Butler tip ??

spagirl83

I thought the Butler splits the tip with the cabin steward??

Hmmmmmmm,,,, sorry guys..

Seriously,,

It's up to you to "grease" his palm on the first day. I dont care what you read on here,, they all work for one reason and thats for tips so they will gladly accept an advance tip on day one. But,, dont take it out of his normal allotment on the last night,, it should be above and beyond.

And,, it depends on your suite. I would tip more in a PS then a RS,, more in a RS then a CS, and so on.

So, depending on your room category use your judgement. In a SS (never had one) I d give $50 on day one and double it for each higher category, $100 CS,, $150 RS,, $200 PS.. thats just what I do and it gets me an outstanding cruise!!! In a suite that costs $15,000 to $25,000 for 14 nights,, what's $250 on day one,, NOTHING,, good insurance to be treated really special.

The expensive day is the last night when the money is given out to everyone that made a difference,,, thats a net worth robbing day to me. But my wife and I have an outstanding time always,, nothing can compare to our cruises on Celebrity!!!

Broke in Fl

Don

There really is no need to tip in advance if you have a suite. The people who will be serving you at this level are the best professionals that X has. It makes no difference to them if you tip before or after the cruise...they will still give you dedicated service. This business about giving money beforehand can work sometimes but never all the time. A professional butler or steward will always give his/her best effort anyway. The only variation to this is if the cruise if going to be 14 days or longer...then you should give 1/2 of your tip at the end of the 1st week. If at the end of the cruise you feel that the service has been stellar then give more money. IMO...most pax who tip in advance simply do not know how to tip and they tip too much for services that have not even happened. There are some great butlers and stewards and sterwardesses on Celebrity but there are also some not so great. A tip should come as payment for services rendered...not hoped for. You should have confidence that your steward and butler will be the best and that they will expect to be rewarded for their good services at the end of the cruise.

ROSS

On the first day of a cruise last year we gave the Steward a list of items we like done during the cruise and offered a tip at that time. He politely refused the tip letting us know he'd appreciate any gratuity we felt was appropriate at the end of the cruise.

On our five Celebrity cruises, we have always been in a RS with a butler. We have never offered a tip upon first meeting our butler and cabin steward. The tips are given by us on the afternoon and evening of the last night, and given personally.

All of our butlers have been very very good and are very professional. However, several have been better than the others. Our tips to the butlers have varied, but all have been more than Celebrity recommends. On our last cruise on Mercury, our tip to Stanley our butler was almost three times the amount recommended, and almost two times the amount recommended to our cabin steward. They were a remarkable and wonderful team, and together provided us with a wonderful cruise experience.

My DW still misses Stanley and his wonderful smile.

Only suites have butlers. All cabins, including suites have stewards and assistant stewards. Therefore, people in suites tip minimum of $3.50 per day per person to the steward (which he splits with his assistant. He told me it was 50/50), and $3.50 per day per person to the butler.

The steward and his assistant, under the direction of the Asst. Head Housekeeper, clean your room, supply the ice and water, take your laundry/dry cleaning order, sometimes deliver your room service & supply you w/the lunch or dinner menu should you want to eat in your room, keep your mini bar stocked (in other words they'll bring you six beers from the nearest bar), deliver your Celebrity daily, invitations, pre-ordered liquor and gift packages, shore excursion tickets, and in general can supply you with information if you don't know where to get it. If they don't know, they'll direct you to someone.

People who have suites sometimes rely upon their butler to do some of those things.

In Concierge class your steward is like a butler in training. He has to bring you your canapes in the afternoon, plus his regular steward duties so his tip, which is shared with his assistant, is slightly higher, $4 a day instead of the $3.50 to a regular steward.

Just like at home. The cabin steward performs the cleaning and maintenance to take care of the physical area, the Butler takes care of you and your personal items (getting clothing pressed, shoes shined, cappuccino delivered, bringing tea, etc).

Always tip at the end of the cruise.

I have always received the same outstanding service that Don has received, tipping upfront does not ensure any better service than tipping at the end of the cruise.

