Is the sushi free?

travelingmcmahans

Sorry, bit of a dumb question. I've read a few posts about the sushi but didn't see if there is a charge, so I'm thinking there is not.

I think I would eat the equivalent of the cost of the cruise in sushi! :D I love it, and think I could eat all sushi all the time. I'd be in heaven if I could have it every night for free!

How would you rate it? I have 3 sushi rankings ...

Best is this awesome local place I have about once a month. Best sushi in town but very expensive.

Middle is the other sushi places, and sushi from Whole Foods.

Third is Kroger sushi. It's $5 so I can't really complain, when I'm jonesing for a Philadelphia roll it fits the bill.

I'm weighing cruising options for 2007 (10 year anniversary) and am considering another HAL trip or a Celebrity (the 15 day westbound transatlantic.) I have to say, the martini bar and sushi count *huge* in my book!

There is no extra charge for the sushi -- it's included in the cost of the cruise.

Personally, I think it's in the "Kroger" or maybe "Whole Foods" category, but then where I live is pretty much sushi heaven (plus I've eaten sushi in Tokyo, where it was invented).

It sure is nice to eat, though, when you're not in the mood for what's being served in the dining room or if you want a snack before dinner.

Well, then this should be the deal breaker. Go to the Sushi bar and load up a boat with everything you like plus the dippers and take it with you to the Martini Bar!!! Heaven!

And, yes, they've seen that plenty of times!

I have read here on Cruise Critic that someone was looking over the presentation of sushi and must have commented to his wife that it wasn't all that great. The server overheard this and asked him to wait and he would bring him some better selections.

So you might ask if they have other than what is presented.

On Celebrity I believe the sushi is only available from 6 p.m. in the buffet area, not all day. My adult kids were late to the seating dinner one night because they just had to sample the sushi on Millenium.

I agree a nice martini goes well with sushi, but technically you are not supposed to bring food into the regular bars and lounges. It is even stated on the dailys. HOWEVER bringing one of the great martinis to the 'Sushi Bar' is in perfect adhearance to the rules.:D

I do however really like the sake selection at the sushi bar. Nothing like a good sake to go with dead fish.;)

My nephew-in-law was a bar waiter on the Century and they look down on guests bringing food into the martini bar and other lounges.

Just sharing:cool:

Dave:eek:

Well, they certainly don't say anything because I have seen it done on just about every X cruise I've been on. They don't want you to take food out of the dining room. That's what I've seen in the dailies. Besides they want us to be happy pax! So bring it if you want. The bartenders would rather you be happy and give them a $10 or $20 tip than worry about what you are bringing to the Martini Bar!

No there was no charge, they don't start serving it until 6:00, we loved taking some out to the back of the ship and enjoying it while watching the wake. It became a daily ritual for us. We thought it was pretty darn good on our cruise.

"Please Note: Guests are kindly requested to refrain from taking food out of the dining areas. Thank You."

nparmalee : any where on the resort deck is fine. I also love having a snack while listening to the sea:)

tuggers: while people may do it, it is not allowed. I just spoke to Jorge, my nephew-in-law, acording to him the lounges are not set up for cleaning up dishes and trays. they have to call someone to transport them back to the propper areas, since they work on tight schedules this sometimes hampers their duties. As with any cruise lines most of the crew will not say anything to a passenger that is breaking the rules unless someone complains persistantly. Any negative comments by guests directly affect the crew. Thus they would rather not say anything unless they are 'forced' to by a guest.

Sorry that is not allowed. However if you want to continue to do what you do, don't be shocked one day if they ask you to leave.

Rules are rules, and the line makes them for many reasons, some sem logical, others way-out-there...but its not for "ACTIVIST" passengers to change them, its up to the discression of the cruise line.

I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just trying to stop what could be a potential embarrasment to a new cruiser 'should' X adhere to its policy.

BTW I used to live mid town ATL, Art Center Towers.:o

\

First I like your name...I have a basset named 'Flash':D

Second, I was on a low carb diet the last time I was on Century, and they were more than helpful to make me up a plate of sashimi to my choosing!

for those who don't know sashimi is sushi without the rice: in basic terms. Its just the slices of raw fish.

I can't promise this will happen everytime to all passengers, but I did ask, and they did provide:)

On the Galaxy, we asked the "Sushi girl" to provide us with sashimi. She did so willingly and generously everytime we went in (which was about every early evening. We had late seating at the formal dining room). The sashimi was very fresh. At the end of the cruise, we gave her an equally generous tip.

I loved the sushi on the Mercury and when they saw that I came every evening for an appetizer before late seating (that is, when I found they had a sushi bar by accident) they kindly provided sashimi when I requested it!!! Just sorry I didn't find it sooner.;) ;)

On the Galaxy, we asked the "Sushi girl" to provide us with sashimi. She did so willingly and generously everytime we went in (which was about every early evening. We had late seating at the formal dining room). The sashimi was very fresh. At the end of the cruise, we gave her an equally generous tip.

Is sashimi always raw fish? I have eaten sushi numerous times but not sashimi. Since recently being diagnosed as diabetic I have been following a low carb diet, so having no rice would definitely be a good thing. I'm not certain that I would be able to eat raw fish. For me it's a texture thing, I'm not sure if I could swallow it.

Is sashimi always raw fish?

Yes. It's the sushi without the rice. I've you've only been eating the cooked sushi (shrimp, eel, california roll) then you might want to see if you like the raw sushis like magoro, toro, hamachi (all types of tuna) and sake (salmon). Personally, I love the stuff, but it has to be super-high quality and very fresh.

If you like smoked salmon, then you'll probably like sashimi, as the texture is similar.

Yes. It's the sushi without the rice. I've you've only been eating the cooked sushi (shrimp, eel, california roll) then you might want to see if you like the raw sushis like magoro, toro, hamachi (all types of tuna) and sake (salmon). Personally, I love the stuff, but it has to be super-high quality and very fresh.

If you like smoked salmon, then you'll probably like sashimi, as the texture is similar.

I agree that it has be of excellent quality and freshness.

Sashimi encompasses many types of raw fish. While I enjoy most, there are several things I do not, like "sweet shrimp" which is raw shrimp. I would try a few things first then expand out to the more adventurous items. Personally, a raw quail egg and some sea urchin are real treats for me.

Basically california roll, also have had Philadelphia roll, Maryland roll (I am assuming they are just local varieties) Philly roll with cream cheese and salmon, Maryland roll with crab. Haven't tried smoked salmon either....I am guessing that I will just try it on our cruise. Worst case scenario I don't like it I won't be out anything for attempting something new

I would not eat the sushi or sashimi without first dabbing it with some wasabi (the very strong, green horseradish musturd) mixed in with some soy sauce. Even for me, chucking a piece of raw fish into my mouth without the wasabi would be too much.

I would not eat the sushi or sashimi without first dabbing it with some wasabi (the very strong, green horseradish musturd) mixed in with some soy sauce. Even for me, chucking a piece of raw fish into my mouth without the wasabi would be too much.

I looove wasabi...my boyfriend however will not touch the stuff. Wimp LOL I always have wasabi, soy sauce and ginger. YUMMA

Archived