car rental from Orlando to Port Canaveral, also return flight times

letsgocruz1

Originally we had planned to drive down to PC (a 14 hr drive) but I found airplance tickets for $205 pp for a non-stop 2 hr flight into MCO. Yippee!! No long car trip. :) Anyway, I think we are going to rent a car at the airport and drive to the Port and drop it off, and let them shuttle us to the port. My questions:

Do the car rental people shuttle you as soon as you drop the car off or do they make you stand around and wait for others? We plan on arriving early, like 10:30, so we can go on and get in line to board...hope to be on the ship as soon as they'll let us! I was just wondering if they'll take us right on over to the port, cause I know we'll all be getting impatient!

Second, we also will rent a car one way to drive back to the airport. They will pick us up and take us back to get the car, correct? How do they know when to pick you up? Will they just be making runs all morning, or do you call them, or what? Are they pretty prompt or do you have to stand around and wait?

And last, we have a choice of two return flight times that are feasible. One is a non-stop leaving at 6:40 pm, so we would have the afternoon to kill doing something fun, but it puts us getting home pretty late (we live 1.5 hrs from the airport) The other option is a flight that leaves at 1:14 pm. It has a layover in Cincinnati, but we would be getting back to the airport around 5:30, so much earlier. Will a 1:14 flight time give us plenty of time to be shuttled to our rental car, drive to the port, drop the car off and check in for our flight? I am just afraid we'll be pushing it, and I have to admit, the idea of staying on board that morning and being one of the last pax off sounds great. No stressing! Any advice? We have only recently started crusing, and haven't flown in for a cruise, so all of this is new to me. Thank you in advance.:) Oh, one more thing..is one rental car agency as good as the next? Anything I should watch out for. It seems budget has the cheapest prices.

Originally we had planned to drive down to PC (a 14 hr drive) but I found airplance tickets for $205 pp for a non-stop 2 hr flight into MCO. Yippee!! No long car trip. :) Anyway, I think we are going to rent a car at the airport and drive to the Port and drop it off, and let them shuttle us to the port. My questions:

Do the car rental people shuttle you as soon as you drop the car off or do they make you stand around and wait for others? We plan on arriving early, like 10:30, so we can go on and get in line to board...hope to be on the ship as soon as they'll let us! I was just wondering if they'll take us right on over to the port, cause I know we'll all be getting impatient!

Second, we also will rent a car one way to drive back to the airport. They will pick us up and take us back to get the car, correct? How do they know when to pick you up? Will they just be making runs all morning, or do you call them, or what? Are they pretty prompt or do you have to stand around and wait?

And last, we have a choice of two return flight times that are feasible. One is a non-stop leaving at 6:40 pm, so we would have the afternoon to kill doing something fun, but it puts us getting home pretty late (we live 1.5 hrs from the airport) The other option is a flight that leaves at 1:14 pm. It has a layover in Cincinnati, but we would be getting back to the airport around 5:30, so much earlier. Will a 1:14 flight time give us plenty of time to be shuttled to our rental car, drive to the port, drop the car off and check in for our flight? I am just afraid we'll be pushing it, and I have to admit, the idea of staying on board that morning and being one of the last pax off sounds great. No stressing! Any advice? We have only recently started crusing, and haven't flown in for a cruise, so all of this is new to me. Thank you in advance.:) Oh, one more thing..is one rental car agency as good as the next? Anything I should watch out for. It seems budget has the cheapest prices.

I guess I would have a few questions for you to answer the ?s

Where are you coming from? Where is home? and then are you late night people or are asleep at 8pm. And are kids envolved?

I have cruised about 11 times with three cruises out of Port Can, I have done transfers, (shuttle Arts), and I am leaving on the 11th and I am doing the budget car rental thing. I have used others but its my understanding that budget is closest to the terminal. ( and some charge you drop off fees and Budget doesn't) If you do think the shuttle is slow just hire a taxi it should maybe cost you $10.00 plus tip to go to terminal its very close.

The ride from Mco to port Can., should take you 45 mins are you staying over the night in port can? or just flying in the day of the cruise?

Hope this helps some if not ask away.. Enjoy your Cruise! Which Cruise are you going on?

Do the car rental people shuttle you as soon as you drop the car off or do they make you stand around and wait for others? They will pick us up and take us back to get the car, correct? How do they know when to pick you up? Will they just be making runs all morning, or do you call them, or what? Are they pretty prompt or do you have to stand around and wait?
No, you shouldn't have to wait more than a few minutes. Obviously if someone is there dropping off the same time as you, you would have to wait for them, but they won't make you stand around waiting to see if someone is going to get there. Yes they will pick you up afterward, remind them of your reservation when you drop off the car. However, we rented with Avis last time and did have to call them.

Budget is the closest, but Avis and Hertz (we've used both) weren't much farther. Keep in mind these are not the large lots like at the airport. Imagine a small, independent used car lot like you might see at home.

Oh, one more thing..is one rental car agency as good as the next? Anything I should watch out for. It seems budget has the cheapest prices.
Go with price. In general they're all the same, although we've had varied degrees of customer service over the years. Extra insurance isn't necessary unless your policy doesn't cover you driving other vehicles. Check you policy. And don't let them tell you that you can return the car on empty, they'll gouge you on the price. Tell you'll fill it up before you return it.

And last, we have a choice of two return flight times that are feasible.
The 1:14 would be doable, but I don't think you could hang out and wait to be one of the last off the ship. Considering you might have to wait for the shuttle/van, then will have to wait in line for your rental (small lot, not a lot of agents - maybe 2) and then possible traffic getting back to MCO; I wouldn't wait til 10 to be kicked off, but I also wouldn't try and be the first off at 7:45 either.