Sorry to disagree, Don:D

Phil

Hey Phil

I agree both ways are fine. I enjoy doing it up front.. But, I dont think there is a right and wrong to this. No laws broken?? Nothing ethically challenging..

see ya!!

Don

Hey Phil

I agree both ways are fine. I enjoy doing it up front.. But, I dont think there is a right and wrong to this. No laws broken?? Nothing ethically challenging..

see ya!!

Don

Don, you are right, I guess both ways work, so its what ever floats your bubble:D

Phil

My DW and I are headed out tomorrow for another sailing on the Mercury. We actually have the same RS as we did last year. Some years ago, when we first experienced butler service, I used to give a tip up front. Now, I tip a portion after we have thrown a party, that the butler has been instrumental in making sure that everyone has an enjoyable time. Otherwise, I will tip the butler a portion after 7 days, and the balance at the end. I tip more than the recommended amount, if the service warrents it.

Rick

And,, it depends on your suite. I would tip more in a PS then a RS,, more in a RS then a CS, and so on.

So, depending on your room category use your judgement.

Broke in Fl

Don

Don,

I disagree with that statement. I would tip more in a higher cat. suite only if you required more service than a lower cat. suite. Why would you tip more just because your in a higher cost suite, if the bulter does the samething as a lower priced one? I mean if two people are in a RS and there are two people in a PS, and they both have the butler do his normal duties, why should the PS pay more tip just because the payed more for their room? If anything the room steward should get more because they have a larger space to keep clean, the butler doesn't clean your room. If someone in a RS has two parties and the couple in the PS doesn't have any parties, the RS should tip more because they required more services. I guess what I'm trying to say is that across the board the tip should be the same for the same service in all classes of the suites. If you require more, than you tip more. I was in a RS for seven days and had the butler do only his "normal" duties, and I tipped him about $300 for the cruise, if I had been in the PS and he did the samething there, I would have tipped the same amount. Suite cat. should have nothing to do with how much your minimum or maximum tip should be, only your level of or required servicies should demand a higher or lower tip amount.

Mark

Don,

I disagree with that statement. I would tip more in a higher cat. suite only if you required more service than a lower cat. suite. Why would you tip more just because your in a higher cost suite, if the bulter does the samething as a lower priced one? I mean if two people are in a RS and there are two people in a PS, and they both have the butler do his normal duties, why should the PS pay more tip just because the payed more for their room? If anything the room steward should get more because they have a larger space to keep clean, the butler doesn't clean your room. If someone in a RS has two parties and the couple in the PS doesn't have any parties, the RS should tip more because they required more services. I guess what I'm trying to say is that across the board the tip should be the same for the same service in all classes of the suites. If you require more, than you tip more. I was in a RS for seven days and had the butler do only his "normal" duties, and I tipped him about $300 for the cruise, if I had been in the PS and he did the samething there, I would have tipped the same amount. Suite cat. should have nothing to do with how much your minimum or maximum tip should be, only your level of or required servicies should demand a higher or lower tip amount.

Mark

Mark,

One point to consider: Some things can be done in larger suites that are not possible in smaller suites. Case in point: After breakfast in our suite on the Mercury (PS), while our butler was clearing the table, he inquired as to whether everything was to our satisfaction. While we responded positively, he then beamed, stating, "I delivered it this moring at the time you requested, but since you were not awake yet, I returned several times to make sure it was still warm when you woke up. I replaced it 3 times to ensure the warm dished were just that!" We were duely impressed by his attention to detail. (Since we had a separate bedroom, we were absolutely unaware any of this had occured.) This kind of service would not have been possible is a suite without a separate bedroom. Needless to say, his level of professionalism and attention to detail throughout the following week, earned him several times his recommended gratuity!

Hey Guys

I have been in a CS, RS and PS and I feel that the higher the category the better the service so the greater the tip. I dont know this for sure but I have a feeling the higher the suite category the more experienced Butler you have.

