NCL Solo cruising (Escape) What should I expect.

MIAMIMEDIA

This is my first time cruising SOLO.

I have taken many cruise on NCL and RCCL with my kids when they were growing up.

Empty nester now and still want to travel even if on my own.

I do many things on my own. Very open to creating new friendship and meeting new people.

Wondering what I can expect from a solo cruise from NCL... seating at MDR, activities and such

Any tips or thoughts are greatly appreciated

Every NCL sailing has a nightly Solo Social (or something like that, they keep changing the name) held in the Studio Lounge, or one of the other lounges if there's no studios on your ship, in the early evening.  Check the dailies.  Go to that to make friends & find dinner companions!

Or, if you'd rather dine alone, just request a table for one at any dining venue.  

NCL loves solos & treats them well... I love my solo cruises with them 🙂 

• Like 2

On all the NCL cruises I've been on the solo host arranges for a dinner for those that want to in the MDR, but it's always been right after the meet (so between 5:30-6) so I usually decline. I eat dinner by myself, with people I met at the solo happy hour or whatever they call it, or people I've met otherwise. 

• Thanks 1

I've traveled on the Escape twice as a solo and have nothing but positive experiences.  Having dinner in the MDR was never an issue.  I've always ended up meeting fun and friendly people.  I never felt like I traveling alone.  Enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Question becomes. gender nd level of attire worn. Having soloed a number of times on NCL (Male that dresses above the general level of attire because that is how I was brought up. If the room is a fine one and the staff is uniformed it is my opinion, rude to under dress just because the line allows it) I noticed that ladies have no problem finding shares but solo men not so much particularly if they do not fit the rest of the line. Tried multiple times to obtain a sharing table but as there are few solo males cruising and couples while they will comfortably share with a solo female are adverse to sharing with a solo male. 

Solved the problem by no longer sailing NCL. Cunard with fixed dining times ( 8:30 is perfect) and plenty of large tables of 8 & 10 and a skill at putting similar interests and general age together, it has worked very well.

So long story short - depends on the gender and the style of the pax.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It depends on the mix of passengers, I've done 2 NCL solos this year.  The first to Cuba, had a great time.  There were a lot of solos and the solo meetings were well attended.  The 2nd was italy and greece in July.  I was the only person that showed up for solo meetings.  After a few days though I met a mother/daughter that were traveling together and we got together frequently after.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Question becomes. gender nd level of attire worn. Having soloed a number of times on NCL (Male that dresses above the general level of attire because that is how I was brought up. If the room is a fine one and the staff is uniformed it is my opinion, rude to under dress just because the line allows it) I noticed that ladies have no problem finding shares but solo men not so much particularly if they do not fit the rest of the line. Tried multiple times to obtain a sharing table but as there are few solo males cruising and couples while they will comfortably share with a solo female are adverse to sharing with a solo male. 

Solved the problem by no longer sailing NCL. Cunard with fixed dining times ( 8:30 is perfect) and plenty of large tables of 8 & 10 and a skill at putting similar interests and general age together, it has worked very well.

So long story short - depends on the gender and the style of the pax.

I often go with the solo group for dinner. When I haven’t gone with that group and am eating in the main dining room, often I’ve found they aren’t doing a shared table when I ask. I’m a lady and I dress for dinner.

I’ve moved away from specifically asking for a shared table at dinner after a very awkward experience where they sat me a table for 2 with a man about 50 years my senior who was lecherous, to be very polite about it. But if they ask me if I would like to share at lunch or dinner I am perfectly willing to join a shared table-when they ask I generally get sat at a larger table with at least 3 others. However, it seems to me the meal for me that they always want me to share a table for is breakfast. Which is the only meal I don’t want to socialize during. Just me and some tea at a quiet table please. But other women solo travelers I’ve hung out with say they want people at breakfast and they ask for a shared table and end up seated alone at table for 8.  

Edited by lepidoptera
grammer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been solo on the Escape twice i am a retired senior and have met people in their 20 to 70 years old at solo meetings. I have gone to dinner and shows with them. But during the day time people like to do their own thing. So be prepared  to join or find some think you like to do. There are many events on the daily program.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1