Seattle Pier 91 getting around

mleah73

Hi Everyone,  I am cruising for the first time with Princess in July, we are a family of 5 and I'm having difficulty finding a hotel that can accommodate us without getting 2 rooms.  I'm also spinning my wheels with what is the best way to get around. From the airport to the hotel, hotel to Pier 91, as well as in Seattle to see a few things.  Is Uber the way to go?  Or should we just rent a car?  Any advice?  I got a few suggestions for hotels, but was suggested I post here as well.  TIA!

Have you thought about rentin a house through AirBnB, VRBO, it Home Away?  We got a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath house that sleeps up to 14. We haven’t been there yet but pictures look amazing with lots of great reviews. We’ll be looking at either Uber or local public transportation while there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mleah73 said:

I am cruising for the first time with Princess in July, we are a family of 5 and I'm having difficulty finding a hotel that can accommodate us without getting 2 rooms.

Have you looked at a place like Embassy Suites in Pioneer Square? They have little suites with 3 queen beds in them (2 in the bedroom and a sofabed in the living room). Also might be extended stay type hotels that you could get a suite at for not an exorbitant rate. 

1 hour ago, mleah73 said:

s Uber the way to go?  Or should we just rent a car?  Any advice?

Uber is the way to go. It costs a fortune to park in downtown Seattle and you don't really need a car unless you were venturing out of the city. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately, as you are probably finding out, Pier 91 is not very convenient to downtown Seattle, and there are few choices for hotels near the pier.

I would book a hotel in downtown Seattle, and use Uber, Lyft, or a shuttle van service to get from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to the pier. Unless you're staying for several days before your cruise, I would not bother with a rent car. If you find the right place in downtown Seattle you can walk almost everywhere you'd want to go, and there are the streetcars and monorail as well. 

We stayed at the Four Points Sheraton near Seattle Center. We didn't want/need to be downtown and the room was definitely cheaper! Plus, we were right by the Space Needle, EMP museum, etc... Although I see they renamed that museum! LOL! But there's a lot to see/do right there. Then we'd hop on the monorail to go downtown for things like Pike Place, Underground Seattle tour, etc... It was super easy and cheap. We don't mind walking either, so we did walk quite a bit after getting downtown. We didn't use any Uber. As far as the cruise, the hotel did have a shuttle service I believe. But we had rented a car for 24 hours on our last day/night there, so we could drive out to some other areas east of Seattle. And when we dropped it the morning of the cruise, they had a complimentary shuttle service that we used.

If you want to save a bit of money getting to your downtown hotel,the light rail is $2.75pp and goes directly into the city, if you're staying downtown. From there you can take an Uber to your hotel or AirBnB if it's too far from walking distance, but you'll save on the cost from the airport to downtown ($40-60, depending time of day).For Pier 91, an Uber is your best bet, it's a bit isolated from any public transportation.Enjoy! 

Also, don't bother with renting a car. Traffic downtown is a nightmare most times of the day- the bus, monorail, light rail will get you to most touristy spots as well as Uber. Parking costs are $$ and it's not worth the headache. For a day trip, take the Washington State Ferry to Bainbridge Island - for $2.75/pp you get a 35 minute trip across the sound (I've seen otters and other sealife), to a very cute town within walking distance. 

Edited by psuboater
  • Like 1