Question re dress code the 1st night on Infinity

DedeM

I've been on RCCL and it's pretty casual the first night. I understand that Celebrity is much more formal in general.

I'd like to wear nice jeans to board the ship and then to dinner, will they let me in for dinner in jeans? Should I leave the jeans at home?

I'm leaving tomorrow morning and doing my last minute packing and don't know what to bring.

TIA

Yes they will let you into the dining room with jeans on no matter what night. The only time someone said they were turned away was during an afternoon "Elegant Tea". Of course if you are coming from home, you can carry on something more resort casual than the dreaded jeans. However to be honest, they will let you in any night wearing jeans.

I've been on RCCL and it's pretty casual the first night. I understand that Celebrity is much more formal in general.

I'd like to wear nice jeans to board the ship and then to dinner, will they let me in for dinner in jeans? Should I leave the jeans at home?

I'm leaving tomorrow morning and doing my last minute packing and don't know what to bring.

TIA

The first night's attire will be what Celebrity defines as "Casual".

Jeans don't really fit within that description, but on the 1st night, it's almost always a matter of "run what ya brung" within reason.

Dede,

I hate to see you get information that is not true. You may be admitted to the dining room, but I have seen people turned away at the door for wearing jeans too. Here is Celebrity's policy that is printed in the ship's daily aboard every Celebrity ship on every cruise.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/75017138/1075047595042664116MTJxJN#

Dede,

I hate to see you get information that is not true. You may be admitted to the dining room, but I have seen people turned away at the door for wearing jeans too. Here is Celebrity's policy that is printed in the ship's daily aboard every Celebrity ship on every cruise.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/75017138/1075047595042664116MTJxJN#

Agree with MABell, the information you were given reflects only one ship during one week. I have seen people turned away for wearing jeans from the dining room and the theater. First night is a little more lax but bottom line is you could be taking a chance.

I live in jeans during the winter and the last thing I would do is wear them in the Caribbean at any time of the year. Very uncomfortable.

Dede,

I hate to see you get information that is not true. You may be admitted to the dining room, but I have seen people turned away at the door for wearing jeans too.

I have been on the same ship twice and never saw anyone turned away for wearing jeans and certainly not on the first night. Despite what it says in the daily, I saw plenty of jeans in the main dining room at both breakfast and lunch even though it said not permitted "at any time". You are quoting policy, but I am talking about actual enforcement each night.

Yes, I had a feeling that it's not too cool (even though they'll let you into the dining room) and I'm perfectly fine adhering to that standard.

Thanks for posting that, Ma Bell.

I noticed under "Ship's Dress Codes" it says no jeans. Then if you look up to the right, under restaurant attire, it says nothing about jeans.

Nothing like a little ambiguity ;) It's ok though, I like to dress up. :)

I have been on the same ship twice and never saw anyone turned away for wearing jeans and certainly not on the first night. Despite what it says in the daily, I saw plenty of jeans in the main dining room at both breakfast and lunch even though it said not permitted "at any time". You are quoting policy, but I am talking about actual enforcement each night.

I've been on 22 Celebrity cruises and have seen people turned away on a number of occasions, but I guess you know better than I do. As I said, Flagger, they may let you in...sometimes they do.

I find it interesting an attempt to discredit someone's information as invalid because of the number of cruises they have been on. It is not like I am lying about what I observed or conversations I had with many crew and staff.

Certainly on the first day no one is going to be turned away because of difficulties getting 6000 pieces of luggage to all aboard in time for dinner. And yes people have gotten their luggage before dinner as well. You should note that the daily says jeans are never permitted in the main dining room at any time. I certainly saw plenty of jeans both in Alaska and on my previous cruise at both breakfast and lunch in the Trellis.

In 18 cruises, only once was my luggage delivered later than 4PM. However, I always pack dockers and a collared shirt in my carryon for first night's dinner. Remember, most people consider Celebrity as one of the dressier lines. Yes, jeans and shorts are ok for breakfast or lunch in the DR. Five Celebrity cruises, so far, and I've yet to see any jeans in the DR at night.

Yes, jeans and shorts are ok for breakfast or lunch in the DR.
See that goes against what appears in the daily as linked above.

