Gateway compared to HAL ships

Hello all,

i mostly cruise HAL.  However, we will cruise from Rome in Nov on the Gateway.  I read the NCL info on their web site but I would like to hear from you.  This ship carries up to 4,000 passengers which is more than double what we are used to.

1-) How is tendering?  Do they prioritize their 4*-5* passengers (which we are not obviously)?  I am assuming we will tender in Santorini & Mykonos but I have not look into it.

2-) What about the new escape room?  Do you have to pre book?

3-) Do you have to pre book to attend any shows?

4-) Mini golfing, climbing wall....  Are they all free?

Any other info will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

The Canadians!😎

P.S.  it is -42C with windchill where I live.

Edited by cashmeremypuppydog

1) Suites and higher loyalty levels have priority tenders. If you purchase a NCL excursion they deal with the tender. NCL introduced a pay for perks program where among other things you get priority tender. Otherwise you're signing up for tender tickets based on the system the ship has.

2) I believe you can only book on-ship, but you'd want to do it the first day or risk it being sold out

3) You don't have to but it's the only way to guarantee a seat. The theater isn't big enough for everyone on board to see a show in the 4 shows it runs. They almost always let standby people in but it's not a guarantee.

4) Mini golf, climbing wall, and ropes course are free

Oh a big difference my mom always forgets (as she's done a few on HAL but only one on Royal and a NCL before I was born) is that the happy hour HAL has is just a thing they do. Besides a drink of the day (that's still around $9 + 20% gratuity) and a few classes that have drink flights there's no drink specials.

Edited by smplybcause

We love the Getaway and have sailed her twice, in the Caribbean.  There will most likely be a notice in the daily paper detailing how to get tender tickets--not sure how NCL does this.  Do you tender in Mykonos?  We didn't, but we were on another line.

We pre-booked the Escape room.  We mostly booked shows just a little ahead at one of the electronic kiosks located around the ship or at the 'box office' which is near the theater, I believe.  A couple of times we just walked in.  Do not miss "Million Dollar Quartet".

We did not notice it being especially crowded.  I will say that we have only sailed HAL once and weren't impressed.  We were 72 at the time.

You will probably tender in Santorini & Mykonos. We didn’t have a problem getting off at either but we were on a smaller ship. But to get back the lines in Santorini to take the cable car down the cliff were right through the streets and then there were long lines to board the tenders.  Spoiled the day really as it took us 2 hours so my advice would be to read all the information available to you and all the tour options to get to Oia , (its the other side of the island. ) including any that avoid Thera and the cable car. I believe you can get boats from the little port area the tender drops you off at.

On a positive note we have sailed on the Getaway 3 times and love it. I would book everything you can if you know what you want when you want to eat which shows you are going why not book. 

Why waste your time aboard when you can do it online before hand , there are things that can only be done onboard like comedians and the new Escape room so do asap .

Have a fab cruise.

Thank you everyone for the great replies.

We were planning to buy our cruise last minute (Sept or Oct) after final payment.  

When can you start booking your shows, escape room?  As soon as you have a booking?  That would really penalize us to book at the last minute...  Any idea what I can do to solve this problem?

The cold Canadians!😎  

Edited by cashmeremypuppydog

2 minutes ago, cashmeremypuppydog said:

We were planning to buy our cruise last minute (Sept or Oct) after final payment.  

When can you start booking your shows, escape room?  As soon as you have a booking?  That would really penalize us to book at the last minute...  Any idea what I can do to solve this problem?

The cold Canadians!😎  

all prebookable items open at 120 days out (130 for Haven guests) so if you book after final, it will be as soon as you book.  Dining reservations only release about 30% of capacity for pre booking, so should have plenty available at boarding.  Not sure about the shows, but we have never had a problem getting them even when we booked after final payment.

2 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We pre-booked the Escape room.  We mostly booked shows just a little ahead at one of the electronic kiosks located around the ship or at the 'box office' which is near the theater, I believe.  A couple of times we just walked in.  Do not miss "Million Dollar Quartet".

We did not notice it being especially crowded.  I will say that we have only sailed HAL once and weren't impressed.  We were 72 at the time.

