Luggage Storage

BoatsandTrains

We will be heading eastbound in April and returning west bound in May.  While we are on land, we plan to store some of our luggage in Southampton  (one suitcase with our “dress up” outfits).   I believe Cunard offers this service.  Has anyone used it?  What are the logistics, such as where do pick up the stored bagged?

4 hours ago, BoatsandTrains said:

We will be heading eastbound in April and returning west bound in May.  While we are on land, we plan to store some of our luggage in Southampton  (one suitcase with our “dress up” outfits).   I believe Cunard offers this service.  Has anyone used it?  What are the logistics, such as where do pick up the stored bagged?

Cunard does offer this service. We've used it many times. It's simple and thus far it's worked flawlessly for us. They'll pick up your bag the night before you disembark and when you return, your bag will be waiting for you in your stateroom. Here are the instructions that appeared in the Daily Programme. Keep in mind that the price may have changed. "Guests who wish to store their luggage before disembarking Queen Mary 2 in Southampton prior to their return voyage in the future may do so with our port agent. Please register at the Purser's Office by 6:00 PM on [Day 5] The cost of this service is $65 per bag for up to 30 days and an additional $30 for the next 30 days. This will be charged to your on board account. You will be provided with a separate luggage tag and your luggage will be transported by the port agent to the Carnival UK storage facility until your return." 

Edited by Thaxted
  • Like 1

This is a very good service and we looked into this in the past but were not able to use it as we arrived on Princess and left on Cunard.  Instead we used a private storage company in London that did a great job, but it was London, and we paid more.

13 hours ago, Thaxted said:

Cunard does offer this service. We've used it many times. It's simple and thus far it's worked flawlessly for us. They'll pick up your bag the night before you disembark and when you return, your bag will be waiting for you in your stateroom. Here are the instructions that appeared in the Daily Programme. Keep in mind that the price may have changed. "Guests who wish to store their luggage before disembarking Queen Mary 2 in Southampton prior to their return voyage in the future may do so with our port agent. Please register at the Purser's Office by 6:00 PM on [Day 5] The cost of this service is $65 per bag for up to 30 days and an additional $30 for the next 30 days. This will be charged to your on board account. You will be provided with a separate luggage tag and your luggage will be transported by the port agent to the Carnival UK storage facility until your return." 

Lol this made me smile; I might have used this during the autumn in New York, had I known.  Instead I took some dry cleaners’ plastic clothes wrap and drove 6000 miles around the states with all my dress clothes wrapped in plastic on the back seat footwell of the hire car.

• 3 years later...

I’m on QM2 now (Dec 23) going to New York and have just requested 1 piece of luggage be stored when we disembark on 22 and come back on 3 Jan. although I was told prior to boarding that it would be $90, I’ve now been told it will cost $195. A bit steep but what is the alternative? 

We disembarked QM2 yesterday and thought the cost of storing an item of luggage at $65 for a few weeks was very reasonable.  Unfortunately can’t remember whether this was for 3 weeks or 30 days with an additional $30 per additional period.  This was promoted on the bottom of the back page of the daily programme (which we didn’t bring home). Would the charge differ between Southampton and New York and/or be more expensive over the Xmas holidays? Worth asking.

4 hours ago, Cembl said:

I’m on QM2 now (Dec 23) going to New York and have just requested 1 piece of luggage be stored when we disembark on 22 and come back on 3 Jan. although I was told prior to boarding that it would be $90, I’ve now been told it will cost $195. A bit steep but what is the alternative? 

I know my reply is not very sympathetic, but trying to be practical; at today's exchange rate that's about £83 more than you expected. What else can you do with it? Can you take it with you? Would you have luggage fees if you did and would they exceed £83/$105?

I'd be inclined to be annoyed and pay up.

4 hours ago, Pear Carr said:

We disembarked QM2 yesterday and thought the cost of storing an item of luggage at $65 for a few weeks was very reasonable.  Unfortunately can’t remember whether this was for 3 weeks or 30 days with an additional $30 per additional period.  This was promoted on the bottom of the back page of the daily programme (which we didn’t bring home). Would the charge differ between Southampton and New York and/or be more expensive over the Xmas holidays? Worth asking.

Yes, the luggage storage charges differ considerably between New York and Southampton. I haven't used this storage service myself, but here is a quote from the Cunard FAQ. This is a portion of the answer to the question "Is there the facility to store my luggage in New York or Southampton?"

"The cost to leave your luggage in New York are listed below, and varies on the amount of luggage you require to be stored*. Prices are per bag for up to 30 days and a further $30* per 30 days thereafter. This includes transport from/to the correct terminal, secure storage and insurance cover.

• 1 – 6 pieces - $264.84 per piece

• 7- 9 pieces - $209.00 per piece

• 10+ pieces - $161.78 per piece

The cost to leave your luggage in Southampton is $65.00* per bag for up to 30 days and a further $30* per 30 days thereafter. This includes transport from/to the correct terminal, secure storage and insurance cover.

*Prices are subject to change."

Of course relying on information in the FAQ can be problematic sometimes. But based on this FAQ answer, it would appear @Cembl might have actually caught a break by being charged only $195 to store one bag in New York.

• Like 1