Cruising on the Paradise next Monday...Mom’s ID expired...what do we do???

pirate4me2

Hey all,

I’m hoping maybe someone else has had this issue before and can offer some insight. Before everyone says “get a passport!” let me say...I myself have a passport and I have been preaching at her to get one, but she has not. Argh!

Mom is cruising with her drivers license and birth certificate and realized today...her DL expired in October. She is going Monday to get a new DL, but our state issues black and white PAPER temporary IDs. Will that, along with her expired ID, be sufficient to get her onboard with her birth certificate? We are cruising from the Port of Tampa. I still cannot believe she let this lapse, ugh! At least she realized it BEFORE we got down to FL. 🙄

The paper license renewal WITH the expired picture license AND her birth certificate should be acceptable.  I would still recommend calling Carnival and/or your booking travel agent to confirm.  I recently had an episode with my wife’s birth certificate that I wasn’t sure would be acceptable.  Texted a pic to my TA & she confirmed it was.

2D6A9B99-6ED6-4913-B0E1-DCC1BD5CAD5B.jpeg

20 minutes ago, soonernstlouis said:

The paper license renewal WITH the expired picture license AND her birth certificate should be acceptable.  I would still recommend calling Carnival and/or your booking travel agent to confirm.  I recently had an episode with my wife’s birth certificate that I wasn’t sure would be acceptable.  Texted a pic to my TA & she confirmed it was.

2D6A9B99-6ED6-4913-B0E1-DCC1BD5CAD5B.jpeg

Thank you so much!! 

As expired forms of identification don’t qualify as acceptable, don’t count on it being suddenly accepted in conjunction with an unexpired unacceptable form of identification.    

Its pretty clear an unexpired form of government issued photo identification is a primary requirement for boarding. 

The new license temporary paper system that you receive when you renew your license does have the picture and is 100% compliant for anything that requires a drivers license. 

Edited by zorky12
  • Like 1

Good day!

Having been the unofficial cruise coordinator for my entire family and extended family for many years, I've had some experience with this kind of situation.  If I am going to the trouble of making arrangements and setting things up for folks, I have one expectation...that I get to see, either in person or via a pic, everyone's proof of citizenship.  I don't care how many times they tell me not to worry about it, that is the deal.  I also ask to see everyone's proof when we get in whatever vehicle we are taking to the airport or cruise terminal.

One day, I asked the question and my SIL gave me the look of death like "LEAVE ME ALONE" and explained how she was an adult, etc.  When we were in line to check in at the airport, she flips out and says "OMG, I can't find my drivers license."  We were panicked for what seemed to be an eternity, then she found it in a completely different place in her wallet.

That was the most satisfying apology I have ever gotten.

Good luck!

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

It may work getting on board, but if they have any issues where they can't complete the trip, that will be an issue. It would get worked out but not with out a lot of headaches. We went on a cruise in April and I know our passports don't expire for at least another 5 years, I still double check them. Plus I put them in our "travel file folder". 

I've been a check in agent for 14 years and I have never thought to check an expiration date of a driver's license.

As long as the person in front of me has a similar face and a BC and DL birthdate that match....that is my passing grade.

David

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 1:33 PM, Wheels87 said:

I also ask to see everyone's proof when we get in whatever vehicle we are taking to the airport or cruise terminal.

I do the same thing -- I would yell "passport check" and we'd get out our passports.  I did it when we got in the car, when we got out of the car, when we left the house...  I'm super-paranoid about it.  :-)

8 hours ago, JCinATL said:

I do the same thing -- I would yell "passport check" and we'd get out our passports.  I did it when we got in the car, when we got out of the car, when we left the house...  I'm super-paranoid about it.  🙂

You and wheels87 sound just like me.  My DD also has a friend traveling with us each year . We’ve taken 4 different ones so far and will take a new one this year.  I require they send me a pic of passport beforehand. We did cancel one girl because the parents wouldn’t get the passport.  I also do a passport check the night before we leave, after getting into the car to head to airport., and before leaving the hotel to head to port.  They laugh at me. I tell them it will be a lot easier to know where the passport might be if I know where we saw it last. 

Update: 

We are onboard! They never even checked her DL expiration date or asked to see the new paper license...whew! Much like David said in an earlier post. I can guarantee that mom will never forget to check her license renewal date again. 😂

• Like 3