Oceanview Cabin Question

Hi! My DH and I are taking our son on Freedom for his 16th birthday. We are booked in 2378, oceanview. I have never had a cabin at the back of the boat, or that low of a deck, since we have only cruised once before. Can anyone tell me pros/cons on this cabin? We won't be changing rooms, but I was just curious as to the location, other than being far away from the elevators. I realize no one has actually stayed in this particular room yet, but maybe someone from another Voyager class could comment. Thanks!!! :cool:

Being on a lower deck has pros and cons. On the pro side, there is less motion the lower the deck is on the ship. However, the motion gets more exaggerated as you get closer to either end of the ship. Since no one has sailed yet on Freedom there is no way to tell if there will be a lot of noise or vibration that close to the engines. Another plus is that when you go ashore the gangway will likely be on deck 1 or 2 so when you come back to the ship you can go right to your cabin without waiting in a mob of people to get in an elevator to get to a cabin on a higher deck. On the negative side, unless you are in great shape, you will be spending a lot of time waiting for elevators to go to eat, to shop, to go to the theatre, the pool, etc.

We were on Explorer last week and had an ocean-view stateroom 2648. The view was marvelous being so low that you could see everything on the water as well as views in the distance; especially when coming into port!! It was very convenient being at the back of the ship since we were close to elevators, not far from the disembark/embarkation points and had a straight shot up to the dining room, windjammer, pool decks, promenade and crown lounges.

You felt a lot less motion from the ship as when we had 6 foot swells between St. Thomas and Nassau. As for noise, we could hear when either the stabilizers or side thrusters were in play but it was soothing - a white noise to sleep to such as we have with the fans in our rooms at home.

Archived