VISAS For Egypt & Turkey?

JoanieBlon

My husband and I are booked on the NCL Jewel sailing out of Athens on September 27, 2006 with with stops in various Greek Islands, Alexandria Egypt, and Kizmir and Istanbul Turkey.

I've been poking around a bit and came across this information posted on the U.S. Department of State website regarding visas for Egypt and Turkey:

EGYPT - *Passport and visa required. Visas may be obtained upon entry from the Entry Visa Department at the Travel Documents, Immigration and Nationality Administration or most major ports of entry. Entry visa is required for any foreigner arriving in Egypt for purposes other than tourism; e.g. work, study. Tourist visas (single/multiple) are valid for 90 days. HIV test required for study and work permits. Dependents are no longer exempt—spouses must also get tested, as well as any children aged 15 or older. Students are exempt from visa fees. For specific requirements, consult the Embassy of the Arab Republic of Egypt, 3521 International Court, NW, Washington, DC 20008 (202/895-5400) or nearest Consulate General: CA (415/346-9700), IL (312/828-9162), NY (212/759-7120), or TX (713/961-4915). Internet: www.mfa.gov.eg or www.egyptembassy.us

TURKEY - *Passport and visa required. Visas can be obtained at Turkish border crossing points for tourist/business visits of up to 3 months or through a Turkish consular office in the U.S. Visa requires a completed application form and a passport with a minimum validity of 3 months. Visa fee is $20 for single entry and $65 for multiple entry (cash or money order only). Visa must be obtained in advance for longer stays and for study, research, or employment purposes. Visa requires your valid passport, 1 completed application form, and SASE. For further information, contact the Consular Office of the Embassy of the Republic of Turkey, 2525 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20008 (202/612-6740/41) or nearest Consulate: CA (323/937-0118), IL (312/263-0644), NY (212/949-0160), or TX (713/622-5849). Internet: www.turkishembassy.org

Both of these state that visas can be purchased "at border points or points of entry" but the thought of entire ship load of people filling out forms sounds like a HUGE time delay. I'm inclined to apply for our visas BEFORE we go. Anyone have experience with cruising and obtaining visas at the port of entry for these countries? I am also wondering if the stop in Kizmir and then in Istanbul is considered a "multiple entry" into Turkey? :confused:

We have been to both the countries mentioned and, like you, I worried about delays and lines to obtain them at the point of entry to the countries. I merely contacted the respective embassies of each country and took care of that little chore before leaving home. It was quite simple and expedient, and much cheaper than using one of the courier services that travel companies recommend.

keep on cruising.

Robb

I think you should contact your cruiseline or travel agent directly with your visa question. I made a stop in Kasadusi, Turkey on Royal Caribbean cruiselines in October. We did not have to get individual visas before leaving. The ship took care of the visa process on a shipwide basis. All we did was get off the ship. We had to show our ship's ID card when we returned onboard but nothing else. I had a photocopy of our passports but we left the originals in the safe onboard.

I have never been to Egypt so I won't even speculate about their immigration policies.

Archived