All those wrinkled clothes

Boilerman

Hello all.

First time to this web site.

Have found the info excellent.

We're going on a Zuiderdam cruise Feb 4th to the Eastern Carribean, and for some reason, there states in the policy of this ship that no iron is available, and one can't be brought aboard :(

Are the costs to have your clothes pressed as reasonable as they say?

I'm somewhat of a nut when it comes to having my clothes ironed, and am wondering if it really is a big deal to bring an iron on board.

Hello all.

First time to this web site.

Welcome to the boards.:)

....wondering if it really is a big deal to bring an iron on board.

Yes, it really is a big deal. Cruiselines say NO irons, heating pads, or candles allowed in cabins. There are safety issues involved; fire and electrical problems can arise. Can you imagine a fire at sea?

Also - many ships have passenger laundry rooms, equipped with washers, dryers, ironing boards, and irons.

Try DowneyWrinkle Release - works wonders on those nasty wrinkles!

All of the reasons given are true - Fire at sea is a Cruise Line's biggest nightmare. Please do not bring an iron on board.

With careful packing - using tissue paper to fold each piece of clothing which you particularly do not want wrinkles in helps greatly. Folding as carefully as you can, and packing well, so that the clothing does not move about during transport. Unpack your clothing immediately upon reaching your room; hanging those items you are concerned about. Many times, the wrinkles will fall out, or those that don't aren't even noticeable.

Many folks have recommended "Wrinkle Guard" to use when you remove your clothing from your luggage - following the instructions on the bottle.

Also, some prefer to hang their clothing in the bathroom with the hot steam doing the trick while showering.

Sorry, but I am not at all informed about pricing for pressing onboard - but if it is very important to you, the cost would be well worth it.

Have a wonderful cruise - wrinkles or not.

If you pack carefully, you will have no need for an iron, steamer or that nasty wrinkle spray. Pack your hanging clothes in dry cleaner bags, your folded clothes in folders such as this:

http://www.ebags.com/travel_accessories/packing_folders_cubes/category_search/index.cfm?Ne=100&N=4001+20014520

If you do need a couple of items pressed, it is half the cost of dry cleaning onboard the ship.

Pack so your clothing does not shift, but don't pack so tightly they are squished.

Pack everything flat with a towel in the middle before you fold the arms and legs into the suitcase. We even packed my husband and son's suits this way. Not a wrinkle.

Someone on this board suggested to pack this way. I was skeptical and even brought along a steamer and wrinkle release. Didn't need them.

Are you sure there are no irons for use on board? Most HAL ships have a public laundry room that has irons for use by PAXs. I am surprised by this.

I guess you can do what I do-whenever I go on a ship (or a cruiseline) that has no public laundry I leave home the silks, linens and rayons-I bring more poly-cotton blends and the polys silks, poly satins etc. I am not a fan of polyester as a rule, but it does pack well. and I have found some great poly silks etc. that did not look like they were poly.

I also pack carefully, carry a small steamer and that wrinkle releaser-if all else fails-no matter how careful I have packed-and the steamer and wrinkle releaser does not work-I just turn on the shower -hot-full blast-hang the garment on the back of the bathroom door and shut the door with the shower running and leave it running with the door shut for at least 10 minutes-that usually will do the trick for even the most stubborn wrinkles. If that does not work and it is something I really want to wear then I cough up the bucks and have it pressed.

Pack everything flat with a towel in the middle before you fold the arms and legs into the suitcase. We even packed my husband and son's suits this way. Not a wrinkle.

Someone on this board suggested to pack this way. I was skeptical and even brought along a steamer and wrinkle release. Didn't need them.

Along with the towel and tissue paper ideas-I have read from a regular poster on the fashion board to use extra dry cleaner bags. She will fold longer items on a hanger and then put an extra dry cleaner bag on the item so all the item is cover by a laundry bag. do a search over on the fashion board on the subject of wrinkles and packing-I am sure you will find the posts.

I have also read posts that used dry cleaner bags to separate each folded item in their suitcase. I have used these tips and they do work.

Absolutely No Irons. another tip is to roll many clothes it works very well. you can bring a steamer. and hanging in the bathroom works too or a spray wrinkle releaser also works. and remember you are on a vacation and a few wrinkles are not a big deal, especially IF you are going to the warm areas with a LOT of humidity.

Archived