If the drive home wouldn't be completely undoable for you, I'd take the later flight and enjoy a leisurely afternoon to end the cruise. Kennedy Space Center is right near the port.

HTH :)

I guess I would have a few questions for you to answer the ?s

Where are you coming from? Where is home? and then are you late night people or are asleep at 8pm. And are kids envolved?

I have cruised about 11 times with three cruises out of Port Can, I have done transfers, (shuttle Arts), and I am leaving on the 11th and I am doing the budget car rental thing. I have used others but its my understanding that budget is closest to the terminal. ( and some charge you drop off fees and Budget doesn't) If you do think the shuttle is slow just hire a taxi it should maybe cost you $10.00 plus tip to go to terminal its very close.

The ride from Mco to port Can., should take you 45 mins are you staying over the night in port can? or just flying in the day of the cruise?

Hope this helps some if not ask away.. Enjoy your Cruise! Which Cruise are you going on?

Hello,

We are cruising on the Sensation, flying in the day before our cruise from Louisville KY (are to arrive at 2:00 pm), we haven't decided for sure, but will probably stay closer to the Port than to Orlando for the night. That way we don't have to worry about the drive in the a.m. and can maybe sleep just a little later.

No kids are invited, LOL Just 2 couples, yes we are night owls, but the two husbands have to go back to work the next way. We would fly out of MCO at 6:40 pm, but between flying and then driving home, it'll be closer to 11pm when we finally get in. That's why I was thinking the flight at 1:14 would be better, to get us home earlier, but I certainly don't want to have to rush and stress about getting back to the airport. I guess we could take a shuttle so we wouldn't have to worry about taking the car back and handling all the luggage twice, but the car rental seems to be a much cheaper option.

Hey I found some discount codes at mousesavers dot com for Thrifty and Budget. Saves 10%, so we could get a van for the first day for around $40. Rates are higher going back to the airport, have you experienced this as well?

Oh, and about the taxi in case the shuttle is too slow...would they be sitting around outside or would we have to call for one? I just don't want to be left sitting outside on my suitcase for an hour while they dig up someone to drive us, LOL Surely it's more organized than that, one would hope. Thanks for any advice you could give.

. Yes they will pick you up afterward, remind them of your reservation when you drop off the car. .

Do you arrange to meet them at a certain time? If we take the later flight, we'd probably wait to disembark, be some of the last ones off. I wouldn't want the shuttle driver to leave us (see I have crazy fears, LOL)

Do you arrange to meet them at a certain time? If we take the later flight, we'd probably wait to disembark, be some of the last ones off. I wouldn't want the shuttle driver to leave us (see I have crazy fears, LOL)
Not crazy at all. Of the two experiences we've had out of Canaveral, when we rented with Hertz the driver was there when we disembarked, it was a Disney cruise. When we rented with Avis, it was an RCI cruise, we were directed to where the shuttle would get us and another girl waiting there had said she had called and they were sending a van. We waited about 10 or 15 minutes. Though when we got to the lot there were other people already there getting their rentals, so I think we had just missed the prior shuttle.

I think the agencies in Canaveral cater to the cruise travelers, so they're pretty much there as the ships arrive.

I edited my prior post and added a few things. Don't want you to miss anything.

I think you'll want to get off the ship after a while, things are all shut down, staff is none to be found, and its just not the same atmosphere on the ship, just my opinion..

Also if you don't see your car rental company shuttle van in the lot after waiting for a few minutes, as they do come and go..... then go back inside as RCCL has agents that will call and assist you.

Also a good site to get some info on port canv, is http://WWW.dcltribute.com it really has helped me to pick hotels etc....

Remember planning is 1/2 the fun..

deb

i'm confused. flying into orlando.....i rent a car from budget......drive to cocoa beach (staying 2 nights pre cruise at the hilton).....drive to budget drop off morning of cruise and then take budget cruise shuttle to the ship.

after the cruise.....do i rent another car for the drive back to orlando or should i just take a car service?

we are 2 families (8 people) traveling together. would we rent 2 cars or a large van? do we really need to rent a car? how much would a cab or limo cost to cocoa beach?

after the cruise.....do i rent another car for the drive back to orlando or should i just take a car service?

we are 2 families (8 people) traveling together. would we rent 2 cars or a large van? do we really need to rent a car? how much would a cab or limo cost to cocoa beach?

If you're all going directly back to MCO for flights home, then I'd check prices on van service versus rentals. Dan's site, DCLTibute.com lists quite a few reliable van services in FL.

Check rental prices of cars versus extended vans. We are 8 going down to Miami in May and it was cheaper for us to rent 2 fullsize cars then to rent an extended van that would hold all of us and our luggage.

I have been in Orlando and seen MANY times people getting car rentals and then get to the parking lot and can't get all there luggage in their cars. :(

I had a clerk ask me if I wanted a trunk in my car...Yes they do have one that just doesn't much or a trunk to speak of... very tiny car.. but they do want you to upgrade so do your homework before getting to the rental counters...

Remember when renting car's a midsize can be rather small in the trunk. JMO

I try to see what cars each company calls compact,budget, mid size, large etc...

By using various codes you really can get a suv or van at a great price as a mid sometimes. So check mousesavers.com and the site listed before in my reply..

More money saved is more vacations you can take... Works for Me

Try Mears Transportation, they should be able to help if you're booked on DCL, Carnival or Holland America.

I also have used a arts shuttle.. from port can to orlando. they have a van and a small trailor hooked to the van to put luggage in so your not lugging or setting on your luggage in the van on that ride, as its a good 45 min ride to and from and not much to see ... good time to take a little nap ;)

Archived