kids getting free soda in dining room?

I am one parent who would be delighted if they did make that change. Even when it is very clear that a free soda comes with a kids meal at a restaurant, I don't let my children have it. They used to fill up on the sugary stuff before the dinner came, and not eat as much real food as they should, so we have had to stick to water with meals.

But of course I am the mean mommy if they know it is their "right."

I am just wondering why you would be delighted if they made the change if it doesn't apply to you. Some parents might like to give their kids a soda for dinner.

I am just wondering why you would be delighted if they made the change if it doesn't apply to you. Some parents might like to give their kids a soda for dinner.

It absolutely does apply to me. It applies to every parent, one way or another.

If sodas are not free, then not having soda is considered the norm, and my kids would be more accepting of not having soda. (And of course, parents who buy their kids soda get to be the heroes:)

If sodas are free, that is considered the norm, a lot of parents are going to let their kids have soda without considering the consequences, and my kids would be more questioning and demanding about why they can't have it. This happens all the time at land-based restaurants with free drinks as part of the kids menu. The servers are astonished that we wouldn't want the soda, since there is no extra charge, and sometimes they are quite pushy about it. My guess is that the Carnival policy was an extension of such a widespread restaurant practice.

But I have to question the consequences of the practice, since there is currently such an epidemic of childhood obesity. And so, yes, I'm delighted to see a practice that might discourage children's consumption of drinks that are unhealthy for them, and makes my job easier.

I am one parent who would be delighted if they did make that change. Even when it is very clear that a free soda comes with a kids meal at a restaurant, I don't let my children have it. They used to fill up on the sugary stuff before the dinner came, and not eat as much real food as they should, so we have had to stick to water with meals.

Good, do what you want and let others raise their kids the way they want to. Oh, if you could only see my eyes rolling right now. LOL!

Good, do what you want and let others raise their kids the way they want to.

I absolutely do. I just felt I should explain why the change in policy was not a universally bad thing, as it had been portrayed in all the previous postings. I have a right to be delighted, just as parents who want free soda have a right to be delighted if they are on a ship with that policy.

Oh, if you could only see my eyes rolling right now. LOL!

Around my house, we leave eye-rolling to the teenagers. And I would never laugh at another parent's viewpoint.

We were on the Elation and had to pay for our 11 year old soda in the dining rom on both nights.

ok-- back to the subject at hand...

Did you "buy" the cans of soda...or ask for the free glass of soda?

If getting a can of soda-- you will pay for it.

We were on the Glory 12/05. I asked the bar waiter for the free soda for the children, who were 8 and 10. He had no idea what I was talking about so he left to find out. He came back and apologized for not knowing the policy, and before I could say told ya so ;) , he explained that the policy has changed.

There was a soda card commercial at the Camp Carnival meeting on the first night.

Would be interested in knowing if anyone who has cruised in the last couple months has gotten the free dinner soda.

49 more days and I can check on the Destiny. :D

Would be interested in knowing if anyone who has cruised in the last couple months has gotten the free dinner soda.

If you read my post, I said that on my November cruise, I observed this at my table every evening.

Archived