Shark valley

helvic

Hi, we want to go out to Shark Valley during our pre cruise stay in Miami but are having difficulty planning our journey there from our hotel in Brickell. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Nick 

6 hours ago, helvic said:

Hi, we want to go out to Shark Valley during our pre cruise stay in Miami but are having difficulty planning our journey there from our hotel in Brickell. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Nick 

Since it is 25 miles west of the Turnpike, your choices are probably renting a car or finding a guided tour that includes this park.  Too far out for public transportation

• 3 weeks later...

We have been to shark valley many many times.  The only way to get there is to drive.  We had a condo in Naples when my kids were growing up and Shark Valley was one of their favorite places.

Route US 41/ Tamiami Trail goes through and ends in Brickell.  There is exactly one road that goes to Shark Valley, lucky for you, it is US 41/Tamiami Trail!  Just drive west.  Once you get out of the Miami traffic, it will be wide open as most everyone takes Alligator Alley now as opposed to the trail to get back and forth between the coasts.  It’s not very far, less than an hour.

Rental cars are very reasonably priced all through Florida and the concierge at your hotel can most likely arrange for one at the hotel.  If not, there are numerous agencies in Miami and you could probably walk or Uber to one close by.

Regarding Shark Valley, when you get there, first thing buy a ticket for the tram.  They are limited and fill up pretty quickly.  If you don’t buy one right away, you may have to wait an hour or two for the next available one.

The tram ride is a narrated tour through the park with a naturalist doing the narration, about 90 min to 2 hours with one stop where you walk up a circular ramp on a ranger tower.  The park naturalists are great and you will count alligators, always over 100, the birds are abundant and beautiful.  If you have binoculars, don’t forget them!

You can also rent bikes and ride the path or hike it.  We did that a few times but now with all the pythons competing with the alligators for food sources, I think I would stick to the tram!

Don't expect anything touristy, although I haven’t been there for awhile.  It’s a national park and the park service is serious about protecting the environment.  There are a few buildings with exhibits and the paths.   It’s a really nice place to spend a day.

One last thing, the Trail (US 41) goes through the Seminole reservation and it is clearly marked when you enter it.  If you speed, AT ALL, you will get a ticket.  It’s a big source of revenue and they ticket everyone!

I hope this helps!