Celebrity West Side Treasures by Catamaran

Banana15

We were on a large catamaran. There is a dock at Pigeon Island. Never had to swim to boat. I’m sure excursion description would mention this if that was the case. People could opt to just go to the beach there. He could probably just stay on the catamaran as well. The excursion is all on the catamaran unless you opt to go on the beach at pigeon island or hike to fort. Near the pitons there was a stop for snorkeling only if one chose to. Many stayed on boat.

17 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

Hoping some of you who have done this excursion have the time to read through this.

We are looking at this excursion and desperately want to take a leisurely sail down to the pitons. We have been in St. Lucia  before, but have not been there for probably about 15 first time on a dive boat to all of the places this mentions except Pigeon  Island, and we did pass the Pitons. Our beach was Anse Chastenet where we did the diving and snorkeling. (The way back was so gorgeous! Rainbows everywhere!) Last time in St. Lucia we went on a huge catamaran with seats lined up across the deck. Had newbies with us who loved it. I don’t remember who the tour company was but I believe we booked through Princess.  We want to do something this time very similar. 

The big issue for us is though is my husband can walk & can go up and down stairs, he must be careful. Very steep, uneven, rocky, terrain, or more than about  20 steps with no handrail or anything to grasp poses problems. As long as he doesn’t have to do the rough, steep trails like that he’s fine. Neither of us will be hiking up to the fort or even hiking any of the trails. He is also able to walk through the sand at a beach.

Important main question, do people get off the cat at a dock at Anse Chastenet? I remember accessing the boat from a dock when we were there before. I do know sometimes people have to wade or swim from a boat to access a beach. Don’t want that. My husband wouldn’t be swimming or snorkeling at the stop on the way back to the ship. He doesn’t mind just staying on the boat for a while while people, swim or snorkel. He’s done it before. I’m sure he won’t be up moving around a lot while we are sailing.

.My concern is also any stops at Pigeon Island. Does  one has to swim to shore? Sounds like the boat is stopped there for pretty long.

There is another excursion on Celebrity that heads down to the pitons. Would have to check on the same issues ,  but of course it’s been fully booked many weeks out from the cruise. Not certain what type of boat. Just don’t want to end up on something where we would have to sit or lay on the trampoline. My husband would need something with a real bench or seat.

Some of you mention some other companies doing a similar tour. I believe they were Mystic man and Papa boat tours. Can anyone tell me what type of vessels they had on those tours? I’m telling you, we are desperate to do another trip by water down to the pitons just to see them!  

Sorry for the length of this but hope some of you can supply some answers. Thanks for any more information.

We were on a catamaran with a company called Carnival Sailing. There is a dock at Pigeon Island. Never had to swim to boat. I’m sure excursion description would mention this if that was the case. People could opt to just go to the beach there. He could probably just stay on the catamaran as well. The excursion is all on the catamaran unless you opt to go on the beach at pigeon island or hike to fort. Near the pitons there was a stop for snorkeling only if one chose to. Many stayed on boat. I know nothing about Anse Chastanet. This was not a stop.

njsweetie, thank you SO much for the info re the dock they use at Pigeon Island. Eased my mind a lot. 

Interestingly, I saw two excursions that sounded so similar. One was on the Celebrity app. The other one was listed with a different title kin an email I received about making plans for my cruise. I called about it, and the lady told me both were basically the same. It’s just that one is six hours & comes with lunch. The other one is 4 1/2 hours and does not include lunch. We booked the one that did not include lunch,.  I asked her about the titles, and she said don’t worry, it’s the same excursion. Just without the lunch. 

Fivelinks, with regard to sea sickness, if I were you, I’d use thie version of Dramamine that says less drowsy Dramamine on the package. You can usually find it at Walmart, Target, Walgreens, etc, and some grocery stores. The regular Dramamine tends to make people sleepy. It certainly did me when I first used iBonine is basically the same medication as the less drowsy Dramamine, so either is OK.

Absolutely do not wait until you are in a situation where you might start to feel motion sickness! That is very important because it’s usually too late by then. If you’re concerned, I would take one of these medications about a half hour before you even board the catamaran. Or anytime you are worried about motion sickness. But even five minutes before you get on is better than not at all.Good luck! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2023 at 5:32 PM, mlbcruiser said:

njsweetie, thank you SO much for the info re the dock they use at Pigeon Island. Eased my mind a lot. 

Interestingly, I saw two excursions that sounded so similar. One was on the Celebrity app. The other one was listed with a different title kin an email I received about making plans for my cruise. I called about it, and the lady told me both were basically the same. It’s just that one is six hours & comes with lunch. The other one is 4 1/2 hours and does not include lunch. We booked the one that did not include lunch,.  I asked her about the titles, and she said don’t worry, it’s the same excursion. Just without the lunch. 

Fivelinks, with regard to sea sickness, if I were you, I’d use thie version of Dramamine that says less drowsy Dramamine on the package. You can usually find it at Walmart, Target, Walgreens, etc, and some grocery stores. The regular Dramamine tends to make people sleepy. It certainly did me when I first used iBonine is basically the same medication as the less drowsy Dramamine, so either is OK.

Absolutely do not wait until you are in a situation where you might start to feel motion sickness! That is very important because it’s usually too late by then. If you’re concerned, I would take one of these medications about a half hour before you even board the catamaran. Or anytime you are worried about motion sickness. But even five minutes before you get on is better than not at all.Good luck! 

Were recently back and I wanted to follow up with how much we loved this excursion and best part NO motion issues. I also wanted to report how one guest in a wheelchair faired. It took several attempts for them to get her on the boat both at port then again for the Pigeon Island stop. Since there was no dock and people went down the ladder into the sea for our other stop she was only able to sit and watch. Getting back on the boat was quite the challenge even for completely mobile guest. One other note this excursion did include lunch for everyone so I am not sure if they had another boat for the non lunch option or if you were given incorrect information. Best wishes!

Well, my husband won’t be using a wheelchair, but will likely be staying on the boat. Yes, it doesn’t go to a dock there where passengers can disembark. Pretty sure it is not going to be the same catamaran because surely they wouldn’t give some people lunch and not others. Frankly, I doubt about goes to pigeon Island. I think it will make a stop where people can swim if they want or snorkel for a little while and that the boat will stay at sea in that location. Glad you enjoyed your excursion with no motion, sickness!