Texting on Symphony of the Seas

We are going to be on the Symphony of the Seas with our grandchildren and we would like to be able to text with them onboard so that we know where they are without making them come back to check in all the time.  Do you have to purchase an internet plan for all of us to do this or is there a ‘social plan’ that will work or do they have something that is free on the app that could work?  Obviously, we don’t want to buy an internet plan for all of us, so I’m looking for our options.  Thank you!

Messaging was not supported when I was on Symphony in January, but the RCI app does seem to have been updated to support messaging now.  At least that’s what it says for my upcoming cruise on Harmony.  You can check now.  Just download the app to your phone and login.  If you see the chat bubble in the top right corner then it sounds like it will work.  Only requirement is that others in your party connect to the sip’s WiFi.

37 minutes ago, parsec0298 said:

Messaging was not supported when I was on Symphony in January, but the RCI app does seem to have been updated to support messaging now.  At least that’s what it says for my upcoming cruise on Harmony.  You can check now.  Just download the app to your phone and login.  If you see the chat bubble in the top right corner then it sounds like it will work.  Only requirement is that others in your party connect to the sip’s WiFi.

Messaging has been functional on Harmony and Allure for months.  Maybe I missed it, but I cannot recall a report that indicating messaging was functional on Symphony.

12 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Just checked.  As of today,  the chat feature is not available on Symphony. 

Is the texting still limited to Allure and Harmony, or was another ship added recently?