Alaska cruisetour with kids?

JSSpence

Apologies for all of my recent posts, I am knee-deep in planning.  We are planning a SB cruise for 2021, and our son will be nearly 10 at the time. We definitely want to do a land-portion prior to the cruise. Are there many kids on the cruise tour options? None of the itineraries I've seen so far are "perfect" so I'm starting to think about the DIY approach for the land. But I also don't want to keep my kid cooped up with just us, if there are typically other kids on the cruise tours that he could hang out with. (Note: I'm going to crosspost this on other boards for Alaska and family cruising). Thanks!!!

14 minutes ago, JSSpence said:

Apologies for all of my recent posts, I am knee-deep in planning.  We are planning a SB cruise for 2021, and our son will be nearly 10 at the time. We definitely want to do a land-portion prior to the cruise. Are there many kids on the cruise tour options? None of the itineraries I've seen so far are "perfect" so I'm starting to think about the DIY approach for the land. But I also don't want to keep my kid cooped up with just us, if there are typically other kids on the cruise tours that he could hang out with. (Note: I'm going to crosspost this on other boards for Alaska and family cruising). Thanks!!!

We have done 3 Princess land tours. There were no children of any age on any of them.  The DIY approach might be best with children as you can make stops when every you want.  Princess tours are on a tight schedule and the coaches only stop for a break a minimum number of times. and there will be lines waiting to use the facilities.

I would strongly suggest that you do a DIY land tour.  Not only are there few if any kids on cruisetours, doing it on your own will allow you to plan it to better meet your kid's and your family's needs.  I would definitely post on the Alaska forum on Trip Advisor for ideas.  They are great there with ideas and even detailed itineraries.

With Alaska, the sooner you book, the more options you will have, the less it will cost (car rentals for example), etc.

• 2 years later...
On 10/30/2019 at 5:00 PM, JSSpence said:

I know this is an old thread but curious JSSpence if you ever ended up doing this cruisetour with your son?  I've done an Alaskan cruisetour with DW where we (40 & 39 at the time) were by far the youngest in our group.  I think the next youngest were almost 60.  I'm considering doing Alaska again next summer with the kids (ages 18 DD and 10 DS) so was curious if you did the cruisetour and how your son liked it.

Thanks!