Tell Us About Ultimate Caribbean 10 Day Cruise

moondoggie

We've done most all of the Celebrity 7-10 day cruises except this one, because we (1) don't want to fly to SJ to pick up the ship, (2) need to get out of town to warmer weather in the caribbean in january, and (3) can't go longer than 10 nights.

The POC include Puerto Limon, Colon, and Roatan, plus four sea days--which we enjoy. So here's the question: Are these three ports worth going to, or should we just duplicate other caribbean cruises?

We like beaches, but our DHs are amateur photographers, so they might like these 'different' POCs.

Thanks!

i did the Ultimate Caribbean at Thanksgiving '04 with a slightly different itinerary, and it was 11 days. I am doing it this Thanksgiving for 10 nights with your itinerary. I obviously liked it or I would not have re-booked it.

You have the opportunity to see the Panama Canal, first off. Or if you have already been thru the canal, there are many other tours you can take.

You can see the untamed wilds (mountains and beaches) or the more sophisticated capitals of Panama or Costa Rica with lunch in a real restaurant, not a snack box, included.

Regardless of their sophistication, they are still 3rd world countries where real people live and work (meaning it's not an island beach resort created just for cruise ship passengers).

Both of these POC offer many excursions that you can't get in regular Caribbean ports. For instance, a trip to the outskirts of the Arenal volcano in Costa Rica to spend the day at a resort with hot springs created by the volcano, with a nice lunch. Or a trip on the Tortuguera canals, a trip to a coffee plantation, or banana plantation, or pineapple plantation, monkey watching, or a trip to the Emberra Indian reserve replica in Panama.

Buy souvenirs (weavings, wood items) actually made there, or coffee actually produced there (or a Panama hat made there).

i could probably make the trip 4 or 5 times without being able to do everything I'd like to do.

We were on the 10 night cruise to the Western Carib out of Tampa aboard Horizon last March. We enjoyed all 3 ports especially Colon where we took the Panama Canal Tour via ferry.

Hi Everyone !

This is probably the best 10 night Ultimate Caribbean itinerary, but it wont be happening again until December. Constellation will be doing this itinerary. We did it several times on Summit, and it is by far, the best Celebrity Caribbean itinerary out there.

Here it is:

Day 1 Fort Lauderdale, Florida Departure Depart 4:30 PM

Day 2 At Sea

Day 3 At Sea

Day 4 Philipsburg, St. Maarten Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Day 5 Castries, St. Lucia Arrive 9:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Day 6 Bridgetown, Barbados Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Day 7 Basseterre, St. Kitts Arrive 10:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Day 8 Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 5:30 PM

Day 9 At Sea

Day 10 At Sea

Day 11 Fort Lauderdale, Florida Arrive 7:00 AM

If you are looking for a 10 night Caribbean, in late 2006 or early 2007, this is the best Celebrity option out there.

Enjoy your Cruise !

Host Andy and Texed:

Just curious why this is the best itinerary? We are looking to book early 2007 and are torn between the very itinerary you like vs the 11 nights on Galaxy.

As well, this will be our very first X cruise. Any suggestions of whether we should try Galaxy vs Constellation would be most welcome. I have 4 cruises "Grand Class" on Princess, and one RCCL on the Brilliance. But I am not opposed to going on a smaller ship.

Thank you in advance!

We are Celebrity lovers!;) If you liked the Brilliance OTS you'll be very happy with the Millennium class ships. Just about same size, same but different. We have cruised all of them except Constellation . Summit and Infinity are our favorites, but DH has decided on Constellation for this coming November 27, it will be doing R/T 11 days from Ft Lauderdale,Ultimate Caribbean. It had been docked in San Juan, and we can't see flying there from FLorida for a 7 day when we can do a 10 day for about the same cost. We have done this route before on Summit and loved it. Galaxy is a great ship also, but haven't been on it since its first year.

Hi Everyone !

This is probably the best 10 night Ultimate Caribbean itinerary, but it wont be happening again until December. Constellation will be doing this itinerary. We did it several times on Summit, and it is by far, the best Celebrity Caribbean itinerary out there.

Here it is:

Day 1 Fort Lauderdale, Florida Departure Depart 4:30 PM

Day 2 At Sea

Day 3 At Sea

Day 4 Philipsburg, St. Maarten Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Day 5 Castries, St. Lucia Arrive 9:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Day 6 Bridgetown, Barbados Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Day 7 Basseterre, St. Kitts Arrive 10:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Day 8 Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 5:30 PM

Day 9 At Sea

Day 10 At Sea

Day 11 Fort Lauderdale, Florida Arrive 7:00 AM

If you are looking for a 10 night Caribbean, in late 2006 or early 2007, this is the best Celebrity option out there.

Enjoy your Cruise !

