price and sometimes not.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, friendswithdave said:

Thanks for your thoughts. We are satisfied with a guarantee inside or oceanview, but would prefer a balcony. If we don't get it, there will be no tears. We'll still be on a cruise with friends!

Since they eventually made it right - even better than right - I may give them another chance. I'm not happy the entire process (including initial booking) took over 3 hours on the phone. Clearly it should not take that long to book a cruise.

Stop playing games, is my suggestion and then being surprised or   unhappy when the game comes back and bites you IMO  Book (and pay for) the ca bin you really want to be in.  If you don' t have terms in writing you will have a hard time proving what you thought you were told you were getting.          GOOD of you  to ' give them another chance',        Why  ?

Edited by sail7seas

If I were you, I would get the SBP guaranteed in writing.

The current HAL promotion is Explore-4, and in past years, it DID include the SBP as its primary perk.  This year, Explore-4 includes various amounts of OBC depending on your cruise length and cabin selection.   Your TA saw Explore-4 attached to your original booking ans assumed (incorrectly) that it included the SBP.   The Explore-4 promotion perks this year are the same for all levels except for free premium internet for booking a suite.   You said that because you had in inside cabin, the SBP was not included, but it is with an ocean-view or higher.   I have never heard of a promotion like that.   Maybe your TA is biting the bullet and paying the difference between your Explore-4 OBC and the full cost of the SBP ??   If you have the Explore-4 promotion, you are entitled to substantial amounts of OBC.   Find out what the name of the promotion you really have.   

Always have it in writing when you board the ship.

13 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

If I were you, I would get the SBP guaranteed in writing.

The current HAL promotion is Explore-4, and in past years, it DID include the SBP as its primary perk.  This year, Explore-4 includes various amounts of OBC depending on your cruise length and cabin selection.   Your TA saw Explore-4 attached to your original booking ans assumed (incorrectly) that it included the SBP.   The Explore-4 promotion perks this year are the same for all levels except for free premium internet for booking a suite.   You said that because you had in inside cabin, the SBP was not included, but it is with an ocean-view or higher.   I have never heard of a promotion like that.   Maybe your TA is biting the bullet and paying the difference between your Explore-4 OBC and the full cost of the SBP ??   If you have the Explore-4 promotion, you are entitled to substantial amounts of OBC.   Find out what the name of the promotion you really have.   

Always have it in writing when you board the ship.

Our promotion is for OCtober only and likely only offered by our TA. It is a free SBP plus some onboard credit. For our cruise it was supposed to be OV and higher cabins only. However, the TA assured me the inside cabin offer included the SBP. Later that evening after the purchase he emailed me (when I left him a message asking for the fourth time - are you sure?) saying yes - the SBP is included (so at that point I had it in writing). When I followed-up two weeks later, HAL did NOT have the SBP attached to the booking because it did not qualify.

In the end, yes, my TA bit the bullet and paid the $300 per person to upgrade me to OV which included the SBP. That cost them less than $362 per person to add the SPB to my inside room.

2 hours ago, sail7seas said:

If only Your TA is offering it, how could any of us help?

image.png.2234bd3b72cf704b9e57e700810c6f11.png

I'm not certain only my TA is offering, but a few other TA sites I have perused did not show it. It does seem to be a somewhat unique situation - TA making a mistake then providing an upgrade to correct their error.

Any extra perk your TA is providing has nothing to do with HAL, and they won't know anything about it until you board.   If the TA is providing the SBP for you then they are actually purchasing it from HAL and it should show up on your keycard when you board.   Travel agents routinely provide OBC, PG or Canaletto dinners, prepaid gratuities, or other perks.   They purchase those options from HAL at a TA discount, but they are strictly between you and your TA.   Make sure you take your TA invoice with you if the SBP does not show up on your keycard.

• Like 1