Carnival Email Re: Parking at Long Beach

Ak4n3

On 11/24/2019 at 10:25 AM, cmptrwiz said:

It’s kind of odd to me, because the people who own the parking garage have know the Panorama is coming to town for almost 2 years.  Maybe they should of been making changes 6 months ago.

As a retired California contractor . . . the approval process in Long Beach is unnerving, at best. Approvals with all the agencies involved in such a project can go on for years and years with studies ordered for everything. Then committees have to be formed to determine who does theses studies. Then a committee has to be formed to determine who is on that committee (I think you get the picture) They finally got approval to do this work which was sought after much longer than two years ago as Carnival had "garage full" problems  a long time ago.

Edited by glrounds
  • Like 2

I'm booked on the January 18th cruise. Previously we've been warned of this problem, but at that time instructed to go to 50 East 6th St. for parking and FREE shuttle to the port. Do both of these options now apply ? There was a "savings" of $8 per day ($56 for the week) attached to that information. Has this been changed ?

Edited by glrounds

14 minutes ago, glrounds said:

I'm booked on the January 18th cruise. Previously we've been warned of this problem, but at that time instructed to go to 50 East 6th St. for parking and FREE shuttle to the port. Do both of these options now apply ? There was a "savings" of $8 per day ($56 for the week) attached to that information. Has this been changed ?

I was looking into that lot last week for my cruise on Feb. 1st. Googled address and a photo of the lot came up and I couldn't locate either a website or phone number. I saw a flyer for the lot promoting the shuttle service at the lot and wanted to speak with someone there for my sail date. Nothing. Hope you have better luck.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 11:06 AM, VentureMan_2000 said:

I stand corrected ( correcting myself...  😂   )… did some more sleuthing...

There will be construction at the cruise terminal to support the new Panorama.  They will be dredging the port 6 feet deeper and there will be Parking Garage Expansion.  The project would expand the existing parking garage from 1,430 parking spaces to approximately 2,055 parking spaces.

So, it sounds like it will affect all parking during that timeframe.

Read here:  http://www.longbeach.gov/globalassets/lbds/media-library/documents/planning/environmental/environmental-reports/pending/long-beach-cruise-terminal-improvement-project/lb-cruise-terminal-improvement-project_june-2019

Be careful of clicking on that LINK ! Flat screwed up my laptop an hour ago. Still can't get out of it. Frozen screen. Trying everything . . . won't do that agaiin.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:07 PM, sanmarcosman said:

I was looking into that lot last week for my cruise on Feb. 1st. Googled address and a photo of the lot came up and I couldn't locate either a website or phone number. I saw a flyer for the lot promoting the shuttle service at the lot and wanted to speak with someone there for my sail date. Nothing. Hope you have better luck.

Here is the parking information for the lot in question. 

https://www.parklb.com/parking-lotsgarages/downtown-parking/city-place-a-50-w-6th-st/

Also, as the email says, Carnival has secured parking at the Convention Center. 

4 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Thanks. I'd still like to call this lot and confirm they will be operating the shuttle on the days we will need it. 

I emailed the City of Long Beach (about a different parking question). The garages are operated by LAZ Parking 562-570-8055.

We have several short cruises scheduled between now and March, all on Inspiration. I have not received any email regarding parking issues for our upcoming cruises. When we got off our last 3 night cruise in November, I saw a Notice of Hearing posted on the building, saying they were appealing a negative environmental impact report related to their requested expansion of their parking structure. 

Here is an article I just found on this issue: https://www.presstelegram.com/2019/11/07/long-beach-moves-ahead-with-cruise-terminal-expansion-despite-environmental-concerns/ I'm hoping that they won their appeal and that the construction will begin shortly. However, it is much too late to solve the Panorama issue. Already the parking lot is completely full, with a much smaller ship doing the 7 day cruises. Will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2019 at 12:28 PM, Ak4n3 said:

I hope someone sailing on the Inspiration would chime in if they received the same email.    I also sail on  the Panorama in January and I'm getting really anxious about the parking situation.  I received no email advisory for that sailing  though.

I was on the Inspiration this past September, and I didn't get any parking advisory e-mail.  I don't know if that's because the nearby parking deck was going to be available that week, or because I said in my booking that I'd be flying in (and wouldn't need the parking).

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

On 11/25/2019 at 3:50 PM, glrounds said:

I don’t think you will have any problem using the garage, it is open to Panorama passengers. I just parked there Saturday and asked about the garage closing. I was told the garage will be open for the Panorama every Saturday. 

We got there about 11:30 and there were plenty of spaces left. The $23/day is a little steep but it’s definitely convenient! 

3 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

I don’t think you will have any problem using the garage, it is open to Panorama passengers. I just parked there Saturday and asked about the garage closing. I was told the garage will be open for the Panorama every Saturday. 

We got there about 11:30 and there were plenty of spaces left. The $23/day is a little steep but it’s definitely convenient! 

Well, this is great ! On my roll call for the Panorama January 18th, I promoted the theory that the letter went out to the IMAGINATION ONLY because Carnival wishes to keep guests ONLY from entering and leaving the parking garage DURING THE WEEK, where as Panorama guests we will be entering and leaving on a Saturday and could easily have ingress and egress from the parking garage at that time.

I wasn't aware, however, that the parking fee had jumped from $20 per day to $23 per day ! Starting to make that alternate site look a lot better.

Edited by glrounds