Scooters, wheelchairs in corridors

daju22

Just thought I'd post that while on our recent Celebrity Infinity cruise to Hawaii, we saw 2 scooters and 2 wheelchairs always parked outside of the regular size cabins between the stern elevators and our cabin. We had a handicapped aft cabin. Don't know if this was happening in other areas of the ship.

I thought that alot of people said that the cruiselines did not allow this. Don't know if the people got special permission, but they were parked there all the time.

Guest Cookiegirl

On our October '05 Constellation cruise, there was a scooter in the hallway on the Penthouse Deck almost the entire time, except when it was being used. I was suprised that Celebrity allowed them to do that. My husband was in a wheelchair and I always had to find another way around that particular section of hallway in order to get to the theatre. His wheelchair folded so we took it into the cabin with us every evening.

We have booked a non h/c cabin on one ship. That is because that ship has no h/c balcony cabins, and we really enjoy our balcony cabin. When we were on that ship, the steward found us a place to park my scooter outside, but out of the pathway. It was in a small alcove, and close enough for my DH to go get it for me when we left the cabin. The alcove was convenient, and scooter was not in the way for anyone.

On the other hand, we were on the Island last Spring, and there were many scooters and w/c's parked in the hall, and in the little hallways to the laundry rooms. I could not get down any of those hallways with my scooter, and I don't know how the steward got by with his/her cart. I felt that having scooters and wheelchairs in the hall were a real safety hazard..............of course, I also feel that the stewards carts in the hallways can be a safety hazard. Until ships begin having more h/c cabins as more people age and have mobility issues, I don't know what the outcome of all this will be. IMHO, if they would just make doors wider, and put safety bars near toilets, and in showers, that would make it do-able for many people that cruise with mobility assistance.

This is a tough subject but it may suprise no one that I have an opinion.

Since I travel with my scooter I understand the need of someone to have wheels. I do however consider blocking the passageway for others the extreme act of rudeness. It is not only inconvienent to fellow passengers but dangerous in case of emergency.

So if someone blocks the passagway I report it to the customer relations desk and demand they solve the problem.

Of course the easier thing would be for the ships to have more rooms with wider doors if not full ADA compliance. Or wider passagways with the full 60" width required by ADA.

Not allowed, but some people don't seem to know that and the cruise line wants your business so is reluctant to ask the passangers to place the vechicles in their cabin. I suppost if there had been complaints, but people are reluctant to complain about disabled people except amongst themselves.

I totally agree scooters and wheelchairs in hallways is a problem however wider doors is not the only answer. I used a regular wheelchair for several years (30 or so cruises) and only once had a H/C cabin. I did not buy a scooter until I found one that went through the standard Cruise Ship door. I ride my scooter right into the cabin!! Never left it outside and I don't leave home without it! My "Fold and Go" scooter has served me well on 15 cruises in the last 3 years. Leaving Sunday on Costa Magica and have 2 others booked so far this year. Getting on and off ships and doing bus tours have never been a problem with my scooter either. Life on a ship since my scooter has made cruising for me better than ever.

The scooters and chairs that do not fit into the cabins can usually be left in the area near the elevator doors. Usually there is a corner there that is convenient and not in the pathway.

Warning to all scooter and chair users: find out the first day on the ship which public restrooms will accomodate you. Not all of them will. We observed an incident on the Miracle where a woman on a scooter made it into the restroom but there was no way to manipulate her scooter to get it back out. Everyone of the restrooms are slightly different so map them out before you need one.

Archived