On my last Millie TA I was in a CS and my butler who was good had 2 CS and a bunch of Sky Suites, no RS. He told me he was new and hasnt had a RS yet... He made a few errors,, one was made when I had breakfast with the Hotel Director in my Suite. The poor BUtler came in and saw the HD at the table and was sweating,, anyway,,, he got the food ready and when he left the room,, the HD was furious,,,, and said to me,,, Don,, do see a horrible error here,, I looked,, said, ,OH, I ordered 2 skim milks and received one,,, HE said NO.. He called the Chief Housekeeper and complained... The Butler put the cereal box in my cereal bowl... I d never have figured that out,, lol,, anyway I learned thats a no no,,, the box could have been touched by a million people and shouldnt be placed in a clean cereal bowl... Anyway, my point, the newbees start in the lower suites and are kind of learning,, therefore,, dont get everything 100% and they dont get quite the reward the Head Butler would get for his impeccable service,,, ie, Mark on the Millie. Or Challs on the Galaxy etc..

They are not going to put someone new servicing the PS.

Another point while I am here,,,,,

I give the room steward 5 times the normal tip in the PS... WHy, the room is more than 5 cabins,, with couches, tables, chairs,, lots of dusting and he is there for an hr everyday, 5 times the time he would spend in a reg cabin... and he vacuums this 1450 sq suite plus cleans and wipes down the 1,000,000 chairs on the balcony which is sight to behold,, he cleans the bar out there and the hot tub outside,, plus 2 full baths and another jacuzzi inside that we use a few times a day.. To give this person $3.50 pp per day in my mind is a tragedy,,, So they get $35 per day for the work they do, Now,, in the RS its scaled down. I guess since its my hard earned money I can set my own parameters and formulas to get my tipping perfected. I am not preaching my ways to anyone but I hope those in the larger suites dont tip the stewards at the "inside rates". I guess, if we are lucky enuff to be able to afford a RS or PS,, we can afford to tip well.

Good info in your posts!!!

Don

Don,

I agree, the room stward in the larger suites do have more work, therefore do deserve a larger tip...and always receive it from us.

I have to admit the worst case scenario for any cruise employee was on a recent (and I have to admit-ONLY) Costa cruise on a TA on the Magica! The total suggested tip for eveyone, was something like 6,50 euros per person per day. We even checked with the customer service desk several times to make sure, as this was for 4 or 5 people. Totalled about 102,00 euros per person for a 17 night cruise!! And the butler, who was excellent, was not even included in the tipping recommendations-his tip was totally at the guest's descretion. We tipped him on several occassions, and at one point he replied, "oh, you've tipped me too much already!" Have never heard that one before!!

Don,

I agree, the room stward in the larger suites do have more work, therefore do deserve a larger tip...and always receive it from us.

I have to admit the worst case scenario for any cruise employee was on a recent (and I have to admit-ONLY) Costa cruise on a TA on the Magica! The total suggested tip for eveyone, was something like 6,50 euros per person per day. We even checked with the customer service desk several times to make sure, as this was for 4 or 5 people. Totalled about 102,00 euros per person for a 17 night cruise!! And the butler, who was excellent, was not even included in the tipping recommendations-his tip was totally at the guest's descretion. We tipped him on several occassions, and at one point he replied, "oh, you've tipped me too much already!" Have never heard that one before!!

Thats amazing, He needs to jump ship (pun intended) and come over to X where he will get some remuneration for his services!! I think knowing you are getting a gratutiy at the end just gives the service provider some inspiration to do a better job..

Don

Mark,

One point to consider: Some things can be done in larger suites that are not possible in smaller suites. Case in point: After breakfast in our suite on the Mercury (PS), while our butler was clearing the table, he inquired as to whether everything was to our satisfaction. While we responded positively, he then beamed, stating, "I delivered it this moring at the time you requested, but since you were not awake yet, I returned several times to make sure it was still warm when you woke up. I replaced it 3 times to ensure the warm dished were just that!" We were duely impressed by his attention to detail. (Since we had a separate bedroom, we were absolutely unaware any of this had occured.) This kind of service would not have been possible is a suite without a separate bedroom. Needless to say, his level of professionalism and attention to detail throughout the following week, earned him several times his recommended gratuity!

