Tell me about the Rum Factory tour in San Juan

fireguy091

It's interesting, they have a good gift shop where you can buy rum that's not sold any place else, they give you free drinks and it's free! We got off the ship and found a taxi driver (van) who took about 8 of us for one price and waited while we did the tour. You can take the ferry but you still need a cab to get from the ferry to the distillery. I would say it's interesting for a one time trip. Not a place to go more than once unless you wanted to buy the special rum.

I didn't think the rum tour was all that interesting. They do have free samples at the end. But it was early in the morning when we took our tour and we didn't get time for breakfast. So we were pretty tipsy from the samples on an empty stomach! Then we had to walk around the smaller fort in town. Parts of the tour were really stinky too! :( But if you are curious about how they make Rum, go for it!

I did enjoy the tour for things you can't get at a free drink counter in the terminal.

For instance, I enjoyed seeing the large vats used and to be able to 'smell' the hopps, etc at each stage of the process.

The gift shop was very reasonable. I got a Bacardi nylon windbreaker for $20 and a cool Limon' Martini shaker for $7. Cheap for a place like that.

Now if you just want to get buzzed, take the previous posters advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

It was a total waste of time. We did not go anywhere near the factory. All we did was watch some boring film, see a few museum exhibits, and see a guy mixing two cocktails. Avoid this one at all cost. On the way back to the ship we had 30 mins to visit the massive fort. We had to run around to see it.

Ian

Archived