December weather

tgrace

We have always cruised in the summer and love the warm temps. We are considering doing a December cruise this year and I was wondering if we would be disappointed in the weather. Is it still warm enough to go swimming and snorkeling?

thanks for your input

We did the Liberty December 4th cruise, swam with the Stingrays in Cayman and spent a lot of time on the beach in Costa Maya. It was very warm. We were in summer attire the whole time.

YMMV!!! So keep your fingers crossed. We have decided that we will probably cruise that time of year, every year!

December is my ideal month to cruise. It's cold back home so it's a treat to get away. Prices are low. Less children since the first couple of weeks of December are right between Thanksgiving and Christmas vacations. And yes, the water temperature is great for swimming/snorkeling.

I agree with Cotton's posts. We always cruise in Feb, and we're always in our shorts, tanks and bathing suits the entire time!

Worst part is leaving in shorts, getting on the plane, and arriving back in the Northeast where there was a snow storm while being away!! :mad:

I agree that cruising in December has advantages...It's not deadly hot in the tropical ports (a great opportunity to see Mayan ruins and that kind of thing without being miserably hot!) BUT. I don't plan to do it again simply because one of my favorite things about cruising is being able to get a tan out by the pool on sea days and while I enjoy the more moderate temps, when you add the wind that comes from a moving ship, it's a little chilly (for me) to lay out or get in the pool. Nobody above the age of 12 was in the pools on the sea days (except for during the synchronized swimming contest...) and the hot tub was jam-packed! I was able to sit in the sun to watch some of the outdoor activities but I was wearing pants and long sleeves. There were some people wearing bathing suits and out in the sun but they were few and far between. Perhaps if the cruise leaves from south Florida it's warmer, but in all I think I'll stick to warmer months. Though I know for some people that would be paradise! To each his own!

I cruised this past December and we had a really cold embarkation day (had to wear heavy jackets at muster drill), a cold and windy first sea day, 80 degree but rainy weather in Cozumel, mid 70s but sunny in Progreso, and a really warm sea day, and 70 degrees at disembarkation in Galveston.

Archived