Yeah Yeah......I like!!!!!! Sign me up. :D

Celebrity is also my favorite cruise line.

I have not done the 11-night Ultimate Western version, but have done it on RCL.

I have to agree about the 10-night Ultimate Southern Caribbean. In my opinion this is a one of the best Caribbean cruises you could do..., great ports with two sea days before and two sea days after the ports which I think makes it very relaxing.

I did this cruise in December on the Summit and have already booked it again for March 2007 on the Constellation.

If you had to pick on Eastern Caribbean cruise to do, this would be the one.

Since I prefer longer cruises, the ideal one would be a back to back doing the 10-nighter and then stay on for the 11-nighter.

Celebrity is also my favorite cruise line.

I have not done the 11-night Ultimate Western version, but have done it on RCL.

I have to agree about the 10-night Ultimate Southern Caribbean. In my opinion this is a one of the best Caribbean cruises you could do..., great ports with two sea days before and two sea days after the ports which I think makes it very relaxing.

I did this cruise in December on the Summit and have already booked it again for March 2007 on the Constellation.

If you had to pick on Eastern Caribbean cruise to do, this would be the one.

Since I prefer longer cruises, the ideal one would be a back to back doing the 10-nighter and then stay on for the 11-nighter.

Hi Cathy !

You can say that again. I only wish I could do 21 days in a row on a Cruise ship. For now, as my work schedule is difficult... 10 nights is about the most I can do. If you can travel for 21 days, the 10 & 11 night combo (back to back) is the best itinerary you could ever want, in the Caribbean.

Host Andy and Texed:

Just curious why this is the best itinerary? We are looking to book early 2007 and are torn between the very itinerary you like vs the 11 nights on Galaxy.

As well' date=' this will be our very first X cruise. Any suggestions of whether we should try Galaxy vs Constellation would be most welcome. I have 4 cruises "Grand Class" on Princess, and one RCCL on the Brilliance. But I am not opposed to going on a smaller ship.

Thank you in advance![/quote']

Hi Hi C's !

A few reasons why I like the Constellation itinerary over the Galaxy itinerary...

1. I have been on this itinerary several times, and the ports are outstanding.

2. The schedule of 2 sea days, 5 port days, and 2 more sea days... is great !

3. I prefer Ft Lauderdale departures over San Juan. I have not had good experiences at all, out of San Juan. Also, the Ft Lauderdale pier is about 10 minutes from the Airport. It makes for easier travel, for those who are flying into Florida.

Feel free to ask anything you wish to know. I hope I was of some assistance. No matter which ship you choose, you will have a great time !

Both of these POC offer many excursions that you can't get in regular Caribbean ports. For instance, a trip to the outskirts of the Arenal volcano in Costa Rica to spend the day at a resort with hot springs created by the volcano, with a nice lunch. Or a trip on the Tortuguera canals, a trip to a coffee plantation, or banana plantation, or pineapple plantation, monkey watching, or a trip to the Emberra Indian reserve replica in Panama.

Flashdog have you done both the trip to the Tabacon Hot Springs at Arenal and the Tortuguera canals? I'm trying to decide between the two and there isn't much information on these boards about either.

Hey Host Andy! Yes, we just LOVED that itinerary that we called 'The Saints plus Barbados'. The ports were excellent, and the four sea days, well, on Summit, let's just say that the T-pool and Aqua Spa cafe food were our 'shore excursions'. Don't forget to visit the sauna with the giant round window on the Mille class ships--it is wonderful.

Sounds like the Panama/Caribbean itinerary is a winner--we will probably do that one--thanks to all for responding.

Ladies, I also found it a great way to have a nice shower and dry my swimsuit out for the next day. Here's how to do it with the least amount of time and effort: after using the T-pool in the late afternoon, rinse off in the showers right next to the pool. Wrap a big towel around your body and strip off your swimsuit underneath. Pick up your coverup/flipflops/shampoo and proceed to the lovely ladies changing room. Rinse out your suit again in the sink, wring it out well, and roll-wrap it in another towel, squeezing out as much of the moisure as you can. Take your suit into the sauna and lay it loosely on one of the upper racks. Enjoy the sauna for a few minutes OR proceed directly to the shower cubes, which are larger than those in your cabin--trust me! Have your shower, towel off, and return to the sauna to help dry your hair--mine is long, so I combed it out and then popped into the sauna for about five minutes. After about ten minutes in the sauna your swimsuit will be damp but not dry. Return to your cabin, hang your suit up on the hook by your closet (bottom up) and it will be dry by morning. Plus, your DH can use the shower at his leisure, and you won't have to fight for space!

I feel a bit foolish asking this question because I've been around these boards for a long time. However, I can't seem to find the answer.:confused:

So bear with me and here goes:

This is the first time I have booked a trip directly with Celebrity and not with a TA. When the date arrives for final payment, will Celebrity send me a statement or will I just have to remember.

