Airfare to Alaska - Please Help!!

alaskamasta

Hi - I just spent a very frustrating couple of hours trying to find reasonable airfare for our trip to Alaska this summer. I tried orbitz, travelocity, qixo, sidestep, etc... and honestly can't find a fare under $1000pp!!

Even if I had a bottomless bank account (which I don't) the flight options (especially coming back from Vancouver) were outrageously inconvenient (i.e. overnight layovers, getting in at 3am, etc...).

I will be eternally endebted to anyone who can give me some tips on finding good airfare to and/or from our cruise!

(By the way, I know that it is recommended to purchase through the cruiseline, but we're coming up a week early to go to Denali on our own and don't need the transfer on the front end. Plus, after sizing up the airfare situation, I figure that the cruiseline will just stick us on a horrible itenerary (3 AM arrival for example) and tell us tough cookies.)

First of all we need to know where you are coming from and where are you flying to. Also what dates. That does matter because sometimes the rates are higher in the summer.

Marilyn

Going from the Yukon to Florida 3 weeks from now to get on a Costa cruise is costing Cathy & I $2,000 - it's that last leg North (from Calgary to Whitehorse in our case) that's the toughest one. Shopping prices for a week, we found HUGE variations in price not only from day to day, but hourly - when they started to do nothing but increase, we jumped at what was available. Booking a week earlier would have saved us $500 or so (and we shopped all the discount online places).

Murray

First of all we need to know where you are coming from and where are you flying to. Also what dates. That does matter because sometimes the rates are higher in the summer.

Marilyn

We are flying from Nashville, TN to Anchorage on June 25th and then back to Nashville from Vancouver on July 8th.

Is it better to get two one-ways or a multi-city fare? My head is spinning... :)

Try a roundtrip flight to seattle plus a one-way flight from seattle to anchorage. From vancouver, you can take a shuttle (quickcoach.com) directly from the port to seattle airport so that you can catch a flight home from there. Should be much cheaper this way. Only thing is, the shuttle will take about 4 hours from vancouver to seattle but from what I heard, it's a pleasant ride. Hope that helps!

O.K. Alaska, I also played around with your airfares and I got to tell you from past experience flying into or out of Vancouver can be very pricey. I would also suggest as the above poster mentioned try Seattle. Much better prices. Also your dates happen to fall on weekends either Sat. or Sun. and that also pushes up the airfares. If I can think of anything else I will come back on.

Marilyn

If Southwest does not go into Nashville take a commuter to Midway in Chicago. Chicago to Seattle on Southwest then Alaska Air to Anchorage. The only difference on the return is the commute from Vancouver back to sSeattle whiich isn't that bad. We are flying from Vancouver to Raleigh Durham on American Memorial Day , we stop in DFW and the flight is around $400 (one way) which is not the lowest we could find but I have more leg room. If Nashville is still an American hub you should be able to get round trip out of Seattle for a reasonable fair then make seperate arrangements on Alaska Air. In this market you have to be persistant and check any place you think you can to cut a deal. Good luck

I just booked my airfare today from Washington DC to Anchorage and then instead of flying home from Vancouver, we are flying out of Seattle. We saved a couple hundred on two tickets that way. I found the best deal with Alaska Airlines today after looking daily for 6 weeks. For some reason flights into and out of TN are EXPENSIVE! Our son lives in Chattanooga and flights there are more than from here to Alaska! Have you tried other airports within driving distance? Prices could make it worth the drive. Good luck! I understand your frustration!

We had the same problem last year from right here in Calif.!!! Getting r/t to Seattle is relatively cheap with Alaska, Southwest, or a couple of others. But doing the multi-city that you described, in to Anc and back from Vanc seems overpriced because so many cruisers go this way. We took the r/t Seattle, than bought r/t Seattle/Anc and did not use the return trip. We then rented a car spent a day and half in Vanc, then drove to Seattle. These tickets came out to about $425 each compared to the $600 or so rates we were getting. In addition, as you said, they were the dumbest routings and times I have seen. They had us flying east to Denver, then back to Seattle and then to Anc, in about 12 hrs!!!

Summer airfares up here are pretty high in the summer. One thing you might try is an so-called "open jaw" airfare flying to Anchorage and then returning from Seattle. You can probably do this on Alaska Airline's website (http://www.alaskaair.com) under multi-city reservations.

The suggestion for a split ticket is good too. A round-trip to Seattle plus a one-way to Anchorage. Flights that depart for Anchorage from Seattle after 8:30pm are usually much cheaper than daytime flights. You get in around midnight but the long summer hours of light make things easier.

Something to keep in mind is that Alaska codeshares with several carriers including American, Delta, and Continental so checking their site might actually feature Alaska Airlines equipment to Anchorage.

