New Cruiser Question: Freestyle Formal Night?

ExCruiseMe

How does that work?

On our short one night Sun cruise last month I saw guests dressed for a formal night. Is there a certain part of the dining room designated for that or something? All around ME in the dining room were people NOT dressed for a formal night

Sorry if this is a really dumb question

Perhaps they were just a group who had decided to get all 'dressed up' for your one nighter?

There is usually one formal night per cruise - and people dress all styles. Last time on the Sun I did put on a long dress and DH wore a suit - I would say that a good preportion of the passangers had made an effort and got dressed up. Next week on the Star we will not be quite so formal but DH will still wear a jacket and tie and I'll wear a floaty dress.

But as I said - some people don't bother at all!

Dressing formally on the OPTIONAL formal night is...well...OPTIONAL. Those who choose not to dress formally should not be viewed as not "making an effort." They are simply choosing to dress in resort casual attire, which is appropriate every night on NCL ships, including the OPTIONAL formal night.

From recent postings there seems to be only one NCL ship that designates a specific dining room as being "formal" on the OPTIONAL formal night. Our experience on three NCL cruises--one trans-Atlantic, one to Alaska, and one to Bermuda--is that only a small percentage (less than 20%) chose to wear the OPTIONAL formal attire. If formal wear (or suits) had been required in any dining room on those cruises, there would have been a lot of empty tables in that dining room.

Our experience was of a mixed bag type of attire on formal night.

Some were dressed to the nines. Women in beautifully beaded long evening gowns, accompanied by equally well dressed men in tux, or dressy black suit, tie - the whole bit.

Others, (us included) dressed up - but not formally. Women in nice dresses and men in sports jackets with ties, and slacks.

Some didn't bother much at all, but surely did not arrive in jeans.

There were specific "Formal Night" restaurants. I personally, did not see anyone turned away, but as stated, I did not see any "Beach" attire in the dining room either.

It seemed to be a very good mix of attire, with all enjoying the evening fully. Had we at all felt out of place, we would have simply gone to one of the other dining venues aboard - as there are many.

Some didn't bother much at all, but surely did not arrive in jeans.

I'll try this one more time. It isn't a matter of "bother," it's a matter of choice. Dressing formally is OPTIONAL on NCL. Resort casual is always appropriate for dinner.

I'll try this one more time. It isn't a matter of "bother," it's a matter of choice. Dressing formally is OPTIONAL on NCL. Resort casual is always appropriate for dinner.

Do you prefer "Opt"??? It is just a word - if it "bothers" you, so sorry!!!!!!!

Do you prefer "Opt"??? It is just a word - if it "bothers" you, so sorry!!!!!!!

The use of the word "bothers" carries a connotation that those who choose to "opt" for the informal attire are too lazy to dress up, when in fact they are making a choice that is just as valid as dressing up. The word "bothers" is fine if you're advocating a position, but is not in the spirit of the question of the original poster, who, I assume, was looking for a non-judgmental answer.

The use of the word "bothers" carries a connotation that those who choose to "opt" for the informal attire are too lazy to dress up, when in fact they are making a choice that is just as valid as dressing up. The word "bothers" is fine if you're advocating a position, but is not in the spirit of the question of the original poster, who, I assume, was looking for a non-judgmental answer.

Your assumption could possibly be wrong - OP did not state such.

Thanks for the lesson of the day.

I suppose being from a different region, we may use words somewhat differently. When we lived in Baltimore, words were used differently than they are here in Montana; here in Montana, differently than California, Washington, Arkansas, Idaho etc., etc., etc. We have moved a lot, and never did I find it necessary to correct a spoken word - or it's intended usage. Manners dictated that we not do that.

My response was not at all judgemental - I did my very best to describe what I had observed on the cruise, and stated that all seemed to enjoy the evening - What more should we expect.

Your assumption could possibly be wrong - OP did not state such.

The OP was clearly expressing puzzlement that he/she was surrounded by others not dressed formally on what he/she thought was "formal" night. The important clarification he/she needed was that "formal" attire on NCL is OPTIONAL on these nights, and that those NOT in formal attire were just as appropriately dressed for the occasion as those dressed formally.

The implication that those dressed in resort casual attire were not "making an effort" or did not "bother" (a word used in two posts in this thread) to dress formally is simply wrong. Those in resort casual attire just chose to wear alternative but equally acceptable attire that night to dinner. Had this aspect of NCL's OPTIONAL "formal" night been made clear to the OP prior to his/her first NCL cruise there would have been no cause for puzzlement. Perhaps the OP is accustomed to HAL or Celebrity or one of the other mass-market lines where "formal" night attire is handled differently.

Sorry, if I caused your perfectly reasonable question to turn into a debate of words, and lessons - all of which seem so unnecessary.

My apologies are extended to you. I hope some of the responses do help you, and that the debate has not confused you thoroughly.

Hopefully, you are better able to comprehend what some are saying better than others.

Question-

Is dockers and a polo or button down shirt considered "resort casual"?

What about shorts?

Dockers & polo would indeed be considered "resort casual" shorts would not (at least not in the dining rooms) they would be OK in the buffet.

-Monte

I'm sorry, but if you're going to pay thousands to go on a cruise, why have a fit about dressing nicely? What's the big deal? If you want to wear jeans, stay home and go to the sizzler.