If I have to remember, how do you go about actually making final payment? Is there some place I have to call like Captain's Club?:confused:

Host Andy and Texed:

Thank you in advance!

We love the first two days and last two days at sea. It gives you time to enjoy the ship, and you are rested enough to enjoy the ports. Of course, if you do not like days at sea, you will not like it as well.

We always book directly through Celebrity and just made final payment for our 4/2/06 cruise within one week of the due date. We have never received any type of reminder from Celebrity, so be sure to mark your calendar.

Call in your payment to the Captain's Club (1.800.760.0654) - any agent can take the payment; just be sure to have your booking I.D. number handy and don't be on-line in your "My Celebrity" record when you call or the agent will not be able to access your record. I've never seen a way to make a payment on line - even though there's a drop down menu that leads one to believe you can do so. Personally, I always like to speak with a person anyway to make a credit card payment. You can then go into your on-line record about an hour or so after you've made your (final) payment and see that the balance reflects the payment.

Hope this helps.

As far as this particular itinerary goes, I agree with Host Andy - it's the best - we're sailing it for the 3rd time on the Constellation in 2007 and can't wait!!! :D

First, the OP Moondoggie said they had done all the Carib. itineraries and just wanted to know about the one that goes to Panama and Costa Rica which they had not done.

That cruise is now being offered on Zenith out of Tampa this fall and next spring. I am booked on Nov 17 and recently upgraded to CC. The following day the price went up $100 per person for my cabin. So anyone wanting to book it, better hurry! The POC besides the 3 mentioned include Cozumel and Grand Cayman. The price is good because Zenith is not an M class ship which is more expensive, and is convenient for driving for southerners.

Flashdog have you done both the trip to the Tabacon Hot Springs at Arenal and the Tortuguera canals? I'm trying to decide between the two and there isn't much information on these boards about either.

Wrp96,

I found this link on the Roatan board. He has a gazillion pictures. some were taken while he was on land trips, but you can see the Arenal Springs and Tortuguera canals on his Mexico/Central America page. I must have spent an hour there just looking at photos.

http://www.pbase.com/2112

The photographer got a clear view of Arenal in November, which is unusual during their rainy season, but I'm hoping.

if that doesn't work, (always works for me but my daughter tells me when I send them to her that they will not open) go to the Caribbean/Other board & one of the first posts is Isla Roatan where you will scroll down to find this link.

I have raised the question about info on Tabacon on the Costa Rica POC board and gotten no response. I am afraid it may be cancelled if no one but me signs up for it on the ship!

There are reviews of the Tortuguera canals by private companies on the Panama POC board, however. Some trips include Tortuguera with other activities, as well.

No, I have not yet been to Tabacon/Arenal. The operative word is YET. I want to do this in November! I have found a video of the hot springs at the resort which is darling. I'll see if I can find it. What I don't know is if we cruise pax can use the waterfall pools while we are there for 3 hours. We have to eat lunch, and the blurb on the Cel. website says we can wander and find our own pool etc. but it doesn't say to bring a bathing suit etc. I have emailed Tabacon and only received a generic response that they will get back to me and they have not. I've asked if we can use the pools. Their website shows a $34 fee, I think to use the facilities during the hours we'd be there, and I just don't know if that fee is included in the $108 Celebrity charges. I haven't asked Celebrity this yet. am waiting for Tabacon to respond. This is a 10 hour trip so there would be no time for a second excursion that day. I've contacted private tour companies and they say it's too risky time wise for them to schedule a tour for us, that it's better to take the ship's tour because you'd be the first one off the ship. Those without ship tours have to wait until those passengers have gone before they can disembark, so I can see that there would not be enough time.

We did not do the Tortuguera Canals, but something similar called the Pontoon Jungle ride which also went thru canals. We drove to the left of the pier by unspoiled beaches, passed a few houses but mostly rural country before arriving at the boat dock. They served us fruit and gave us bottles of water for the trip. The boat had a canopy in case of rain, and to keep some sunlight out, but it was a clear day and everyone wanted the top down, so we could see birds in flight more easily.

I keep hearing not to do the San Jose excursion from people who live there or have lived there, because there's not much to see and is just a city, but to go out into nature to a coffee plantation or a volcano etc.

Thanks Flashdog. I'll be in Costa Rica in about 3 weeks time. I'm thinking after looking at those pictures I will try out Tabacon. I'll let you know how it is. I'm going on Royal Caribbean but it sounds like the same excursion.

Host Andy and Texed:

You've convinced us! I'll be calling our TA tomorrow. We are all very much looking forward to our first "X" experience. Any words of wisdom when booking our rooms? We'll be looking at verandah rooms, but not CC level.

All suggestions would be most welcome!

Thanks again.

Archived