Vancouver airfares are ridiculous so we've always used Quickcoach to get back to the Seattle airport. It's about a 4 hour ride but not bad considering they pick you up at the cruise ship pier.

I live in Nashville and found I got the best fare by booking with the cruise line when I had to buy an open jaw ticket. I flew Nashville to Minneapolis and then Minneapolis to Vancouver.

On the way back I flew on a red eye from Anchorage to Minneapolis and then Minneapolis to Nashville.

If you live east of the Rockies, all of the flights from Anchorage leave in the late evening hours.

Nashville not only has Southwest service, it's a Southwest Vacation City. We do more than sit barefoot and toothless on a hay bale, spitting watermelon seeds. :D

Roz

2 years ago we took the Carnival Spirit southbound. Plus arrived 4 days early for our own precruise touring. We could not beat the Carnival air fare price even paying $50 additional for flying in early. Flights were good as was service from Carnival.

We are flying from Nashville, TN to Anchorage on June 25th and then back to Nashville from Vancouver on July 8th.

Is it better to get two one-ways or a multi-city fare? My head is spinning... :)

There are so many ways to get cheaper airfare for your cruise, where do I start? Fly on Saturday, June 24 instead of Sunday the 25th on Alaska from Nashville prices out about $665.00. Two separate tickets-either AA or United from Nashville to Chicago and nonstop Chicago to Anchorage, return from Vancouver, on your dates prices out at about $595.00, although tickets are VERY limited on the return (only 4 seats left on the 12:00PM plane and only 3 left on the 2:00PM).

Flying RT Nashville/Seattle and a one way to ANC on Alaska prices out about $600.00. And flying on two tickets, again either United or AA, Nashville to Chicago and Chicago to ANC and return SEA to Chicago prices out about $530. Sure you have to shuttle to Seattle from Vancouver for about $25.00pp, but for $555.00 or so, these are the flights I would take (and I fly a whole lot). Enjoy the day in Seattle, go visit Pike Place Market.

All on American

BNA to ORD

Sun, June 25 2:42p-4:14p

ORD to ANC

Sun, June 25 6:40p-10:05p

SEA to ORD

Sat-Sun, July 8-9 8:40p-5:57a

ORD to BNA

Sun, July 9 7:34a-10:40a

We did the flight from DC to Seattle, then on to Anchorage, it was cheaper that way, even with a night in Seattle. On our return to Vancouver, there were buses going from the dock to the Seattle airport.

We spent a few days in Canada, so we took the bus to the Vancouver airport and picked up a rental car there and dropped it off in Seattle.

Alaskan Airlines has their own site. Our flights are not as complicated as some options. We have some people flying from Houston to Anchorage and us going from Chicago to Anchorage. We booked the cheapest I could find on the Travelocity search. The return from Vancouver, we all board Alaskan Airlines to Las Vegas, then catch red-eyes to our home cities. Southwestern might have saved us more money, but they did not book far in advance, and I needed times and dates. Play with your departure and arrival dates. If you need to stay an extra day on vacation, but save a bundle, try to do it. I don't have exact numbers, but we are in the area of $500 pp total. Now, try SW for Seattle round-trip, or try the Vegas connection (the city that never sleeps)with Alaskan Airlines. Confusing, yes, but you have to try all the options YOU can think of, we all just input ideas.

Maybe I Missed Something. Your Trying To Save $20 On Your Air Ticks? But Your Going To Pay For Transfers ? If You Book Your Air With The Cruise Line And Expend Your Dates , You Will Save Money In The Long Run. Look Your Spending A Lot Of Money On Your Trip And Your Cruise, Dont Cut Off Your Noes To Spite Your Face...

We're from the Phoenix area and the best AND cheapest flights were with America West. Nonstop to Anchorage and from Vancouver. We're flying in July 11 and flying out of Vancouver July 29th. We booked right from the airlines. Some flights may be cheaper, but the convenience is worth it. Our cost is right at $485. I'd say not too bad a price. All other airlines had connecting flights and were more expensive- at least from Phoenix.

I had the same problem trying to find reasonably priced air tickets for 4 people. Our return flight is on July 8th, which is contributing to the higher rates.

I finally used air miles. However, here's a tip....call one of the major carriers around 2a in the morning. At that time of night, any flights on hold that have not been ticketed are freed up. I managed to get the flight I wanted because the seats opened up.

Good luck.

Are you Platinium or above on RCCL? Is it possible that you could book your r/t to Seattle, then use Custom Air from Seattle to Anchorage, and Vancouver to Seattle. You can be very specific about which flight times you want and which airline. I've done this before, and know that it does sometimes save you some time and money!

Archived