Hello Nebr.cruiser,

HAL has smaller ships & great itineraries so it is why we cruised mostly with them.  Their entertainment is terrible but I am not an evening person and need my rest for the next port of calls.  But now I have to say Norwegian is really stepping up to the plate with great itineraries.  We usually do B2B (2x 14 days) and the itineraries are extremely important to us.  Norwegian has great value like HAL.

We are allowed to bring 1 bottle of wine/person on HAL on embarkation day.  Is it the same with NCL?

Thank you

The Canadians!😎

8 minutes ago, cashmeremypuppydog said:

Hello Nebr.cruiser,

HAL has smaller ships & great itineraries so it is why we cruised mostly with them.  Their entertainment is terrible but I am not an evening person and need my rest for the next port of calls.  But now I have to say Norwegian is really stepping up to the plate with great itineraries.  We usually do B2B (2x 14 days) and the itineraries are extremely important to us.  Norwegian has great value like HAL.

We are allowed to bring 1 bottle of wine/person on HAL on embarkation day.  Is it the same with NCL?

Thank you

The Canadians!😎

NCL charges a corkage fee of $15/bottle for wine brought on board, regardless of where you drink it (i.e., restaurant, your cabin).  They do this at check in before you board.  If you put it in your checked luggage, you run the risk of them putting your luggage in the "naughty" room and you have to go to the Customer Service area to get it back.  No other beverages are allowed to be brought on board, including bottled water.

1 hour ago, cashmeremypuppydog said:

The cold Canadians!😎  

What the other poster said is true time wise. However, I've booked 30 days out and been able to get reservations for shows. And I procrastinated on my last cruise and didn't do it until less than 30 days out. If it's only 1 or 2 people it's easier to get reservations. Especially if you're flexible on the time/day. 

Thank you again for the great replies.

i have another question.  With HAL, if you own at least 100 shares,  you receive free OBC depending on the length of the cruise.  Does NCL have something similar?  Is so, where could I read all the details.

i think a Mediterranean cruise in November is “low season” and I will take my chances in buying after final payment. 

The Canadians!😎

11 minutes ago, cashmeremypuppydog said:

Thank you again for the great replies.

i have another question.  With HAL, if you own at least 100 shares,  you receive free OBC depending on the length of the cruise.  Does NCL have something similar?  Is so, where could I read all the details.

i think a Mediterranean cruise in November is “low season” and I will take my chances in buying after final payment. 

The Canadians!😎

They do  http://www.nclhltdinvestor.com/static-files/91699aad-cb30-4ff6-8e40-4dc290cb03b5

2 hours ago, KarlChilders said:

Thank you again everyone.

Carnival Corp is a bit more generous as the $250 OBC is for sailing of 14 days or more and NCL is for sailing of 15 days or more.  They are many 14-day cruises out there...

We have sailed so many 14-days cruises...  This last spring, we did 3 cruises with HAL: 14 day- 14 day and 15 day for a total of $750 OBC.  If it would have been with NCL, the OBC would have been only $300.  

The other OBC are the same.  Maybe they will revise their decision from 15 to 14 in the future...Let’s hope.

The Canadians!😎

On our Getaway cruises in the Caribbean, we didn't book even one event before sailing.  We booked several things about the day before or even an hour or two before.  We also just walked up and into the theater a couple of times.  The Escape room we booked on the morning of the day we went.

Possibly if you want seats front and center, they would be gone, or perhaps early shows?  We usually prefer later shows.

I of course can't guarantee that this would work on all cruises.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

18 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

On our Getaway cruises in the Caribbean, we didn't book even one event before sailing.  We booked several things about the day before or even an hour or two before.  We also just walked up and into the theater a couple of times.  The Escape room we booked on the morning of the day we went.

Possibly if you want seats front and center, they would be gone, or perhaps early shows?  We usually prefer later shows.

I of course can't guarantee that this would work on all cruises.

Actually, even for those with reservations, the seating is first come, first served, there are no reserved seats other than those saved for the Haven folks.  However if it is full, those without reservations aren't allowed in until a few minutes before showtime, so the "good" seats may be gone by then.