Just back, Zenith

larryo

My wife and I just got back from our 6th cruise, 2nd on Celebrity. The cruise was fantastic, the food was excellant, the staff was helpful without being pushy, the shows were very good and the ship was in great shape. I will answer any questions.

We are booked for April. With the other reviews on this board, we have become quite concerned and are considering cancelling - poor conditions/carpet/bathrooms/shoddy furnishings/etc. Doesn't sound like it would be to our liking.

Please advise on all conditions of the ship from cabin, bathroom, dining room, pool chairs, etc.

Food and service reviews seem to be fine.

Thanks!

HI - My DH and I just finished sailing on Zenith on January 23-27. This was our 4th cruise with Celebrity. Although Zenith was a smaller ship AND older the cruise was terrific. Our cabin, a suite on deck 10 was in good condition. Lots of caulking between the mirror and counter in the bathroom and a few stains on the rug - neither of which did anything to ruin our cruise. We had a wonderful time by the pool, our deck chairs were fine. We attended all the shows, which were GREAT!, as well as the art auctions and of course BINGO. The guitarist in the different bars was terrific and we found ourselves seeking him out every night just to sit, listen and sing along. We found the Zenith to be a great ship with a great crew that did nothing but try to please. They were happy and went our of their to smile and tend to everyone's needs. If you are looking for a glamarous ship, everything sparkling new and just a "face" to the crew then Zenith is NOT your ship. However, if you are looking for a wonderful cruise, great service, excellent food and a relaxing and intimate atmosphere then you can't go wrong with Zenith.

I think the problem some have is comparing an older ship to a newer ship. The over all condition is very good. The crew were constantly painting, varnishing and replacing carpet. We had a ocean view guarantee and ended up on Deck 4. The room has not gone through the updating yet but the room was clean. There was some small rust visible in the shower and, yes, the mattress was harder than I would normally prefer but not that unlike other ships I have been on.

The dining room was confortable. We requested a table for 8. Two of the members sat on a padded bench along the wall. Without a pillow behind them they did not have any back support. If none wer there when we arrived we simply asked our waiter. We normally spent about 2 hours without comfort being an issue.

I was not crazy about the chairs in the Rendz-vous lounge. Very low with split back.

The pool chairs were fine although we only spent about 1 hour on them over the week.

We would not hesitate to book on her again.

Stefhef---please don't let disparaging remarks about Zenith discourage you from sailing on her. Unless, as has been said, you want all glitz and glamour. Zenith is a refined, slightly worn, grand old lady. She has aged with dignity and grace. Her crew love her and her guests and want to do everything they can to please. Those who are not pleased probably have their own reasons and I will not gainsay them. But I will say I believe that if you go with a mind set of having a great cruise that is just what you will have, no matter what ship you are on.

That having been said, I agree abou the chairs in the R Lounge but that has never ruined my sailing on Zenith.

I think the problem some have is comparing an older ship to a newer ship. The over all condition is very good. The crew were constantly painting, varnishing and replacing carpet. We had a ocean view guarantee and ended up on Deck 4. The room has not gone through the updating yet but the room was clean. There was some small rust visible in the shower and, yes, the mattress was harder than I would normally prefer but not that unlike other ships I have been on.

The dining room was confortable. We requested a table for 8. Two of the members sat on a padded bench along the wall. Without a pillow behind them they did not have any back support. If none wer there when we arrived we simply asked our waiter. We normally spent about 2 hours without comfort being an issue.

I was not crazy about the chairs in the Rendz-vous lounge. Very low with split back.

The pool chairs were fine although we only spent about 1 hour on them over the week.