Jeans, t-shirts....are not permitted in the Cosmopolitan restaurant at any time.
Then again it could have been an error in the Daily. I know that happened on our most recent cruise which listed the dress for the final night as FORMAL.

I have been on a mix of Celebrity cruises. I think it depends on where you are cruising. On transatlantic and Europe, I not sure if I ever saw jeans in the dining room at dinner. You definately will see them as well as shorts for breakfast and lunch.

I think you could see some on the first night only because some luggage may not have made it to the rooms especially on cruise that sail after dinner.

My experience is almost all people will follow the dress code and dress to formal, informal and casual.

In 18 cruises, only once was my luggage delivered later than 4PM. However, I always pack dockers and a collared shirt in my carryon for first night's dinner. Remember, most people consider Celebrity as one of the dressier lines. Yes, jeans and shorts are ok for breakfast or lunch in the DR. Five Celebrity cruises, so far, and I've yet to see any jeans in the DR at night.
OK, troops. Let me just add further to the confusion... A direct quote from a typical Celebrity ship's daily:

Dress Code in our XXXX Restaurant:

Jeans, bathing suits, beach robes, tank tops or bare feet are not permitted in the Orion restaurant at any time. Shorts are not permitted at dinner time. Guests are expected to respect this sailing tradition for the ambience of the cruise.

Now, to further confuse that... a brass placard in the entryway of the main dining room of at least a couple of X's ships including Galaxy - I have a pic of that one - notes that shorts are not permitted in the main dining room at any time.

Sufficiently confused, one and all?

And HDawson -- same day travellers flying into San Juan from anywhere but the East Coast rarely see their luggage that early, although I'll grant you that it's an unusual case. On our first cruise out of San Juan (Galaxy, 02/01) from Denver, we raced directly from the airport to the dining room and were some of the last to be served that evening.

Yes they will let you into the dining room with jeans on no matter what night. The only time someone said they were turned away was during an afternoon "Elegant Tea". Of course if you are coming from home, you can carry on something more resort casual than the dreaded jeans. However to be honest, they will let you in any night wearing jeans.

Flagger,

I don't know what your problem is. I'm not trying to "discredit" you. You told the lady she would be admitted "any night wearing jeans". I think she deserves to know that it's very possible she could be stopped at the door at dinner time. I've seen it happen. You made it a point that you had been on two cruises and observed this, so I thought she might like to hear about my experience as well. I've never seen anyone wearing jeans in the dining room at night but I don't doubt that you have. I have always received my luggage before dinner as well, but that's probably because we have late seating. I think the lady understands what I was saying.

All I was saying is your posting "I hate to see you get information that is not true." came across to me as saying what I had posted was in fact incorrect. All I know is based on what I witnessed, what was told to my when I asked by several crew and staff they are currently not turning away people for not following the requested dress code. As this OP did talk about the first night, I should have left it at that. Definitely the code even on a "dressy" line as Celebrity is a bit more relaxed on the first night as they realise not everyone will get their luggage in time for dinner.

I think we can agree that there are inconsistencies applied across the fleet that fly in the face of the official policies, requests, requirements and suggestions.

I think we can agree that there are inconsistencies applied across the fleet that fly in the face of the official policies, requests, requirements and suggestions.

We don't agree on too much, Flagger, but I'm 100% with you there. I've frequently seen 1st nighters on itineraries that depart around dinner who have definitely just crawled in off the airport bus. I would imagine that this is why the first night on every Celebrity cruise I've been on is a Casual night and never Informal or Formal. It seems to provide everyone a bit of slack and places minimal demands on those who may be bit harried from the travel.

We've only been caught this way twice -- once as noted above, and another time arriving at the ship in Vancouver JUST before departure. Even though we arrived late, we were assigned an early open seating for the first night, and the bags arrived about 5 minutes before early seating. Based upon those two cruises, we've since given up on the idea of showing up for cruises same-day no matter the departure port, so we no longer have any excuses!

I could swear that's what I said. But what you said was incorrect. You told her without qualification that she would be Ok at dinner any night, not just that you had seen some people admitted.

Your right MA, I have seen numerous people in all manner of dress on the first night but to say every night is incorrect information and could cause the poster to have an embarising situation.

Archived