New to MSC... Questions

Invero

Hello,

Long-time sailor with Disney Cruise Line (15 cruises over the past 12 or so years). I love the Disney experience, but have always wanted to try other cruise lines.

My friend and I just booked a last minute 4-night cruise on the Meraviglia out of Miami. I'm not really sure what to expect, or how it will conform to what I am used to. I've tried to do research, but I've found that MSC appears to be very inconsistent, and flip flops a lot with things. So I'm not sure if what I'm seeing for others will apply to my cruise or not.

I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos on the Meraviglia... she does look like a beautiful ship. Of course, all of those videos were when she was in Europe, so I imagine some things will change now that she's here in the US market. I know MSC has been making an effort to conform to what US cruisers expect.

Drinks Package - I don't really drink alcohol, so I'd be looking at the non-alcoholic package. According to the MSC site, it's $29 per day ($116).  That seems crazy expensive for soda, juice, and water. Especially since that embarkation day is a half day, and I've read it's not valid in speciality restaurants or on debarkation day. Does it include gratuity, or should I add a tip for each beverage?  Do you think I'd be better off just going a la carte?

Formal/Gala/Elegant nights - How do I find out if my cruise has one of these? And how dressy does one need to be? I'm a very casual person. Not sloppy, but I'm in shorts whenever I can. Dressing up for me is khaki pants, and a button down shirt. I don't own a sport coat or blazer or anything like that. Also, I read that standard daily dress code is no shorts in public areas after 6pm. I can understand the dining rooms, and even the shows. But what if I want to go out on deck, and it's still hot out? 

Entertainment - We have both Cirque shows booked already (Cocktail and show package). Do we need to book or make reservations for any of the other entertainment shows? 

Dining - We're fine with MDR for most meals. My friend does want to experience one of the specialty restaurants though. But when looking online, it seems we can only book them as a package -- meaning, we'd need to book three or four restaurants. I could not find a way to book just a single night for example.  Speaking of dining, how does dining in the MDR work? We have not been assigned a dining time yet. Are we always in the same dining room? We're a party of 2, so would we be seated with others?

Anything else that I should know about?

I'm so used to knowing everything about DCL... not knowing all about MSC is somewhat stressing me out. And that's the opposite point of a cruise! So hopefully I can get everything figured out before embarkation, so that I can have a wonderful and amazing first cruise on MSC!

Thank you for your help!

Being a Disney fan, you are going to notice some differences. That said, the Mega is a beautiful ship.

If I were you, I would not do the non- alcoholic drinks package. If you and your friend are sharing the same cabin or traveling together, you will both have to have it.

MSC's drink prices are not bad. I actually think they are much more reasonable than other cruise lines. When you purchase a drink, a 15 percent gratuity will automatically be added to your bill.

You do not have to dress up. Not sure where you saw the 6 p.m. no shorts thing. Even in the dining rooms, there were still people wearing shorts on the Elegant night. My husband and traveling companions wore khakis and polo shirts or Hawaiian/Tommy Bahama type shirts every night. There are also theme nights where people will dress up for that like the White Party - saw lots of white T-shirts.

Since you are on a special four-night sailing, I think the sailing will be very casual and laid back.

Recommend Butcher's Cut if you like steak. Ocean Cay is more seafood oriented.

You will not be assigned a dinner time until you get to the ship if you are in a Bella Experience. Different experiences = different times and dining rooms. If you don't like your time and/or table, you can switch. This is usually done on embarkation day and ends prior to the muster drill starting.

I agree with everything jdvmd has said.  I would like to add that you can reserve any shows you would like to see once you board.  There are touch point screens shipwide to do this.  I was on the Meraviglia last month and thought that the majority of the shows were outstanding.  Enjoy your cruise without the mouse!  

12 hours ago, Invero said:

Drinks Package - I don't really drink alcohol, so I'd be looking at the non-alcoholic package. According to the MSC site, it's $29 per day ($116).  That seems crazy expensive for soda, juice, and water.

The main reasons to buy this are speciality coffees and non-alcoholic cocktails. If this is not important for you, just buy the drinks on board without a package. Automatic tipping of 15% will be added, this cannot be avoided.