Rent a Car, Sleep in Car?

VTengineer

Yes, my wife and I (upper 20's, no kids) are coming to FLL 3/31 for a 4/1 cruise out of miami...we're pretty budget minded (after spending more than we budgeted for the cruise & airfare, so every bit helps!).

we're already renting a car to get from FLL -> MIA, thinking about bringing food to eat until we can get on the ship, so we just started batting around the idea: instead of renting a compact car, why don't we just rent a big one that we could sleep in instead of paying an extra $100-$150 for a hotel room...it's just one night...it'd be like camping...

any other budget minded people thought about doing this?

I mean, we could get a full size for only $12 more than a compact, or a mini-van for $25 more...or we could splurge on a town car type for $40 more...

I could reserve a couple, then we could go check them out at the dealership and see how comfortable they are...all the while trying priceline to see if we could get a crazy deal on a nice hotel room...

where would we be able to park though?

Dave

Yes, my wife and I (upper 20's, no kids) are coming to FLL 3/31 for a 4/1 cruise out of miami...we're pretty budget minded (after spending more than we budgeted for the cruise & airfare, so every bit helps!).

we're already renting a car to get from FLL -> MIA, thinking about bringing food to eat until we can get on the ship, so we just started batting around the idea: instead of renting a compact car, why don't we just rent a big one that we could sleep in instead of paying an extra $100-$150 for a hotel room...it's just one night...it'd be like camping...

any other budget minded people thought about doing this?

I mean, we could get a full size for only $12 more than a compact, or a mini-van for $25 more...or we could splurge on a town car type for $40 more...

I could reserve a couple, then we could go check them out at the dealership and see how comfortable they are...all the while trying priceline to see if we could get a crazy deal on a nice hotel room...

where would we be able to park though?

Dave

When is your cruise? I wouldn't even think of doing this April through October because of the heat. It would weird me out sleeping with the car running.

If you are up for car camping, why don't you just take the bus or tri-rail from FLL and get a hotel room? Of season, you can get a hotel room as cheap as $35 a night and have a bed, pool, and shower.

as I said in my post, our cruise is 4/1. I didn't think it would be that hot beginning of april that we'd be uncomfortable...what's the evening/nighttime temperatures around then?

I see we can take the 10:50 tri-rail from FLL to MIA for only $3 each on fridays. so then we'd need to find a hotel to pick us up at the airport...and then I gotta look into a cheap/free shuttle from MIA to the port...

as I said in my post, our cruise is 4/1. I didn't think it would be that hot beginning of april that we'd be uncomfortable...what's the evening/nighttime temperatures around then?

I see we can take the 10:50 tri-rail from FLL to MIA for only $3 each on fridays. so then we'd need to find a hotel to pick us up at the airport...and then I gotta look into a cheap/free shuttle from MIA to the port...

It isn't so much the heat as the humidity. I think the average daily high in April is around 80 but you can add ten degrees for high humidity.

Archived