Iguazu Falls

Gitmo

We sailed from BA to Manaus in March 2019, and a pre-cruise excursion to Iguazu wasn't offered.  We decided to go independently, and it was well worth it.  

You may want to ask your travel agent to check whether Seabourn plans to offer such an excursion in the future.  If not, do discuss the independent options with your travel agent.  We flew into BA and overnighted at our hotel there, and the following morning we flew from BA to the airport near Iguazu.  Because we were returning to the BA hotel after Iguazu, we were able to leave most of our bags there and take only what we needed to Iguazu.  

We stayed at Awasi Iguazu , which was great.  You have a private guide during your stay, and he/she customizes your activities to suite your interests.  

It's important to spend as many nights as you can here as the weather is changeable to say the least.  Also, the views from the Brazilian side (vast panoramas) differ greatly from the Argentinean side (close-up and wet).  You should try and see both, though it's quite a long drive and involves a customs check.  The Melia on the Argentinean side is an ugly building but offers fantastic views and is within the park itself.  The Belmond on the Brazilian side has had a massive renovation in the last few years.  The Awasi in Argentina is quite new though not within the park and arguably the best option for miles around.

Flights to and from the falls can be erratic so you would need to build in some kind of buffer to avoid missing the ship!

Edited by Fletcher

Seabourn offers a two day excursion to Igauzu for $2000 pp on our upcoming sailing Santiago to Manaus.

I booked it myself with a stay in the Melia hotel, looking forward to this.

Here is a picture of Niagara Falls from this past July, from what I can tell the Melia won't be so close to the falls.DSC07977.jpg.66b7fc2de64c34c542541c75ce95f601.jpg

Iguacu Falls are gorgeous and if you give yourself enough time you can easily do it on your own for less than $2,000 per person. That includes air, hotel, rental car, helicopter tour and boat tour.  Plan on spending two to three days to experience the falls and the surrounding area. There can be flight delays and the weather is unpredictable but rarely rains for the entire day take these things into account so you don't miss the ship. Once you experience the falls you will never forget it.

Take care,

Mike

DSC00156.JPG

DSC00158.JPG

DSC00092.JPG

On 11/5/2019 at 11:18 AM, JohnandEllie said:

Seabourn offers a two day excursion to Igauzu for $2000 pp on our upcoming sailing Santiago to Manaus.

I booked it myself with a stay in the Melia hotel, looking forward to this.

Here is a picture of Niagara Falls from this past July, from what I can tell the Melia won't be so close to the falls.DSC07977.jpg.66b7fc2de64c34c542541c75ce95f601.jpg

Hi John and Ellie.   That sounds like what we are looking for.  I am looking at the March 15th trip, right?  I can see all the excursions, but not the pre or post trips.  Is it possible to cut and paste it here (or email me) the description from Seabourne?  

Edited by Gitmo

This is from our itinerary:

Duration2 DAYS
Departure Times8:00 AM
Adult$1,809.00
  • A flight to the crossroads of Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay
  • A guided walk at Iguazu Falls - a UNESCO World Heritage Site
  • An overnight stay in the National Park

About the Excursion

Day 1 (L/D)

Your adventure begins with a transfer to the domestic airport for a flight to Puerto Iguazu. You're here to visit the absolutely incredible Iguazu Falls. Located at the border of Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay, the falls are one of nature's most impressive monuments. The locals call them Big Waters, but you'll call them 'simply unforgettable' as you explore both the Brazilian and Argentine sides of Iguazu National Park.

Upon arrival, you will head directly to the Brazilian side of the falls for a guided walking tour and majestic wide-angle vistas of this awesome phenomenon.

Lunch is included inside the park.

Then, head back over to Argentina in the afternoon and check in at your hotel, located within the National Park, with stunning views over the falls. You'll have a chance to relax by the pool and gardens.

Enjoy dinner at the hotel and an overnight stay in a Superior Falls-View room.

Day 2 (B/L/S)

After breakfast at the hotel, you will head out with your guide for a second walking tour of the falls. (S)he takes you to some of the most impressive viewpoints on the Argentine side, including a ride on the ecological train to the Garganta del Diablo (Devil's Throat). This is where the horseshoe-shaped cascades drop millions of gallons of water per second over hard granite into a gorge 260 feet below.

A boxed lunch is provided before you transfer to the local airport for a flight back to Buenos Aires and re-board the ship.

10 hours ago, galeforce9 said:

This sounds really expensive.  We did it on our own easily enough back in 2006

Totally agree - this isn't the way to go.  Too rushed, too expensive.  DIY with the provisos suggested above.

we did it on our own after SB in Antarctica. We stayed at the Sheraton in the parkand it was great . We ran into fellow cruisers who did the SB post trip  that was in late jan 2018 .  any good TA can set this up and you'll save $$ 

We are going to the Falls from Buenos Aires in late January prior to our Antarctica Cruise. We booked through an Argentinian company for a 3 day and two night tour with flights, hotel and guide for less than $700. Highly rated reviewed company. We are arriving back in BA two days prior to cruise.

10 hours ago, lvog said:

We are going to the Falls from Buenos Aires in late January prior to our Antarctica Cruise. We booked through an Argentinian company for a 3 day and two night tour with flights, hotel and guide for less than $700. Highly rated reviewed company. We are arriving back in BA two days prior to cruise.

If it is not to much trouble, could you send me the information?  If that violates anything here, I can give you my email address.  I would also love to hear how it went after you return as well.  You must be getting very excited !  Thanks and have a great trip ! 

42 minutes ago, Gitmo said:

If it is not to much trouble, could you send me the information?  If that violates anything here, I can give you my email address.  I would also love to hear how it went after you return as well.  You must be getting very excited !  Thanks and have a great trip ! 

The company is 01Argentina Travel Agency. Their reviews are excellent and they were very responsive in our correspondence. Good luck!