Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale

viper88

Would you drive from Tampa to the Ft. Lauderdale the day of departure? The ship leaves at 5pm. I think we can make the 275 mile drive in plenty of time.

If we left at 8am and it took 5 hours to get there, we would arrive at 1pm. I am a first time cruiser and the last thing I want to do is miss the boat.

Would you drive that far the day of departure?

Reason for staying in Tampa the night before; baseball. I have never been to see the Devil Rays play in Tampa. I have been to 33 ballparks and my DW has been to 25. We enjoy baseball and always seem to catch a game on vacation.

Thanks in advance.

I drove it a couple of years ago when I had to be in Ft. Lauderdale on 17th street for work but needed to go somewhere in Tampa the night before. It took 4 hours so you should be just fine.

A great alternative to driving from Tampa is to take the Cruise Connection bus service. I think it is about $50 p.p. return. Great coaches and they will get you there in plenty of time. You can usually book through the cruise line, but if it is not offered on your sailing, you can contact them directly in Sarasota Florida

We have driven from Venice to Ft. Lauderdale for one cruise leaving early (around 8am) and arrived well before noon. We also have driven from Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Myers post cruise and have made it there in a couple of hours. Shouldn't be a problem.

We live in Orlando and have driven to both Ft. Lauderdale and Miami on the same day the cruise has left. Just leave Tampa N.L.T 8 a.m. and you should be fine.

My guess is your cruise leave on a Saturday or Sunday. If that's the case it will be weekend traffic (no rush hour). Also, 275 miles at a speed of 60 mph is about 4 hours and 35 minutes.

Last year, I flew into Tampa to spend some time with the in-laws prior to departing on our cruise out of FL. It took us 4 1/2 hours to make the drive. If you left Tampa around 8 a.m., you would get there in plenty of time. The drive across "alligator alley" is something to see during the day! Have a great time at the game AND on your cruise!

Actually from Tampa take 75 down (on the Gulf side of Florida) and across - it turns into Alligator Alley (toll road). I believe the interstate (4) that goes east from Tampa actually heads a little northeast.

I agree with going this way. We are about an hour north of Ft Lauderdale, so not near Alligator Alley. It takes us 4 hours to get to Tampa because part of the way isn't expressway. If you go the way hajekfam suggests, it's the majority expressway.

Archived