Newcastle port

21 minutes ago, Mopsymillar said:

Hi, we have just booked the midnight sun cruise to Norway leaving 6th June 2020.

Where is the cruise port , is it Newcastle or South Shields?
Trying to decide whether to drive or go by train.

Thanks for your help.

North Shields , port of tyne. If you go by train there is a free shuttle bus from Newcastle central station to the port. They have reps at the station just inside the main entrance to guide you for the bus ,all very easy and works well. This year first bus was 11.00 am then every thirty mins.

We have sailed from Newcastle twice, we drove each times, more direct in our opinion, ok you have to pay for parking but you are straight there, one lot of luggage handling and when you take cost of cruise parking not too bad. We drove from Greater Manchester and it took just a couple of hours, not only that but you can make sure you are early booking in at cruise terminal.

Enjoy !

Calm down mate, I never said it was on any other day. I said "I take it the free shuttle is on the Saturday" with no question mark. 

I was just commenting because I am going on this cruise and wanted to say something, no need to jump down my throat.

Edited by dwhe

1 hour ago, dwhe said:

Yes, should be a short walk from their according to Google, I'm getting the train from New Street, there should be a long line of us after breakfast walking down. 😁

We are driving up on Friday and have booked parking at the port so will probably wave as we drive past😊 hopefully it won't be raining 🤞

3 hours ago, dwhe said:

Yes, should be a short walk from their according to Google, I'm getting the train from New Street, there should be a long line of us after breakfast walking down. 😁

Nearly 1/2 mile , you need to make sure when you walk down to take the correct lane to get to the bag drop area rather than straight to the terminal building , they are seperated and a bus takes you round to the terminal building for check in when you have dropped and tagged your bags

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, okavango said:

Nearly 1/2 mile , you need to make sure when you walk down to take the correct lane to get to the bag drop area rather than straight to the terminal building , they are seperated and a bus takes you round to the terminal building for check in when you have dropped and tagged your bags

Is it well signed, okavango, be it on foot or driving, thanks👍

2 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Is it well signed, okavango, be it on foot or driving, thanks👍

If driving you turn in at the first roundabout for parking or carry on to the second roundabout if you are walking/getting dropped off ,there should be someone at the first roundabout/car park entrance that will keep people right . This is all presuming things will be the same next year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, okavango said:

7 hours ago, okavango said:

If driving you turn in at the first roundabout for parking or carry on to the second roundabout if you are walking/getting dropped off ,there should be someone at the first roundabout/car park entrance that will keep people right . This is all presuming things will be the same next year.

Thanks for the advice, we wouldn't of had a clue and just walked 👍

16 hours ago, okavango said:

Thanks for that, hope you don't mind me asking one more question? What time in your opinion is the earliest I could drop off luggage and park. I fully understand that checkin starts at 11am and passengers have to disembark by 9am. Thanks again promise I won't ask anything else. 😉

11 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Thanks for that, hope you don't mind me asking one more question? What time in your opinion is the earliest I could drop off luggage and park. I fully understand that checkin starts at 11am and passengers have to disembark by 9am. Thanks again promise I won't ask anything else. 😉

I would get there for 11.00am ,this year the embarkation window was officially something like 12.30 to 3.30 ,far too narrow for the number of passengers ,if people did not start arriving " early" they would be up the creek ,dont think they ever managed to sail on time this year , it was fine years ago when spirit/celebration did the newcastle run and there were only about 1200 pax but now with the bigger ships it can be a bit chaotic at times.

Did newcastle three times this year so any questions no probs.

I’ve got another couple of questions.

Is the cruise port north or south of the river and is it the same building as the Amsterdam ferry uses?
We will be travelling from Ayrshire and are unsure whether to go by train the day before or drive that morning. Any advice would be appreciated.

I’d also like to say that we cruised on Explorer 2 this year and loved it - best shower ever😂.

3 hours ago, Mopsymillar said:

I’ve got another couple of questions.

Is the cruise port north or south of the river and is it the same building as the Amsterdam ferry uses?
We will be travelling from Ayrshire and are unsure whether to go by train the day before or drive that morning. Any advice would be appreciated.

I’d also like to say that we cruised on Explorer 2 this year and loved it - best shower ever😂.

Yes its the same place as the Holland /Scandanavia ferries

32 minutes ago, dronnygirl said:

Yes, had to smile the morning of our cruise when we saw lots of crew in the £ shop stocking up on toiletries and buying children's clothes in Next

Nice info thanks, not for the pound shop but looks like an area to spend some time which we did not know about. 👍