Cruise to France

MrMezentsev

On 12/29/2019 at 4:07 PM, marco said:

A couple of years ago we did a river cruise, basically Paris to Nice and spent 4 days in Paris first.  Most enjoyable! Something to check out.

Thank you I'll defiantly look into it , and check it out !

On 12/29/2019 at 8:05 PM, wowzz said:

Why not rent your own boat, and cruise along the Canal du Midi ? You will learn some interesting French phrases from the lock keepers on the way if your boat handling skills are not up to scratch!  An excellent way to see rural France (and I only fell in once!)

I wish but I've never operated a boat so that one would difficult to do , but thank you !

20 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Or Italy, Germany, and so on. 

For this reason, Med cruises hold no appeal.  One day is not enough, at ANY of the stops.

Even the Greek isles.  We spent a week on Mykonos alone.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 10:30 AM, MrMezentsev said:

Hank thank you very much for your comment , gives me a lot to think about , I still feel like I'd prefer to travel by land most of all but living in USA doesn't leave me choice but to fly or travel by boat . I appreciate your time .

Yes, you have to fly to France (or other European country), but then you RENT A CAR. 🙂

Or use trains and buses, or even flights to get from city to city.

And most European cities are either small enough to walk around or have great public transportation or a combination of both.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Hlitner said:

So true.  We were amused by a couple of told us they did not want to go back to Italy because they had already been to Italy.  But when we asked where they had been, it was on a single trip that got them to the usual Civitavecchia, Livorno and Naples.  Trying to tell them that there was more to Italy then those 3 ports would have been wasting our time :).  And another cruiser once told us they saw no reason to return to Paris (DW's favorite city in the world) because they had seen Paris on a one-day port excursion from Le Havre.  Go figure.

Hank

People, in general, are morons. 🙂

I do not even particularly like Paris, and still find things to do when I pass through. 🙂

We did a week in Sicily alone, and need to go back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrMezentsev said:

I'd like to thank all of you , you guys helping me out so much ! im glad I found this website before I started doing and booking anything! I appreciate all of you. 🙂

I find that the reason I like cruising, is that it is relaxing.  A Med cruise, with a port every day.  Getting up early for a quick breakfast, then all day touring, to get back in time for late dinner, then to bed to repeat, it NOT a holiday.

With a Carib cruise, there are sea days.  And even on the first cruise, you can miss a port and not feel you screwed up your cruise.  And even on part days, things are more relaxed and most excursions are not long days.

Then, in Europe, doing a land vacation, you have similar flexibility.  You can day a day off and relax, instead of constant running.

They way I travel is, I plan the itinerary, to be able to book a hotel for each evening.  That is my level of comfort, knowing I have a room waiting.  Then, look at things to do and places to eat, but if something else comes up, then fine.  Nothing is set in stone. 

I do know people (my parents used to), that fly to Europe, rent a car, and start driving.  When it is late afternoon, they stop to see if they can find a room.  If X place is full, normally they can direct you to Y that has rooms.  They never got stuck out. 

I also know people who plan every minute of every day.  But to me, that means if you see something very interesting, you do not have time to fit it in.  In Berlin a couple of years ago, walking to see Checkpoint Charlie, we saw the International Spy Museum.  So we did that.  And coming back a different route, we found a great museum on the rise of the Nazi party in Germany.  Very interesting that they do NOT hide it, but put it out as a lesson to future generations.  Again, flexible to staop and spend a couple of hours.

• Like 1