Now now, calm down or you'll have a stroke. JMO-please don't tell others that they should stay home & eat at sizzler, it makes you sound like a snob.

-Monte

I'm sorry, but if you're going to pay thousands to go on a cruise, why have a fit about dressing nicely? What's the big deal? If you want to wear jeans, stay home and go to the sizzler.

It isn't clear to me what this unpleasant post has to do with the thread. No one is "having a fit about dressing nicely." No one is saying it's a "big deal." No one has mentioned "jeans" anywhere--except you. Or "sizzler"--except you.

What's important to understand is that on NCL's OPTIONAL formal night it is perfectly appropriate to wear a tuxedo, a suit, a jacket and tie, a jacket without tie, slacks and a sweater or vest, or slacks and a shirt. And that someone choosing any of these options on an NCL cruise other than a tuxedo or a suit--the suggested attire on most other mass-market cruise lines' "formal" nights--is not guilty of "not making an effort" or not "bothering," but is simply making one of many equally acceptable and appropriate choices.

I dress in business attire every single day for work, and I attend many formal events each year for which I am always "dressed up." This is NOT something that I care to do when I'm on vacation. Maybe it's a novelty for some, but not for me. That's the big deal......

I dress in business attire every single day for work, and I attend many formal events each year for which I am always "dressed up." This is NOT something that I care to do when I'm on vacation. Maybe it's a novelty for some, but not for me. That's the big deal......

That was exactly my situation when I was working, too. And I suspect a lot of other cruisers are in the same "boat."

Anyone who is not happy unless surrounded by tuxes, gowns, suits, etc., on formal night should simply cruise another line. There are plenty to choose from.

This is exactly why NCL has become our favorite cruise line. My husband wear a suit and tie everyday to work and I wear a dress clothes. Hubby still takes a shirt and tie for optional formal night and I usually wear a sundress- but no suit, sportcoat, evening gown- I love it! We dress nicely, but not formally. There is a difference.

Once, when I was at my first "real" job after high school, I got verbally assaulted by a co-worker. All I could muster up at the time (thankfully) was to tell the abuser that they were 'ignorant'. Their response? "No I'm not - - - what does that mean?" :rolleyes:

ignorant

adj 1: lacking general education or knowledge; "an ignorant man"; "an unlearned group incapable of understanding complex issues"; "exhibiting contempt for his unlettered companions"

Ignorance is not a good thing. The worst part about being ignorant is that you usually don't know you are. LOL :D

To book a cruise that offers freestyle and then look down your nose at others who do not dress up is, well, ignorant. But that's okay - cuz I guess you don't know you are...

Apologies to the OP for the arguements on here, but when it comes to the Freestyle Dining question we just get fired up.

We have beat this story around over the last two months. Let me see if I can sumerize what has been discoverd and what is known:

1.) With Freestyle Dining, you can dress as you please as long as it is resort casual. Even on Formal night. Resort casual means simply no shorts, jeans, cut offs, sweats, t-shirts in the dining rooms. Source: NCL's actual brochures.

2.) Based on the many reports over the past couple of months on here, only one NCL ship, the Sun, is still designating one main dining room as formal only. The others are allowing formal and resort casual to mix.

3.) Based on personal experience, I would estimate only 40-50% of the people dress up on formal night and that runs the entire gauntlet from tuxes to shirt and tie. The rest are in resort casual or Hawaiian attire (Hawaii cruises only on that one...lol)

4.) There has been some reports that on some NCL ships, the Dawn being the main one, that jeans have been removed from the no-no list and in fact the word "jeans" has been scratched out from the dress code signs at the entrance to the restaurants. Jeans may now be allowed, but I wouldn't take a chance.

5.) You can always dine in the buffet if you don't want to dress in resort casual. (or in the Blue Lagoon on the Star and Dawn)

6.) The question of the ships enforcing the dress code has also been heavily debated on here. Some of us have recounted experiences during the past year where people were seated in the restaurants in obvious violation of the dress code. (my personal story of the family on the Star who came in wearing jeans, sweat suit and warm up suit this past summer).

7.) Basically, Freestyle means that you can dress the way you want to, eat when you want to and eat with who you want to.

Hope we have cleared up many of your questions. Please don't be scared away by the bickering on here and please feel free to ask your questions.

For my own personal opinion, NCL is the only cruise line I will sail on because I don't want to have to dress up. I'm on vacation, let me be comfortable!! As far as staying on land and eating at the sizzler, two problems that I have with that are 1.) I'm entitled to take a vacation and wear what I like to wear and 2.) the sizzler's all went out of business in my area........:D

Please don't be scared away by the bickering on here and please feel free to ask your questions.

This poster has questions on five different threads, and has never returned to reply to any of them. So, no apologies needed either by you, or me apparently. We are talking to ourselves, or being ignored completely.

And, before anyone gets upset, I realize this is perfectly legit, but I do find it a little strange that a person would ask and not respond.

Thank you for clearing that up Sailaways. I also hope that I did not offend anybody by the comment about the bickering, but I did want to point out to the OP and lurkers that we do get into some heated discussions on here. Some are good discussions about NCL issues, others get a little heated, but freedom to express oneselves is most important!

I'm afraid that we may scare off some lurkers and those with questions for fear that we will attack them! I have never seen anyone on here attacked for asking a question but sometimes the questions lead to these heated discussions!:)

Archived