?? about Kids Activites for 11 yo

vavasmom

I booked our first RCCL on Freedom of the Seas for April 1, 2007. :o

We sailed Disney in Dec and are sailing them again this April. I have a couple of questions concerning the children's clubs.

Our daugther will be 11 when we sail. She was okay with the Disney Kid's club but it was not where she spent most of her time. As I understand the RCCL club we will need to sign her in and out (on DCL she could do this herself). We don't have pagers so how can she contact us if she wants to leave? She (we) are concerned about her being stuck there not enjoying the activity. Each time she was in the club on DCL she knew where we were going to be and could either meet us or page us if she wanted to go. What types of lines are encountered duringthe checkin/checkout. I admit I really liked not having to stand in the DCL line when I came to pick her up a few times - she just went to the counselor and signed herself out.

My impression is the activites seem to foucs more on science, art, and organized games and less on video games/computers - is this a correct assumption for her age group?

Finally, we have late dinner because it worked so well for us on DCL in Dec. Is she destined to miss all the best activites if she eats in the main dining room? Is there somewhere online a scan of the kid's program guide (compass?). She enjoys dressing up, loves to try new foods, and often eats from the "adult" menu (as opposed to the Kids menu) so I don't think Windjammer each night is an option - I may do that so we can try one of the "non-included" restaurants since she isn't 13. DH and I are already discussing how to tag team the concierge lounge before dinner (we are staying in a suite) a few nights.

Thanks for any information. We are very excited about this cruise (and it is 15 months away!)

As an 11 year old, she will be able to sign herself out as long as you give permission. We found early seating works better as most of the main activities are from 7 to 10pm. Our son would eat and then go up around 7:30 - 8pm.

I was curious yesterday about the kids program for my daughter which will be 12 on our next cruise. She is going into a new age group so we wanted to see what to expect. On www.cruiseclues.com they have a few samples of the compasses. Be sure to enlarge the picture so you can see them. Radio from these boards was kind enough to post a sample day for each age group. In past experience early seating does work best for the kids programs. Unfortunately we enjoy late seating so if there is something she wants to do that evening we get her fed in the Windjammer and let her enjoy herself with her new friends.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Thanks for all the info. The cruiseclues website seems to have a lot of information. DD will be happy to know that it is possible to give her sign-out privs in case she does not like the activity - I think that is her biggest concern.

My DD was 10 on our cruise last June. She was able to sign herself in and out.

My DD had a blast and spent all of her time in the clubs (she did eat dinner with us every night and she went on shore excursions with us). She BEGGED for me to let her stay in the Late Night Party Zone (or whatever they call it after 10 pm). We had to pay, I think, $10 extra per hour for her to do that. We made her come in at midnight, though, every night.

Whenever I went up to check on her she was having a ball. One time they were jumping around doing cartwheels. Another time playing a game, etc. One time my mom saw DD participating with the other kids on a scavenger hunt.

My DD is quite outgoing and made lots of friends.

Maggie

Unless the after hours cost has changed this year, it was $5.00 hour last November. Gagaball contests seemed to be the rage at the time! My DD was 11 and paid her own way to stay late! Seems to me I remember she could sign herself in, however I didn't give her permission to sign out. I had to go sign her out.

Unless the after hours cost has changed this year, it was $5.00 hour last November. Gagaball contests seemed to be the rage at the time! My DD was 11 and paid her own way to stay late! Seems to me I remember she could sign herself in, however I didn't give her permission to sign out. I had to go sign her out.

The use of the children's facilities by the children costs extra?

Here are a few links:

http://boards1.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php?t-87495.html (an older thread mentioning gagaball and kids activities)

http://fubini.swarthmore.edu/CPAC/gaga.html (rules for gaga ball - don't know if they are the same as on a ship)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ga-ga (and an excellent summary from Wikipedia)

Mark

Last year our DD, then age 8 almost nine was in the 9-10 group. After we signed permissions she was able to sign herself in and out at anytime. The $5 per hour charge starts at 10 PM. It is free before then. We always talked about everyones plans (DS was 11) and where my husband and I expected to be. If plans changed, we left notes on the bed where everyone could see. We also had main seating and also have that reserved for our cruise in a few weeks. The kids would have dinner with us each night and usually leave to go to kids club. I will never forget when my DD said "Mom, I want to stay till midnight." I looked at my watch and I said, "In the room by 12:00". Oh, my....don't think she'll hear those words out of mouth again until she is 18. (except on the next cruise).

That's cute. My 10 year old DD and I cruised the Mariner on Jan 02nd. She loved the kids club. She often was impatient on excursions because she wanted to get back ! I allowed her to stay for the late night thing after 10:00pm. I too felt kind of funny saying "be home by 12:30"! to my 10 year old :). We signed up for SOS on April 01st (Southern Caribbean). We are both so excited.

I booked our first RCCL on Freedom of the Seas for April 1, 2007. :o

We sailed Disney in Dec and are sailing them again this April. I have a couple of questions concerning the children's clubs.

Our daugther will be 11 when we sail. She was okay with the Disney Kid's club but it was not where she spent most of her time. As I understand the RCCL club we will need to sign her in and out (on DCL she could do this herself). We don't have pagers so how can she contact us if she wants to leave? She (we) are concerned about her being stuck there not enjoying the activity. Each time she was in the club on DCL she knew where we were going to be and could either meet us or page us if she wanted to go. What types of lines are encountered duringthe checkin/checkout. I admit I really liked not having to stand in the DCL line when I came to pick her up a few times - she just went to the counselor and signed herself out.

Thanks for any information. We are very excited about this cruise (and it is 15 months away!)

We are booked on this cruise in a suite as well. My DD will will 11 too! Come on over and join the roll call...perhaps we could introduce them!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=226654

Archived