Larry, I think you have hit the nail on the head. As with anything, new and shiny makes a better impression and those who have only cruised the mega ships with their 9 story atruims, pastel colors, zillions of eating places, mega showrooms, etc do not realize for the price you will not get all this. I also believe, no matter what some are saying a short cruise is not the same as the 7 day or longer ones. We have been on 5 cruises less than 7 days, 3 different lines, never have they been the same as other cruises. NMNita

Glad to hear positive things about the Zenith. I am sending my parents on the 10 day Panama cruise in December. Was getting concerned about the negative reviews. My parents sailed once on the Norway and loved the old ship, hopefully the will feel the same about the Zenith.....I got them a Zenith suite, any insights about the suite is appreciated.

Stef as others have said don't let some negative reviews bother you. We sailed on Zenith in June 2005 and loved it so much we went back in September for another 7 days. Zenith is not glitzy she is a little jewel and deserves more recognition in the Celebrity fleet than she gets. The best thing about Zenith is her crew, many of whom have sailed her for a long time. They were wonderful with my 5 year old son and we still keep in touch with our waiters and assistant waiters.

We had an oceanview on deck 4. There were no problems with our toilet, even in rough weather. Our room was not refurbished (this was before her drydock) but they are getting around to replacing carpets and soft goods. The only problem I had was with the hard mattress (I have a bad back) and so on the second cruise I asked my steward for a mattress topper and that helped a lot.

The pool chairs were fine. If there was a worn cushion here and there I just covered it with my towel. I honestly never had a problem finding a chair by the pool. Zenith is great in that you get to see the same passengers around the ship and it's easy to develop friendships. There is a more personal, intimate feel to the ship. The theater was very comfortable and I enjoyed the Fleet bar (great view) and the Library.

If you are looking for a floating shopping mall you will not find that on Zenith. Otherwise I think you will have a great time. We are looking foward to sailing Zenith again this summer.

We were on Zenith 1/23/06 and could not ask for a better cruise. If I had listened to all the bad reviews I have read, I would have missed fourteen wonderful cruises. Seems someone has something bad to say about ever cruise. Zenith was a ship we would go on again. You could tell it was not a new ship but was weel kept. I had the largest, best cooked lobster I have ever had. I know what NMNita was speaking of on shorter cruises not being the same, but this didn't have that feel to us.

We are booked for April. With the other reviews on this board, we have become quite concerned and are considering cancelling - poor conditions/carpet/bathrooms/shoddy furnishings/etc. Doesn't sound like it would be to our liking.

Please advise on all conditions of the ship from cabin, bathroom, dining room, pool chairs, etc.

Food and service reviews seem to be fine.

Thanks!

Look at my review = back from the Zenith 1/23-1/28, there are only two negative comments, and it would not affect your trip in any way. Our cruise was great, ship very clean, fantastic service, good shows, most of the rooms have been refurbed, what else could you ask for, I say go for it. The Zenith is a wonderful, charming ship.

Leaving in 2 hours for the airport to board Zenith for the 3rd time in less than 2 years.

I love her and I'm sure you will too!

Have a great time Luckyroot, i wish we were on her now. I love that ship. Have a wonderful time. Are you doing the 4 or 5 night.

We were on Zenith 1/23/06 and could not ask for a better cruise. If I had listened to all the bad reviews I have read, I would have missed fourteen wonderful cruises. Seems someone has something bad to say about ever cruise. Zenith was a ship we would go on again. You could tell it was not a new ship but was weel kept. I had the largest, best cooked lobster I have ever had. I know what NMNita was speaking of on shorter cruises not being the same, but this didn't have that feel to us.

I noticed that about the lobster, it was a great cruise, there was nothing that I could complain about. What room were you in?

I agree, 100%. We sailed on the Zenith in December 2005. While all the decor was not *perfect*, the ship is very clean - immaculate - everything in good working order, service and food was great, and the personnel are genuinely friendly and caring.

You can ALWAYS find something that does not please you on a vessel if you look for it. I can honestly say, a bit of chipped paint, a less than perfect bathroom (chipped fixtures, etc.), worn carpet in areas, etc. doesn't bother me. After all, that happens naturally over the life of the vessel.

