Poopy Smell on Serenade??

ravenchic

We took the Serenade of the Seas on Jan. 7 -14th leaving from San Juan. I swear it there were definite wiffs of poop outside on the decks on most days and nights. I kind of avoided being outside after that (gee, why didn't I want to play putt-putt?) . Also, the smell was in our bathroom (no not from us!) and our friends complained about it in their cabin bathroom as well. Has anyone else noticed this? was this just a one time occurance? (Don't they have an icon holding his nose?):confused:

Can you please tell me what deck your cabin was located?

I have always heard of people complaining on different ships of the smell and noticed a faint smell on our Majesty cruise in October. We are on Deck 9 aft balcony on Serenade on April 8 (yey, almost 2 months away) and hope I don’t encounter any problems.

On Majesty we were on Deck 2 inside and definitely noticed a smell in the halls.

I was on the serenade in 2004.

We didnt have this smell you speak of BUT our room was located next to a non public stairwell and garbage could be smelled if the door was open :(

Thank goodness it never wafted into our room!

But no sewage smell....

there seems to be a LOT of complaints about this. I wonder if there is a design flaw in some of the classes of ships......:confused:

or if certain parts of the sewage system tend to fail on most ships and they just wait untill they fail to repair them (thus subjecting us to a stank) :cool:

This has happened to me on the Monarch once as well. However, the phantom poop smell was only present when I had the misfortune of being on deck 2, (have also sailed her on decks 8 & 10). Once I moved upwards, no more smell. I am going on the Monarch again next month (deck 10), will keep you posted on the poop...:eek:

I was on Serenade and now getting ready for Grandeur. I never smelled anything on Serenade, and I hope it will be OK on GOS. We were on deck 7, and will be again in a JS on GOS. Hope for mine, and my mother's sensitive noses, we don't sniff it out. Yuck! That could ruin our many days at Sea.

helenp2 We just got back from a cruise on Visions of the sea RC and we were on the 3rd deck and we had the smell also in fact it made me sick most of the cruise I was not impressed with RC I have done Carnival in the past and this was my 5th cruise and will not do RC again.

We were on Serenade of the Seas in May for 10 nights, have also been on Brilliance (10 nights) and Jewel (11 nights) and have never noticed any smell - anywhere on the ship. Can't imagine what you were smelling. Also on Grandeur of the Seas several years ago for 12 nights and never had a problem.

:p IMHO & we've cruised "a time or two", this is part of "the Good, the Bad & the Ugly" of cruising. Sooner or later on any ship, any line etc. you're gonna encounter this problem. I know, someone's gonna say "Well I've cruised on such and such ship/line several times and never had this problem! They must be more conscientious, or tidy etc". Horse Feathers!! It's like bad breath..everyone gets it every now and then!!:rolleyes:

helenp2 We just got back from a cruise on Visions of the sea RC and we were on the 3rd deck and we had the smell also in fact it made me sick most of the cruise I was not impressed with RC I have done Carnival in the past and this was my 5th cruise and will not do RC again.

We will not sail with them again either. From the moment we boarded there was an odor thru out the ship, and an overall feeling that the ship was just dirty. We were in the 2nd largest suite they had and the bathroom and cabin were just not up to other cruiseline standards. Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't get what it is that sooo many obviously like. We had some really bad experiences in the dining room and as much as we tried, could not seem to get housekeeping to clean the bathroom floor.

L & B Cruisers is Correct! It happens on EVERY line, EVERY ship , at one time or another. Cruise ships are floating toilets afterall. I've smelled unpleasant odors on Carnival and on RCI, new ships and old ships, lower decks and higher decks. I've also noticed the same type odors at amusement parks, campgrounds, hotels and resorts, etc. Anyplace where you have that many human bodies you are going to have an odor issue at one time or another. I believe ALL cruise lines try to fight this problem to the best of their abilities. To say you aren't going to sail a specific cruise line because of a one time odor is up to the individual.

I've been on a number of cruises, both RCCL and Carnival, and I tend to agree with L&B Cruisers, it's the 'nature of the beast' that some twit is going to flush something they shouldn't flush and cause a plumbing problem. I have encountered the occasional sewer smell on BOTH lines, usually on a lower deck, but I wouldn't call it epidemic.

the smell was really bad while in port in puerto rico. bad sooooo bad that we couldn't sit by the pool. i asked a waitress what it was and she told me that they always have that smell while in port that's it's sseage and that once we started moving it would disappear.

we noticed it a few more times throughput the cruise and near our cabin (deck 9) but it was NEVER as bad as it was before we left.

PLEASE DO NOT FLUSH ANY FOREIGN ITEMS DOWN THE TOLIET!!!

Something to that effect is posted in plain view of the toilet area. And we have all flushed something we werent supposed to before. Not an easy repair, however it should be taken care of. The cost of a cruise vacation does not include "ode de poop." I would complain to RCCL!!!

We sailed on the Serenade last Feb, and had this same problem sitting on our balcony deck 10. You could also smell it out by the pool, not sure what the problem was but I guess they have not fixed it yet.

I tell you all, those swim diapers just DON'T work. ;)

-Monte

Just to clarify, and sorry for the request for graphics.....

is it like a chemical sulfuric smell? a garbage-like odor?

or is it like someone went doody and didn't flush? :o

"It's Howdy Doody time, it's Howdy Doody time"

-Monte

Archived