Warnemunde

I read on some thread that there was a satelite Hertz office across from where the ships dock and you could arrange to have a car for the day. Hertz could not help me with this and could only find the offices in Rostock. Of course no one speaks English in the Rostock offices. Can anyone tell me how this could be arranged. Thanks - Charles

Hi,

I made my bookings via the Hertz website and used the Miera Kraftahrzeuge GmbH location (in Rostock). It says on my confirmation that this is the best location if arriving by International Luxury Liner. I plan on phoning the office soon to see if they will have the car available to me at the port and if they will be available after hours to drop it off (around 8:00 pm). Also, I did a quick check via Mapquest on how far this location is away from the Warnemunde port and it is a 10 minute drive.... worse case scenario if it's not at the port we will take a taxi to pick it up.

We are on the July 1/06 Constellation and plan on driving to Berlin for the day.

Hope this helps.

Reserved through the Hertz website for our arrival May '05 on the Connie, we arrived and got off the ship expecting to taxi to the Rostock office. I noticed the Hertz sign at the little tourist office at the Warnemunde dock as we got off the ship at about 7:45.

The office was closed but a young lady was opening up and said a Hertz rep would arrive at 8:00. He did (by bicycle) and my car was in fact at the dock! This worked out great and we arranged our return time with him at the dock, he also came back to meet us by bicycle.

Probably not the kind of story you want to hear if you're an obsessive planner, but everything worked out well for us. We were in Berlin by about 10:45 and left at about 5:00 PM, we parked the car close to the Berlin Zoo about a block from a hop on hop off bus stop, a nice TI right in that area as well.

If you book via the internet and let Hertz know that you will be arriving by ship, they will have a car right at the Hertz office at the dock. You can see the sign from the dock. For us unfortunately, we arrived on a Sunday and could not make a reservation online because the office was considered closed. I had my local Hertz office make a reservation through Rostock. When we arrived though, they had no record of a reservation(stupid me forgot to get a confirmation number). They did have a van available for us though at 63 euros. The other cars they had were already reserved by other passengers..It cost me another 60 euros to fill the van on return though! Still it was wonderful to be able to drive through the countryside and get away from the cruise ship environment. We had about 5 hours in Berlin, not enough but I'm glad we did it..got back in time to have a few Rostocker beers in port...it's only 5 minutes walk through the train station to lively Warnemunde..

Archived