How good (safe) is laundry service?

CeeeKr

As most have posted only send items you don't mind having washed in HOT water.  I sent a pair of slacks once and they were returned looking like pajamas.  Husbands new golf shirt came back with color changes..  I took it to guest services and they asked how much we paid for it and then gave OBC for the amount.  They kept the ruined shirt.  I have received other guests clothing mixed with mine on a couple of occasions.  I always carefully record what I have sent and then check it off when the clean clothes are returned.  I also have heard stories from fellow cruisers about missing clothes.

I don't know about the cost as someone asked because I do not have to pay due to loyalty level.

Like everyone else we are careful what we send.  It is going to get boil washed and tumble dried so it has to withstand that.  Gents shirts, underwear (not bras anymore - lost 3 in a 10 day cruise last year all with the underwires pulled out). It has massive advantages (like snit - we don't pay for laundry so no idea on price) but you do have to be careful.  I have been known to board with DH's jackets  and send the lot immediately to dry cleaning rather than do it on land first!

2 hours ago, Paulras said:

Not the best but gets the job done for t-shirts, shorts, underwear and socks. I find it's very harsh on clothes and never really comes out very clean. Last month my swim trunk came back missing the string and I'm still looking for another swim trunk that seems to be missing. Couldn't wait to get home and rewash all my clothes with good detergent and fabric softener. 

I guess the wash and press is "No strings attached". 😁

20 hours ago, CeeeKr said:

Obviously I wouldn't send anything super-delicate, but how have folks fared with laundry service in general? Usually not an issue but we're going to be on the road for an extended amount of time.

I am new to cruising.   Are you concerned about laundry service loosing or damage to your delicates?   Do they starch and press?  Press seersucker?  

What is the typical turn around time?

Edited by Justalone

46 minutes ago, Justalone said:

I am new to cruising.   Are you concerned about laundry service loosing or damage to your delicates?   Do they starch and press?  Press seersucker?  

Turn around time is 1 day if picked up before 10 am the day before. Not sure about starching but they will clean and steam press. Do not send delicate items or items which have any type of ornamentation such as pins chains etc. Remove them from article first as may break during steaming process.  

1 hour ago, Justalone said:

We had about 15 years of good experience and then a bad spot happened on the Infinity several years ago.  They shrunk old T shirts and actually shredded some clothes. Had a Tommy Bahama shirt they ruined.   Only gave future ship board credit which was useless since we needed clothes on the cruise.  Why they don't offer clothes from the ship stores is beyond me.

45 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

We had about 15 years of good experience and then a bad spot happened on the Infinity several years ago.  They shrunk old T shirts and actually shredded some clothes. Had a Tommy Bahama shirt they ruined.   Only gave future ship board credit which was useless since we needed clothes on the cruise.  Why they don't offer clothes from the ship stores is beyond me.

No they give you a form to fill out and submit once home with details of damaged items. They also wanted proof of price paid for item.  Too much work so didn't bother but I've now learned from experience. This was the first time I ever sent anything for cleaning and pressing.