Tips for first timer on Norwegian

Mocamps

Hi everyone,

We've just booked our first cruise on Norwegian (Tahiti and Hawaii) though we have cruised with lots of other companies - Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Windstar, Silversea and Regent. Basically I mainly book cruises based on the itinerary and getting a good deal.

As a first timer on Norwegian, I'm looking for tips that will relate more specifically to cruising with Norwegian....... and particularly cabin tips (we're booked into a mini-suite but there are lots still available so I can easily swap if anyone can tell me if some have bigger balconies (we love sitting on the balcony!!) or if certain locations are better than others.

But any tips would be appreciated. We've found that all cruise lines have their own foibles and it's useful to know what to look out for in advance. Do we need to book speciality restaurants (and if so, when?), are there any little nooks and crannies that are underused?, etc. etc.

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Morag

Good guess, huh..?! The Jewel class ships are my favourite ships.  Big enough to have all the restaurants and lounge areas you'd want but small enough that it's easy to navigate.  

NCL being such a relaxed cruise line means fewer dress codes to worry about, either casual or smart casual; no gowns, tuxes or dress up nights of any kind though you're more than welcome to dress up if you want. 

Best part IMO, is being able to choose when and where you want to dine.  On the smaller ships, reservations really aren't necessary.  

We have been on the Jewel.  Upgrade to the Haven if you can swing it.  It's a world of difference.  I would make as many reservations as you can in advance.  Better to have them and change them on board rather than to get on board and find out the one hour you wanted to go eat is booked solid.  

The food in the MDR can be hit or miss.  It's worth it to try and find out whats going to be on the menu each night and try the items you like in the MDR on those nights and book specialty for the others.  We loved Moderno on the STAR but really did not care for it on the Jewel.  I am sure it's different depending on the staff on the ship.  When we went it was a full house.  We liked OShehans as it was 24/7 and you could always find something to snack on and drink when you got hungry.  Overall the food was not as good as what we have had on Royal Caribbean.  My wife loves the shrimpburger though (if they still have this).

Entertainment was lacking.  To be honest, other than a musician or two none of it was really memorable where as we still talk about shows we have seen on Royal Caribbean.  

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but its an older ship with less "Pizzaz" than some of the newer Royal and Celebrity ships.  It may be a notch or two above Carnival but you certainly wont get the service like you may have had on Windstar and Regent (Unless of course you are in the Haven).  But the Itinerary looks great and as a seasoned cruiser you will have a wonderful time.

• Like 1

Many thanks everyone! And keep the tips coming! I'm going to have a look at what restaurants are included in my package. We have the Free at Sea (which WASN'T free!) but am I right in thinking that not all restaurants are included in that?

We're well aware this won't be like Regent or Silverseas but we love the idea of being more casual and relaxed and we booked this cruise primarily for the itinerary. The Haven and Penthouse look amazing but are a significant hike in price so not sure we'll think they're worth the extra. But I read somewhere about bidding for upgrades. What's that all about?

Hi

I recommend you read the T &Cs of the Fee at sea and the dinning options on board the Jewel and book the speciality dinning as soon as you can . You can do it on line at my ncl or over the phone. They do fill up and only so many places are available pre cruise. If you don’t be sure to do it first day. Which ones will be your preference we love Cagneys , French and Italian in that order. We actually book dinner every night weather its in the main dining room or the speciality as having that structure to the evening works for us.

On embarkation day avoid the buffet have lunch in the main dinning room, for a much better experience. Breakfast in the main dinning is a slower experience ,so on a sea day we do that but on a port day when we are getting off early we have room service. Room service continental breakfast is included . There is an additional fee at other times and for hot breakfast items. 

You dont need your life jackets for muster ( in case you were used to having to take/wear them)

If you have specific questions then ask away have a great cruise.

Thank you.......all very useful tips.

I've checked and I can't yet book restaurants online. Any ideas when this opens up?

And also, I'm intrigued about this bidding for upgrades thing that I read about as I've never heard about that before. I do really fancy an aft balcony so would love to be able to bid for one if that's available (I'm assuming that would be cheaper than just upgrading now which is quite expensive and my husband doesn't think it's worth it!) Do you have any more info on how this bidding thing works? And when?

120 days out (3 months) and reservations open online for specialty restaurants. All 4 are included. (Cagneys, La Cucina, Le Bistro and Teppanyaki)

Bidding, they will send you an email or notify you in your online account. Doesnt seem to be Rhyme or Reason, I'd assume they try and maximize profitability for the sailing. (ie - Ship sold out based on occupancy but rooms are left open)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk