Upgrading Specialty Dining Package Promo & When to Use

Hi y'all.  I'm so sorry if this has been addressed before, but I wasn't able to find a consistent answer anywhere so thought I'd ask here.  We're sailing on the Escape soon for a 7-day and I have two questions.  

First, an NCL rep on the phone told me a few months ago that I'd be able to go to Guest Services or a Restaurant Reservation podium on boarding day and upgrade the Free at Sea SDP promo from a 3-meal package to a 6-meal by paying only the difference in package prices (and applicable gratuities).  However, all the other reps that I've talked to today are unaware that this might be a thing.  Has anyone done so or heard it can be done? or not?

My second question has to do with when the SDP meals can be 'redeemed'.  It DOES say in the Terms & Conditions and FAQ re: the SDPs that you may only buy as many meals as there are days in your voyage.  It does not say anywhere, however, that you may only use one SDP meal per day.  The last rep I spoke to on the phone today suggested that this is actually the case (only one SDP meal per day per person with pkg).  I had thought that I might be able, on a sea day for instance, to go to Pincho Tapas/Food Republic for lunch with an SDP meal, and then go to a specialty restaurant for dinner that night as well.  Is this not the case?

TIA for your comments!

~Shoshana

To my knowledge, you have to buy a 3SDP at regular price to go from the promo 3 to 6. 

As for how many you can buy for a 7 day cruise, I believe that even though it states "as many meals as there are days...", I'm pretty sure that NCL will take your money if you want to buy more than that.

You CAN use your SDP more than once per day (have done it several times). 

4 hours ago, ICaughtTheCruiseBug said:

First, an NCL rep on the phone told me a few months ago that I'd be able to go to Guest Services or a Restaurant Reservation podium on boarding day and upgrade the Free at Sea SDP promo from a 3-meal package to a 6-meal by paying only the difference in package prices (and applicable gratuities).  However, all the other reps that I've talked to today are unaware that this might be a thing.  Has anyone done so or heard it can be done? or not?

My second question has to do with when the SDP meals can be 'redeemed'.  It DOES say in the Terms & Conditions and FAQ re: the SDPs that you may only buy as many meals as there are days in your voyage.  It does not say anywhere, however, that you may only use one SDP meal per day.  The last rep I spoke to on the phone today suggested that this is actually the case (only one SDP meal per day per person with pkg).  I had thought that I might be able, on a sea day for instance, to go to Pincho Tapas/Food Republic for lunch with an SDP meal, and then go to a specialty restaurant for dinner that night as well.  Is this not the case? TIA for your comments!

Shoshana

You can NOT upgrade your promo package. You may buy an additional 3 to 7 meal SDP. Your room key will shows the original 3SDP and a second 3SDP to 7SDP

You can use your SDP to pay for any meal (where it is valid). As many a day as you want. On the Escape, we often use our SDP at Food Republic or Pincho Tapas for lunch (on sea days) and a SDP Credit at another restaurant for dinner. 

Edited by BirdTravels

I would not upgrade to a six night specialty restaurant package on a seven night cruise. The main dining rooms are really good. We are now platinum and never go beyond our 2 night free specialty dining perk because we like the MDR menus better.

18 minutes ago, hladygirl said:

I would not upgrade to a six night specialty restaurant package on a seven night cruise. The main dining rooms are really good. We are now platinum and never go beyond our 2 night free specialty dining perk because we like the MDR menus better.

I was wondering about that HLady. It would have been worth it to only pay the difference, but for full price I was wondering if I'd actually end up not saving anything or getting much benefit. This is our first time sailing NCL so we're really looking forward to trying everything. 😄