Christmas Cruise

scendro

This year we are taking the kids on a Christmas Cruise (Breakaway December 21st).  For those that have cruised during Christmas, what can we expect?  Our kids are all “grown” (18, 21, 23, 25) and no spouses yet, and they are very excited for this cruise.   I believe we will be in Grand Cayman on Christmas Day.  
any tips?  

Their will be a mix of children mostly much younger than your children.But their is so much to do on the ship and at the ports you will visit.I am sure they will have a great time.Grand Cayman has many tours on the water in boats and diving adventures.

• Like 1

Grand Cayman we are doing the Stingray City tour -- there is a video on youtube and it looks like fun! What kind of rooms did you book for the whole family? We did a cruise last year during the holidays and it was crowded -- very crowded! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, C cruise said:

Grand Cayman we are doing the Stingray City tour -- there is a video on youtube and it looks like fun! What kind of rooms did you book for the whole family? We did a cruise last year during the holidays and it was crowded -- very crowded! 

Highly recommend doing Stingray City in Grand Cayman. Did it back in 2016 and it was some of the clearest water I have ever witnessed. Make sure you don't forget your camera - it is truly an amazing experience.

• Like 1

We are on this cruise too!

We cruised last year the same week on a similar ship. You can expect everything on the ship to be very crowded. Many people travel with their extended family, so a lot of large groups. Every restaurant full every night-make reservations if you want the specialties.

In Grand Cayman you can expect most things to be closed Christmas Day. Many of the restaurants that are open are already booked. I contacted The Coral Beach Club, they said they're open-but they're not very responsive so I don't have any other info.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

Never understood why ships that are at full capacity many weeks of the year are "so crowded" over the holiday week.

Cruise ships don't use capacity like most think it - to most at capacity means there's no more room. But with cruises 100% occupancy is only every room at double occupancy (with the exception of studios if the ship has them). Yet many rooms can have a third or fourth person (or more with some suites) making the room over the rate they use for "at capacity" if they have more than 2 people in a room. So ships at 110% of capacity with a lot of rooms having more than 2 people in it. 

Breakaway double occupancy is just under 4000. But max passenger is several hundred more than that. 

9 hours ago, C cruise said:

We booked a mini suite with large balcony  for the kids and then we are two doors down in a regular balcony.  

did you book the tour through the ship or with a local?  If the latter do you mind sharing the tour group? We prefer to save the money and book excursions with local groups

Edited by scendro
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, scendro said:

We booked a mini suite with large balcony  for the kids and then we are two doors down in a regular balcony.  

did you book the tour through the ship or with a local?  If the latter do you mind sharing the tour group? We prefer to save the money and book excursions with local groups

I booked through the ship - one of the perks was a $50 credit per excursions so I think it was worth it.. and safer through the ship

We are also on this cruise, and are bracing for crowds. Last I checked there were still cabins available, which I thought surprising. Perhaps Black Friday will absorb them? We are mostly planning to stay on the ship as we are looking to relax as much as we can and have been to most of these ports previously. 

• 1 month later...

For those that might stumble upon this thread at a later time I figured I would update....

NCL really did a great job on this cruise.  They had a special Christmas themed live show That was amazing as was pictures with Santa and his Elves that morning.  The ship was decorated with multiple Christmas trees (see a few photos below) as well as Ginger bread houses.  Various Christmas movies played throughout the cruise . Christmas dinner was also very very good.  Santa made several appearances too and I know they had a lot of activities for the little ones. 

2DDAEFBA-6298-4610-A8E5-BB2C2DD11F28.jpeg

D3F1C52E-DE80-4489-BDFF-13B6EF46F6B5.jpeg

E2D51D69-E2E8-4D6B-A45A-E2FA9C7F5BD5.jpeg

1F41F360-12E3-4AD7-8BAA-9984DFC3C41E.jpeg

0156486B-4C50-4C1D-B556-416CFAA3706E.jpeg

4433E948-808A-4280-AB39-E111B51122F7.jpeg

21C1D391-CB64-4FDC-A3CA-7EE09CDC1C63.jpeg

0D0F483D-45F1-4968-A410-061A28EAFA07.jpeg

Edited by scendro