RCCL Alaska Pre-tour travel times

robigs

Thank you in advance.  My wife and I are fixin' to take the "10 Night Alaska Wildlife Express Cruisetour 1B (Pre Tour)."  I am a bit daunted by all the train and bus travel, and no one, not even the folks at RCCL, can tell me what time of day these land trips are and how long they take.  So, one day we go Anchorage to Talkeetna by train, then Talkeetna to Denali by bus.  Next day is a "wilderness tour" by bus, then, I infer, a separate bus back to Talkeenta.  Then the next day bus to the ship in Seward, BUT TWO (??) stops, one in Anchorage and one at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center?  I realize this sounds whiny but . . . if anyone has experience with this and can help me anticipate the various lengths and hand-offs it will help me manage my, um, concern.  (Or maybe I just pay out of pocket and Uber from Talkeetna to the ship?) (Wink.)  (Well, kinda wink.)  Thanks again.

Is this your cruisetour ? 

http://www.royalcaribbeancruisetours.com/content/uploads/2017/12/RCI_1B_Tour.pdf

Unfortunately with these short cruisetours , most of your time is spent in transit because they try to cover too much territory in 3 days.  So in the end the customer gets short-changed.

If you look at the schedules of the Alaska Railroad and the major bus carrier,  you can piece the itinerary together and come up with some approx times.

DAY 2    The train from Anchorage to Talkeetna takes 3 hrs,   8am - 11am.   

The itinerary says you arrive to Denali at 4:30pm by bus.  Given that it's a 2 1/2 hr drive, you must leave Talkeetna around 2pm,  which gives you about 3 hrs of free time in Talkeetna

DAY 3    Natural History Tour  start times are between 7-7:30am and last about 5 hrs, so you'll be done around 12:30pm.   The itinerary says you're on your own in Talkeetna starting 5:30pm.  Given that it's a 2 1/2 drive, you must leave Denali around 3pm 

Day 4   The bus from Talkeetna to Anchorage takes about 2 hrs. So you'll probably have a few hrs free time in Anc to have lunch and wander around.  Then it's about a 1 hr drive to the Alaska Conservation Center,  where you'll probably spend 1 hr, then about another 2 hr drive to Seward.  (since this day is all by bus, its hard to know or guess the departure times, but my guess is that you'll leave Talkeetna around 8-9am, probably arrive in Seward around 5/6pm ?

I'm sorry to say that your time in Denali is very poor !!  The Natural History Tour only goes to Milepost 30 of the park road. There are almost 100 miles of park road !!  so you are missing opportunities to view scenery and wildlife. Prime bear viewing is around mile 50.   On some cruisetours, you can upgrade to a longer tour of the park, but unfortunately you don't have the time.

Too bad you didn't post before you booked this trip. Is it too late to cancel the land portion .... you could do better on your own with a rental car or  by reserving seats on the train or bus.

Anyway, this is the best I can piece together, based on the train schedule and travel times. Good luck

links to the train, and bus, plus Denali tour options

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/ride-a-train/schedules

https://www.alaskacoach.com/schedule/

https://www.reservedenali.com/tours-transits/the-denali-tour-experience/denali-natural-history-tour/

Edited by mapleleaves
add links

If it's not too late, I'd cancel the cruisetour portion of your trip. You'd be much better doing the trip on your own with a rental car. Typically on the cruisetour you'll have to have your luggage out the door by 6am. 

Of course with just 3 days, it's challenging to get to Denali & back and have any meaningful time at Denali National Park...

You mentioned using Uber to get from Talkeetna to Seward. I doubt you'll find an Uber being willing to make that trip.

As someone who also lives in Alaska I have to echo "AkStaffords" comments.  Please consider canceling the cruisetour and plan a DIY.  Really easy to plan a DIY pre-cruise experience.  Not only will you most likely save a significant amount of money but you will also see what you want to see and experience.

Regarding what I interpret to be the second day of your tour, the transfer from DNP to Talkeetna, most likely will be by motor coach, but also could be on the Alaska Railroad.  And the transfer from Talkeetna to Seward very likely could be by motor coach with the two stops.  Given the distance between Talkeetna and Seward any Uber driver willing to take the drive will charge a significant amount -- more than you will want to pay.

Have you reviewed the cruise reports, organized by year, located at a the top of this forum index page?  Has someone posted details on this RC cruise tour?