Booking cruise on board

FundyGirl

We're sailing the Dawn on March 26 and have already decided on our next cruise in April 2007. Is there any advantage to booking while on board? I understand there are presentations during the cruise. Will we get the best possible deal by doing this or should we wait until the sailing date gets closer?

Kathy

From what I recall, the "deals" are: (1) the on-board ship credits for the future cruise that one gets depending on the length of the cruise, ranging from $50 to $125 per person, (2) ability to "lock in" to a specific cabin, if available, at the time you book the cruise, (3) ability to cancel and receive 100% refund of the cruise fare up to 90 days prior to the cruise date, and (4) ability to "give the credit" to whatever TA you might use in finalizing the cruise when you get home.

Now...I considered booking a future cruise while on my last one but decided against it. Not for anything special but for the fact I never make those kinds of decisions "on a whim," which is what booking future cruises aboard ship felt like to me, what with all the fun and high spirits and "how wonderful everything is" that one gets while on board a cruise. No "impulse decisions" just because I was having fun on my current cruise....

I did ask the travel consultant during my 15 min. appointment with her about the 100% refund, particularly if it also applied to port charges, fees, etc., and she couldn't guarantee that it did. Only thing she would comit to was the refund applied to the deposit given and whatever balance might have been paid *prior* to the "penalty phase" that kicks in 90 days prior to sailing.

Thus far, I have checked prices elsewhere for the same cruise I have been considering and, except for the on-board credit (which would have been $250 for my wife and I), I would not have saved any money signing up during the cruise.

Then again, booking on board might be just the thing for other people. I usually like to give it more time and consideration without the distractions I experience while cruising.

We have booked two cruises on board. We booked our Canal cruise while on the Dawn in October of 2003 and our upcoming Dawn cruise while on the Canal one :). In both cases we had decided that these were the cruises we wanted. We also wanted to lock in certain cabins. The prices were about what our TA could have gotten us (according to her) and the on board credits were nice. We did find that when there was a lowering of the prices, we would have lost the credit by taking them. Since credit was more than the amount lowered, we passed. Liked the idea of transferring to our TA also.

I often book onboard to be the cabin I want, onboard credit and often discounts or upgrades. Then I transfer the booking to my online agency and get a lower price but retain all the perks of booking onboard. Best of both worlds.

I often book onboard to be the cabin I want, onboard credit and often discounts or upgrades. Then I transfer the booking to my online agency and get a lower price but retain all the perks of booking onboard. Best of both worlds.

That is excellent advice. It's almost diabolical. I love it. Another way to avoid the temptation of booking onboard is to book your next cruise prior to leaving. This also prevents the post-cruise depression that inevitably sets in around the time you set your bags outside the door on the last night of the cruise. :)

We have booked our last 2 and upcoming July cruise while onboard the ship. Prior to going, I always researched the dates, ship, prices per category prior to meeting with the port and cruise consultant onboard. Each time they were able to get a better price then with the other sources that I would otherwise book from. Plus, the onboard credit is an added incentive. For the 8-10 day cruises we got $62.50/person ($125 total for the 2 of us). While on the Star last week, we booked a 7 day Alaska cruise for July and were only given onboard credit of $50/person ($100 total) since it is a shorter cruise. After 3 consecutive times of booking on board and getting better prices, I would not hesitate to do it again, even if I didn't do my homework before hand.

Robin & Chris

NCL STAR 1/06 (Mexican Riviera) and 7/16/06 (Alaska)

NCL DAWN 1/04 and 1/05

NCL SKY 1/03

S/S NORWAY 1/99 and 1/01

Archived