Sharing internet on jewel in 2 cabins

Gracelyn

Hi, we will be traveling on  a 14 day cruise but wonder if anyone knows if we can share an internet package with my sister a few cabins away, and recognizing it’s one device, is there a package where2 devices can be used?

gracelyn

Edited by Gracelyn
Spelling

You can register easily a dozen devices and upon logging in, access the satellite WiFi internet - but, only one device at any given time.  The onboard server(s) upon activation, will check for "cookies" & device's "Mac" addresses to grant access ... we had smartphones, iPhone, iPad, a tablet and a notebook PC all "enrolled" or registered from the cabin (or, in different cabins as in your case) - sharing the same log-in account info (userid's).  

If you are NOT on one of the unlimited plan, remember to log-out each time after use to stop the metering.  Each (newer) device that log-in will display a pop-up prompt that another device is logged in already, and if you proceed, the system/server will drop or disconnect the (older) device.  

Just share the log-in info between the 2 of you and set up a schedule or time limit of how much air-time each person will / can use - before being subject to the "dropped" by the other, or something like that.  

Of course, NCL will be happy to offer to sell you a 2-users discounted plan for unlimited access, or even a 3-users and 4-users discount plan.  For your convenience, of course = $$$

Screenshot_20191220-232051.png

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

Awe, ok I get that. So the key is unlimited and log out so the other can use it. 
I was unable to find the 2-user u limited package on their website. Hoping to order this before our cruise. 
appreciate your help

gracelyn 

If you wanted to use more than one device at a time, each device would need its own plan.  NCL does not offer a discount for that (I know RCCL does offer multiple device plans).  If you attempt to log on while another device is still logged on, you will be asked if you want that device to be disconnected.  So technically on the unlimited plan you do not have to log out for others to use, but if someone is logged on, they may get logged off by the new user.

7 hours ago, gizfish said:

If you wanted to use more than one device at a time, each device would need its own plan.  NCL does not offer a discount for that (I know RCCL does offer multiple device plans).  If you attempt to log on ...

Yes, sorry ... I stand corrected. It was an exclusive last month for the Norwegian Gem, that we sailed on.  The offers we/everyone onboard received ... not pre-cruise, as this is fairly new. Of course, YMMV and subject to change without notice, including pricing & availability, etc. 🤫 🙊

Kindly refer to one's Freestyle Dailies for all offers ...  I shall vouch only for the Gem's availability.

IMG_20200117_234652529.jpg

IMG_20200117_235046068.jpg

Edited by mking8288

On 1/16/2020 at 11:16 PM, Gracelyn said:

Awe, ok I get that. So the key is unlimited and log out so the other can use it. 
I was unable to find the 2-user u limited package on their website. Hoping to order this before our cruise. 
appreciate your help

gracelyn 

We are just off the Getaway, and were told that you cannot pre-order the 2 and 4 device packages. You can only get those when you sign up for the internet on-board. 

Because we had pre-purchased an unlimited internet plan, the manager in the internet cafe had to cancel that purchase, re-fund the charge to our on-board account, then setup and charge us for the 2 device plan we wanted. 

Attached is the brochure listing the prices for various #'s of devices. Apologies that it's hard to read...that's the way NCL prints it!

Internet.pdf

17 minutes ago, SuperDave70 said:

Could you just use your phone as the one device on the plan, and then use it as a wifi hotspot to connect other devices?  I know not all phones will allow this, but there are some out there that do.

I did wonder about that. I can turn on my hotspot but my sister doesn’t have an iPhone. Does that matter? And do you have to be in close proximity to grab the hotspot? We are a few floors apart 

1 hour ago, Gracelyn said:

I did wonder ... I can turn on my hotspot but ... you have to be in close proximity to grab the hotspot? We are a few floors apart 

Typically, some i/smartphone can act as hotspot using the incoming cellular signal - I do that all the time over my T-Mobile USA plan (it is allowed & not throttled badly).  You will need a doubled/bridged connection to do that relay work - easier to do with a laptop PC or one of the highy-rated nano travel router, in which the duplexed speed will be reduced further, by definition - 50% - making it slow, very slow, awfully slow to almost unusable; even if it is not detected and blocked/connection dropped.  This is tricky for the average cruisers and hospitality vendors are getting smarter in blocking these efforts, using a variety of methods.  YMMV, it might work but odds are it most likely won't work reliably and consistently to make it worthwhile.  

Indoors with metals & visual obstructions, expect a working range of 50' to 100' at most. 

Some of the earlier discussions on NCL ... lately, it's is getting more difficult to bypass and evade - IMHO, forget streaming over satellite at sea with the ship moving; and, pay for that slow speed connection when using it, one device at a time - or, stay off-line and use shore-based cellular or free/unsecured open WIFi, while expecting interference.  

On a 25/25 Mbps+ or better fiber-optics hard-wired ethernet connection, I would do it running DD-WRT customized firmware over a Linksys & select TP-Link/Edimax or HooHoo travel router, if it isn't blocked or locked down tightly by the ISP/vendor.  

10 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Typically, some i/smartphone can act as hotspot using the incoming cellular signal - I do that all the time over my T-Mobile USA plan (it is allowed & not throttled badly).  You will need a doubled/bridged connection to do that relay work - easier to do with a laptop PC or one of the highy-rated nano travel router, in which the duplexed speed will be reduced further, by definition - 50% - making it slow, very slow, awfully slow to almost unusable; even if it is not detected and blocked/connection dropped.  This is tricky for the average cruisers and hospitality vendors are getting smarter in blocking these efforts, using a variety of methods.  YMMV, it might work but odds are it most likely won't work reliably and consistently to make it worthwhile.  

That's good info.  My phone will do a wifi relay, which is why I asked.  But, I hadn't considered all the other stuff you brought up.  I appreciate the reply!