TNTKP & Idssms,

I guess in my happy little mind, I would hope ALL Suite cabins would receive the same level of service. On the Celebrity web page it doesn't say that the lower cost Suite's receive a junior butler. The list of amenities are the same for all Suite level's. In your case in-point, the butler went above and beyond the call of duty, no doubt. But I would like to think he would do the same for a Sky Suite too, probably not. Don't get me wrong, I think they deserve every $$ they receive. And I'm not a shy tipper either, as posted above, I gave a $300 butler tip for a 7-day trip in a RS, I also slipped him a $50 bill at the start of the cruise too(forgot about that). Which worked out to about 6 times the recommended amount. I just think that any extra should be my choice and not expected. And I tipped the room steward $200 for the same 7 days, plus $30 at the start. Which worked out to over 4 times the recommended tip amount. When I go on vacation, I tip everyone very well because I'm just plain happy to be on vacation & know that these folks are working for me while I'm on vacation. So this isn't about money, it's about what everyone should expect from paying for a "Suite". I guess if the higher end Suites are going to get better service, than it should be stated that they will receive X,Y& Z more if they book one instead of a lower cost one. When I travel, I demand alot, in return, I'm more than willing to pay for it. I don't expect something for free. I also agree with both of you in that the room steward should be tipped more for a larger suite,as they have more to keep cleaned.

Both Royal Suite's we were in, were serviced by the legendary "Lawrence" too.

Also, do you think that the butlers working the PS's expect more tip $ just because it's a PS and not a RS? When they same level of service was carried out? Just a question as to what we may think they are thinking?

Mark

TNTPK,

On A side note, when were you in the PS on the Mercury? I'm sailing on her on the 24th of Feb. in a PS. If it was recently when was it and which PS # was it? And, How did the cabin look? I'm a bit scared after reading all the posts about the Suite conditions on her. You see I'm not one to settle for worn out beddings and stained bathroom sinks and carpets. I feel I'm paying a premium for a premium cabin, and expect to receive just that. It's not like the cost for the PS, has lowered in price since she first sailed. Thanks, Mark

In order to get the best service would it be proper to tip the cabin steward(ess) and the butler when you first meet them? If so, how much? I want to be proper, not tacky.

Not to contradict what all the Experts here have said. Tipping to me is for service rendered. How can you tip for something that hasnt happened? thats not tipping thats bribery. We normally have a conversation with what our expectations are..and if Butler and or steward agrees then we tip on perfomance (up and beyond the normal Gratuity suggested) if not then well they havent done much to exceed the recommended tip. thats just our opinion.

Not to contradict what all the Experts here have said. Tipping to me is for service rendered. How can you tip for something that hasnt happened? thats not tipping thats bribery. We normally have a conversation with what our expectations are..and if Butler and or steward agrees then we tip on perfomance (up and beyond the normal Gratuity suggested) if not then well they havent done much to exceed the recommended tip. thats just our opinion.

I have to agree with Joey. We pay our room staff according to performance. We also take very good care of our butler for extras, such as helping out at parties. These folks are just like us, we work hard to be able to afford a nice cabin, and they work hard to take care of us. What goes around comes around! We also treat them like family! Which reminds me, we have an RS on the Mercury that we are boarding today!!!

Rick

Mark,

It was PS #1047 on the Mercury. That was October, 2003. The room did show some signs of wear, on the backs of chairs in the LR for example. There were no stains, or anything of that nature. The room itself is beautiful, the master bath was large with marble everywhere, a huge jetted tub and separate shower, and a large walk in closet. The deck does have a smaller jetted tub, which really was used only once by us. The deck itself is really not that large.

I guess all the rooms on some of these older, (and from what I've read on other posts - even some newer), ships could use some sprucing up. The positives for a suite on these ships are the larger rooms, more amenities, and great service.

Tim

p.s. Hope this helps. But if you are looking for perfection, I'm afraid that may be a little unrealistic, and you may be disappointed.

Archived