New to Norwegian - some questions

shancan911

5 minutes ago, shancan911 said:

We’ll definitely work it out somehow.  Parents, 3 kids, 2 kids-law, 3 grandkids & a significant other.  We all play well in the sandbox together.  Will know more at the end of the month when final payment comes and we attempt to switch. And yes, it was the 20% promo. 

I think you will have to do a lot of thinking to make best use of the perks with that many people.

They might have also swapped you around so kids are not alone and an adult is in each room?

12 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I think you will have to do a lot of thinking to make best use of the perks with that many people.

They might have also swapped you around so kids are not alone and an adult is in each room?

There’s only one minor child.  We needed 5 cabins.  My in-laws (2 people) and my SIL, her hubby and minor children have all sailed NCL before.  So each of them are in a cabin with one of us newbies. 

1 minute ago, shancan911 said:

There’s only one minor child.  We needed 5 cabins.  My in-laws (2 people) and my SIL, her hubby and minor children have all sailed NCL before.  So each of them are in a cabin with one of us newbies. 

Perfect, that will make it a lot easier to maximise the perks per a cabin.

You (or whoever booked the cruise) should have gotten a Group Rate Package - all you need to qualify is 10 adults and 5 cabins. They get a good rate and choice of either 3 or 4 perks - one of which is the beverage package. https://www.ncl.com/group-cruises

NCL has several beverage packages 2 soda only, 1 beer and wine only, and 2 that include sodas through cocktails. 

Since you like martinis - I believe that the Jewel has a dedicated martini bar. 

Like others have mentioned, most of us get the beverage package as a perk and only pay around 20.00/day in gratuities on it. j So we break even with a couple glasses of wine and a cocktail each day. 

We have done three RT sailings in AK and have a fourth on the books for June 2021 on the Jewel - same route as you.

The NB route includes a fair amount of port time in the three main ports- AK is known for calm waters and scenery on both sides of the ship - you are almost never out of sight of land. The big exceptions are from the north end of Vancouver Island to the inlet to Ketchikan and from Hubbard Glacier to Seward.  To learn more about the ports I suggest that you look at www.cruiseportinsider.com for more info. I agree that $50.00/port will not get you much as most excursions in AK are quite expensive. Some of this is justified in the fact that most everything that comes into these cities is brought by sea or air - some of it is the tour operators make a full year's living during the summer season. There is a lot to choose from in each port - I recommend doing some research and do things that your are interested in - don't worry if not all of you want to do different things. That way you will all have a different story  to tell during dinner. For more ideas you can also look at the Alaska Destinations board here on CC as well as the West Coast Departures board. 

The cruise ends in Seward - but your flights leave from Anchorage - both bus and trains can take you there (NCL offers an airport transfer via bus). We will be fully retired by the time our cruise hits so we intend on spending some extra time to explore the interior of AK. I am in some early stages of researching our options but I think we will probably spend another week there before flying home. 

Enjoy your cruise and Alaska - remember this will be but one trip of a lifetime 🙂

Edited by bonvoyagie
  • Like 1