SeaDream vs. Oceania

cburger100

We've been on both and we like both. The SeaDream service is better and it is more personalized. The service on Oceania is more like a mainstream cruise line, which is good, but no SeaDream. On SeaDream cocktails and canapes are served each evening before dinner and the cruise director tells you about the next day. It's like being in someone's home. On Oceania you hear the cruise director talk about the next day on television, and she's trying to sell tours. We feel that the food is equally good, but on Oceania it is more varied because of the choice of restaurants. I feel like I'm comparing apples and oranges, but I think that is because we've only done Oceania in Europe, and only done SeaDream in the Caribbean, and those in themselves are two very different types of cruises no matter what line you are on. When we were in the Caribbean on SeaDream it was all about the boat, and very little about the ports. Oceania's cruises are extremely port intensive, and it is totally the opposite. We spend very little of the day on the ship, have lunch in port, and return to the ship late afternoon. I think if we did SeaDream in Europe, I would feel very conflicted because we would have no time to enjoy that wonderful ship. Yet I know that others on this board have experienced SeaDream in Europe and loved it. I don't know if I'm helping you at all, but to me the lines have totally different feels, and each one has it's place, in our lives at least.

Thank you Zimmy. Some of our friends say that Oceania "nickels and dimes" you. I did SeaDream in Europe. I arranged for private guides and drivers in each port, so I saw more and then had the time to get back to the yacht. It was the best trip I have ever done. I am so spoiled seeing Europe this way, that it will be very hard to go back to touring. Even a traveling bellboy on an A&K trip wouldn't get me excited.

I disagree with your friends; I do not feel that Oceania nickels and dimes you. It is not all inclusive, but no one said it was, and you are not paying for all inclusive. Yes, you have to pay for bottled water in your cabin. When you open the bottle, your account is charged for the water. You don't need to arrange for anything or sign for anything - it's easy. I don't remember what they charge, but it was less than I pay for bottled water at the movies. When you have a cocktail, or a coke, it is delivered with a chit to sign. We don't find it to be such a big deal. You pay for internet charges, but you pay for those even on all inclusive ships. I have heard this before, about the nickel and dimeing, but I for one don't see it.

Archived