Norwegian Getaway - Rome Disembarkation Timing

pentiumvi

Hello All,

Next May I'll be cruising on the Norwegian Getaway roundtrip from Rome.

I'm trying plan my train connection times after disembarkation and wanted to know if anyone on this forum would have a rough idea on the timing.

I'm hoping to be able to catch a train around 9am. Will plan on doing walk-off/self-assist disembarkation.

The itinerary has the ship docking at 6am. From my understanding I would need to take a shuttle to the entrance of the cruise port and either walk/taxi/bus to the train station.

Would anyone have a rough idea the amount of time it should take to get from the ship to the train station?

Also, since the itinerary has a port that is outside of the Schengen area, I assume I'll need to clear customs at disembarkation? That would probably require extra time?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by pentiumvi

Firstly, don't worry about Customs/Immigration. It is a non factor on these round trips. Unless there is some exceptional circumstances then it won't delay timings and you won't need any extra time to disembark.

As for the time to get to the station, you should have plenty of time, especially if you are willing to walk from the port to the station (it is not a long walk, but may be a pain with luggage).

The potential delay is with the port shuttle, and the bus to the station (if you use it). Unfortunately, there isn't much experience on the NCL board of how long this takes with a ship the size of the Getaway. Usually, smaller ships are involved and the Epic, whilst being a similar size, only has a small proportion disembarking (so with luggage). My guess is that there will be queues, but not by enough to cause you problems.

Get off as soon as you can, and I would say that anything over two hours to get to the station (which is only a couple of miles away) would be quite extreme. I would guess about 1- 1/2 hour.

Edited by KeithJenner

We walked the stretch from the port bus drop off to the train station...very large boulevard and flat. Walk was about 15 to 20 mins and wouldn't hesitate to do it again (in the dry)about 1.5km... Would be quicker than waiting to board the bus.

The port bus was a 5 min drive and boarding wait time about 10 mins. So for us it took about 45 mins..

Edited by rachiem