RSS Exp vs Splendour and Grand vs Splendour Suites

kristabel36

Hi Cruisers,

Hubby and I have been booked on the RSS Explorer (Grand Suite) but have had to reschedule our cruise and will now be on Splendour (2021)  instead of the Explorer (2020). Looking at the Suite layouts/descriptions I can't see much difference (if any) between the Grand Suite and the Explorer Suite other than the size of the deck (and we don't really care that much about the deck size TBH).  If anyone can comment I'd really appreciate it.  

Accidentally didn't submit this and in the meantime have found that my comments above pertain to a floor plan of the Explorer and Grand Suites on board RSS Splendour courtesy of the Cruise Mapper website.  Am now looking at another website and (this makes more sense) it states that what were the Explorer suites on the Explorer...are now called the Splendour Suites on the Splendour....makes sense!  Comments on differences would still be appreciated however.  So much contradictory info out there!!! Thanks.

Explorer suites are on Explorer - Splendor Suites on Splendor.  BAsically same deck plan and same suites with perhaps a slight difference in the colour of the decorations between the two ships.

There are Grand Suites - and Grand suites however.   The stern Grand Suites, the ones with the huge terraces, are smaller inside the suite than the forward and mid ship Grand Suites.   So if size in the suite matters to you don't pick the aft ones (784 and 785).  To me it all depends on what the cruise is!  If weather is going to be warm to hot - I want more space outside.  If to Alaska or Scandinavia or japan etc - I would take the suites with larger interiors.

Something else to note:  In the Grand suites that are forward you won't get much use out of your balcony when the ship is underway nor at night.  The movement of the ship creates a lot of wind so being outside is neither easy nor pleasant and at night the amount of outside light is restricted in any suite around the Bridge for navigational reasons.   Also the Grand Suites forward on deck 12 have been reported as being noisy in the evenings due to the Observation lounge being right above.  I don't know if this has been fixed on the Splendor.

If you want to see photos of suite 784 on Explorer look at post 12 on this thread:

image.png.2338616d320180ca85039ac5a2d20c3d.png