one way car rentals LAX to long beach port and return

AandBmom

1 hour ago, AandBmom said:

Anyone have a good experience with this?  Can you recommend a car company? Car is needed for 24 hours pre and post cruise.

Generally you are hit with some not so nice one way fees with some of the major companies (there are some negotiated corporate rates you'd need to qualify for that can waive these in certain situations). As a general rule though a one way rental will be more expensive than one returning to the same location. 

I would imagine taking an Uber or shuttle will be less expensive overall than renting a car-- not to mention any of these will be a LOT less time consuming when you factor in pick up/drop off on both ends. 

54 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Generally you are hit with some not so nice one way fees with some of the major companies (there are some negotiated corporate rates you'd need to qualify for that can waive these in certain situations). As a general rule though a one way rental will be more expensive than one returning to the same location. 

I would imagine taking an Uber or shuttle will be less expensive overall than renting a car-- not to mention any of these will be a LOT less time consuming when you factor in pick up/drop off on both ends. 

Thank you for your reply. I got an uber quote and it's about $40 for up to 4 people. We're 6 so we need 2. Then another one the next day to the cruise port.  Looks like a minivan with different location fee is $86 plus the added convenience of a vehicle. 

1 minute ago, AandBmom said:

I'll look thanks. Do they usually have space for luggage too?

It's generally minivans or Chevy Suburbans so usually room for quite a bit of luggage. I'm in and out of LA all the time and I used to rent a car most of the time. With Uber being as good as it is now, I try and only rent a car when I need to go to multiple places or drive a longer distance (like up to Santa Barbara or out to Palm Springs). Otherwise its easy to get around with Uber and I spend less time picking up and dropping off cars and more time where I want to be. Most of the time it's less expensive than renting a car and a lot less of a hassle. 

From what you described the rental car would just be transportation-- if thats the case I would highly encourage you to look at this as a good alternative. If you plan on making some stops-- like going to Santa Monica for lunch or spending a night at Disneyland, etc-- then a rental car might make more sense. 

10 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

It's generally minivans or Chevy Suburbans so usually room for quite a bit of luggage. I'm in and out of LA all the time and I used to rent a car most of the time. With Uber being as good as it is now, I try and only rent a car when I need to go to multiple places or drive a longer distance (like up to Santa Barbara or out to Palm Springs). Otherwise its easy to get around with Uber and I spend less time picking up and dropping off cars and more time where I want to be. Most of the time it's less expensive than renting a car and a lot less of a hassle. 

From what you described the rental car would just be transportation-- if thats the case I would highly encourage you to look at this as a good alternative. If you plan on making some stops-- like going to Santa Monica for lunch or spending a night at Disneyland, etc-- then a rental car might make more sense. 

Lots to consider thank you. I will look into shuttles too. Perhaps staying at the airport for the night and doing a shuttle to the port in the am from LAX makes most sense.  

4 minutes ago, AandBmom said:

Perhaps staying at the airport for the night and doing a shuttle to the port in the am from LAX makes most sense.  

You are still most likely going to get a better deal with UberXL-- shuttles are usually around $90 for a group your size whereas Uber/Lyft are going to be in the $55-60 range for a large enough vehicle for 6 people and bags.