5 Things Newbies Need To Know

seattlejeff

Going with a large group on the Valor, and there are some who have not cruised before. What would be a list of items you, as a past cruiser, would suggest to someone before they go. You can suggest anything good or bad. Just seeking some helpful advice!

Seeking things like:

How to pack, how many bags

What to wear on formal night

How much money to bring

Should I bring my own snorkle stuff

Should I do laundry

Thanks!

1. take advantage of the nice showers in the gym on the valor

2. there are nearly private decks on the front of the ship on decks 9 and deck 10....it was right near our room last year and we enjoyed it

3. take advantage of the sushi before dinner

4. take advantage of the captain's cockatil party...free drink night

5. if you want a little peice and quiet while at sea. go up to the top sunninng deck and go all the way to the front...nice wind blocks and very peaceful

have fun we did valor last year this week with 12...20 somethings and had a blast

oh and to answer your questions....

i always pack way to much and too many "nice" things...carnival is pretty casual during the day and more than likely you'll wear the same t-shirt/shorts to the pool on the days at sea...

we bring our own snorkels and masks....we are germ-a-phobes... as for your fins we bring ours...this year we are not though as they are a pain tote around with you through out the day

you don't need cash on the boat. your sign and sail card is all you need...cash for tipping, cabs and shore tours you book outside the line or souveniers off the ship

laundry...you can do that when you get home

How to pack, how many bags

The minimum you can get away with without having to do laundry. Gather everything you think you need then pack half.

What to wear on formal night

The suggested Carnival guidelines

How much money to bring

How much do you want to spend on souvineers and gamble. Plus bring a lot of small bills for tipping drivers, porters, room service etc.

Should I bring my own snorkle stuff

Not if you are flying (weight limits) you may want to just bring the snorkels.

Should I do laundry

See response to first question.

Pack as many bags as your airline will allow (if flying) what we did was pack an extra empty one inside a bigger one, worked perfect.

Nice suit/dinner jacket/pants and tie for guys on formal night, any style of dress for women, I saw many styles/colors from sundresses to glitzy sequined ones last week. Only bring money for your ports (souvenir shopping etc) everything else goes on your sign and sail account that you can either pay up front with cash (if you choose) or a credit card (we did it that way).

We had clean snorkel equipment from the place we booked with (booked on board too, paid the extra 5-10% but guaranteed that the ship would have to wait for us if it ran overtime)

I didnt do any laundry, but had overpacked anyhow LOL We mostly wore swimsuits or tank tops/tshirts and shorts/skirts and as long as you dont spill anything on them, they can be worn more than once, as no one looks at what youre wearing (why bother when there are 2000+ ppl on board)??

Hope some of this helps

That's a pretty loaded question ~ So I am only going to go with two of them (And I am not touching the formal night question with a ten foot pole!! ;) )

Yes, bring your own snorkel stuff if you have it! And do NOT do laundry, you're on vacation!! :D

I agree with others...do NOT do la undry on vacation. If you must, pack an extra empty bag to take home the dirty laundry in!

One thing that we found helpful was the hanging shoe bags. In the cabin, we could store almost everything - each in its own little section.

Also.....if you wake up in the night, it's nice to know what time it is, so it's a good idea to bring an alarm clock.

Just my two cents.

Answer: Should I do laundry?

Be warned- if you do laundry the boat uses gray water- which is somehow recycled. I did do laundry this time (had to for the kids stuff) and the light colored clothes all came out with brownish spots or were completely discolored.

I did a load of darks and they were fine.

• Administrators

Things cruise newbies need to know/do before their first cruise:

1. The cruise line can change your ports of call at any time.

2. A cruise is not "all inclusive".

3. Buy cruise/travel insurance.

4. Pack your clothes then take half of the clothes out of the suitcase .

5. Make SURE they read Cruise Critic and visit our message boards.

Here are two of my favorites:

Take lots of pictures - as many as possible. Those tend to be the best souvenirs you will have.

Write a review of your cruise. That too ends up being a great way to relive your vacation and it may help you to plan the next time. I read a review that DH had wrote from our Imagination cruise years ago and wish now that I had one for each of our 11 cruises we've been on.

Diane

Well lets see here...

1. Sunrise and Sunsets are great!!!!

2. Setting out on deck at night when everyone else is inside and just looking at the stars it is so peaceful!!!!

3. Blaconies are so worth it!!!!

4. The shopping is fun!!!!!

5. YOUR ON VACATION!!! RELAX AND HAVE FUN!!!! You can worry about the real world when you get home!!!!

Chanda :)

Go with a GREAT attitude and an open mind!!

A couple of websites that have been suggested in the past for "What to Pack":

http://www.geocities.com/cruisethepride/pack2.htm

http://cruiseclues.com/packinglist.htm

And don't forget the obvious stuff - cruise documents, passport/id, confirmations for excursions that you may book ahead of time, and sunglasses! (Sometimes if you leave for the airport in the dark of the morning...you may not think of grabbing them!)

1) I always take a highlighter. It's much easier to keep track of what activities I want to take part in and when to be there.

2) As someone else said I also like to take the over-the-door shoe rack. Always have stuff to put in it and definitely keeps clutter to a minimum.

3) You may want to bring a lanyard to keep your S&S card on.

4) A large coffee mug or cup for soda. They give you such small glasses of beverages you may want to bring your own to fill.

5) Waterproof camera(s)

6) Power strip. If you use multiple electrical devices (curling iron, hair dryer, electric razor, camera charger, etc.) you may be glad you have it.

7) Some people like to take decorations to decorate their stateroom door with their names. Makes it easier to locate your stateroom down the long corridor.

Hope these suggestions help!

Archived