You have to consider the WHOLE cruise experience. ALL of our requests were granted. We experienced no major issues on our cruise. The small things, such as the slowly draining tub in our suite, were really way down there on our list. We were not thrilled with our waiter in the dining room, but it wasn't bad enough to request another table. The one or two complaints we had were quickly addressed and resolved. The larger vessels obviously have more glitz and offerings. And - they are newer, so are showing less wear. But for my money, the older, smaller vessels - Horizon and Zenith, we have sailed on both - offer things you will likely not find on the larger ships - more personalized service, a more intimate cruise experience, the opportunity to meet up with your fellow cruisers often while onboard.

As on ANY cruise, there will be some passengers who, for whatever reason, had an unsatisfactory experience - could have totally been the fault of Celebrity, could have been their expectations - but I think that happens on EVERY cruise. It's inevitable. But if I were you, I wouldn't let those few influence my decision to cruise on the Zenith. Zenith was pure class, personnel went above and beyond the entire cruise, food was good to excellent. Yes, she's an older ship, so yes, there are cosmetic *deficienies*, but honestly, is that so important in the grand scheme of things?

We would definitely book another cruise on the Zenith.

Karen

I and my wife and her parents just arrived home from a 5 day cruise on the Zenith. We left on the 28th of January. I had some reservations about this ship and itinerary. It was our 7th cruise and my inlaws first. I have only cruised on newer and bigger ships.

I was pleasantly surprised with my experience.

The whole experience was great! I found the ship to show some age but surely not as bad as some others have expressed. The service was great and the friendliness of the staff outstanding.

We had a rear room on the 5th floor and on our first night, we experienced some problems. I expressed these to guest services and they moved us to an new and better room. I did not expect nor request this. It just showed me how exceptional the service is with Celebrity. The following night, we had some excessive noise in the room next to ours, I tried to resolve this on my own with no success. I made the front desk aware of this, they followed up the next day to see if it was resolved. It had been. I also received a written apology for the excessive noise.

The food was very good and our waiters were fantastic!

Our room was very comfortable and always very clean.

I more than received my money's worth.

I think if one desires 5 star service and accomodations, they should be willing to pay 5 star prices.

I would highly recommend this ship to anyone, I also would cruise it again in a heartbeat.

From Minnesota

icon14.gif I loved the Zenith

I just recently returned from my cruise on the Zenith. Jan. 28th to Feb 2nd.

This is only the second cruise I have been on so I'm not very experienced. I loved the Zenith. I agree with all the positive comments in this thread about the excellent food and staff.

In addition I enjoyed being on a more intimate ship. I didn't have to waste time waiting for elevators as taking the steps was very convenient.

I enjoyed the piano player and singer Mike McCabe. He was very good and filled requests. The shows were enjoyable. We had no problem with any of the other guests and everyone really seemed to be having a good time. I for one was sorry to have the cruise end.

Our cabin was clean and roomy. It had not been refurbished yet, I could see the carpet and spread were faded but the sheets were clean and soft, I like a harder bed and slept well.

I would definitely go on the Zenith again. :cool:

Stefhef,

What can I say that everyone has not already said about one of the last of the smaller ships left at sea. Remember...25 years ago this would have been a large ship.

We cruised on her in 2002 and loved her and the crew. This was the first time on Celebrity for us. We had been on 15 cruises prior to this. We liked her so much in 2004 we did an 11 night Christmas cruise on her sister ship Horizon out of Tamap. Just as friendly and cozy. In December we will be sailing on the Zenith for Christmas for 11 nights again. We just love the way we are treated and the size of these ships. I think celeb made a mistake sending Horizon to another company. At least for now though we still have the Zenith.

Oh, make sure to visit the martini Bar:D (if you drink) before dinner. They make the best martinis at sea. It is also very close to the Rendez Vous Lounge so you can hear the music before dinner. Also we found that the same people go there every night. We made lots of friends there.;)

Have a great cruise.

Archived