Free Wifi: 250min or/vs 1000mb

mythstera

Hi, Im going on an 15 days NCL cruise soon. Within my free perks, I got the free wifi offer which is described as "250mins or 1000mb".

Anyone know what they mean exactly? Is there a way to choose between both? Or do they rather mean "until one limit is reached between 250mins and 1000mb".

Because personally that changes ALOT for me. 250mins is very little for me, but 1000mb would be enough for more than the whole trip. I will only be reading emails and news feeds while blocking all other apps from internet on android.

So is there a way to choose the 1000mb? If so, where? At the internet desk?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, mythstera said:

Hi, Im going on an 15 days NCL cruise ... got the free wifi offer which is described as "250mins or 1000mb" ... Is there a way to choose between both? ... will only be reading emails and news feeds while blocking all other apps from internet on android.

So is there a way to choose the 1000mb?

AFAIK, unless you are sailing on the Breakaway ... the rest of the ships in the NCL fleet are metering those on the basis of 250 minutes air-time, regardless of how little or much MB worth of data are used up.  

On Androids, be sure to turn off all background refresh, uploads & Play Store app "updates" as those will slow down the device ... ditto for running background apps.  Chrome browser can be bloated, use Opera or Opera Mini as alternate browser or at least install to have it available to run.  

If it is the BA, I've managed to stretch that 1 GB worth of data to a little over 1,000 minutes - download typically between 1.5 to 3.5 Mb speed and upload a little better, use 5 Ghz channels for less congestion.  

Otherwise, for the Getaway, Escape, Gem & Dawn (plus, indirect results from the Bliss) - each minute of airtime will consume anywhere from 1 to 4 MB worth of data, based on NCL's online usage meter, displayed when log-in and upon log-out.  Must remember to log-out after each use to stop the clock or those minutes will run out very quickly ... as early as Day 1, as one of our less tech savvy friend found out. 

No, sorry, you do NOT have a choice - please re-read my post again slowly.  For the Epic, it is 250 minutes.  Epic does not meter by MB and you cannot do it the 1GB way.  Going to the iCafe to see/ask the manager isn't going to help or do anything for you, but feel free to try if you insist.  

Only the Breakaway - and that was automatic then ... sailed her 4 times when ship was in NY.  In other words, you get 250 minutes only - regardless of how little or much MB data is being consumed.  For emails, news - download & read offline, quickly logout, etc. 

Edited by mking8288